Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting IF section problem. syntax error: unexpected end of file error Post 302911413 by Corona688 on Thursday 31st of July 2014 01:41:55 PM
Old 07-31-2014
I don't think you can just dump a raw number into [ ] like that without telling it what to do with that number. [ "$?" -ne 0 ] or such.

But if you just want to use the return value, do so directly. The ! reverses it to 'if not':

Code:
if ! tail -50 SapAdapterInboundRfc-P30-SapAdapterInboundSynchronous.log | grep -i "Error" >/dev/null
then
        echo "There is no error in the last 50 lines in the logfile"
fi

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

syntax error at line 59: `end of file' unexpected

Hello... I'm trying to run the sshd script, but I keep geting the Syntax errot message . Here's the last few lines on the script. set nu in vi shows 58 lines, but I keep getting error referring to line 59. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Remi else echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Remi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error: unexpected end of file

Hi, I need ur help is this matter, i have th ebelow script, and i keep getting this error: syntax error: unexpected end of file affectedRow=`cat dbOutput.log | grep "1 row affected"` echo "affectedRow : $affectedRow" if ; then echo "Look to the next OMCDB" ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alaeddin
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have a script that's failing ./zzmaster.sh: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file There are 4 scripts total involved. The first 'znocc0.sh' essentially curls a page then does some sed sequences... #!/bin/sh #GET SENTINAL INFO curl -b z0cookie.txt -L -k -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi, I have problem in constructing "IF" condition. The below code throws "tst.sh: line 10: syntax error: unexpected end of file" #!/bin/ksh test=9 echo $test if ] then echo "in" fi echo "end" exit 0 Actually, i want to check whether the variable $test is empty or null. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinku
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi, I am newbie to UNIX scripting. I am facing this error "syntax error: unexpected end of file" while executing the following script: ------ a=$1 if then sqlplus -s prospect_stg/prospect_stg@mdmpt <<END insert into bckup_marc_parameter_lookup select * from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I will appreciate help is this matter. i am getting this error (./getwind.scr: line 41: syntax error: unexpected end of file) in the following script : ############################## #QSUB -eo -q sb -lT 1200 -s /bin/csh #Run on an HP-UX machine or norway to access ncks # lat and lon are in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeriich
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error unexpected end of file

I am new to unix, so thank u for ur patience I try to make it work (to duplicate two first columns in several files): #!/bin/bash for i in `seq 2 5` do awk `{ print $1,$1,$2,$2,$3,$4}` final_chr.${i} > input_${i} done and i get ./my_script3.sh: command substitution: line 5: syntax... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kush
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cygwin syntax error: unexpected end of file

Hi, I am getting error while running the script. "syntax error: unexpected end of file" if i do cat i cant see the content of the script also it is showing as cat test.sh doner /home/master/* /home/Priya/$i| while read i j The original script is paste /home/names.txt /home/ip.txt |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error `end of file' unexpected

I checked the forum and internet, tried different workaorunds but it didnt fixed the error. Please advise on the code. #!/bin/sh CWD=/home/test/Bench cd $CWD (grep "`date +%d-%b"`" File.txt) > /home/test/Bench/dateout if then echo “data” > /home/test/ Bench /test else echo "File... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajjev_saini123
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected End of File Syntax Error

Hi, I am brand new to this so I apologize ahead of time for any formatting problems. I know there is a previous (closed) thread on here about this problem but I wasn't able to fix the error following the posts there so I thought I could create a new one. Here is the error I am getting: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SierraG
3 Replies
SINCE(1)							   User Manuals 							  SINCE(1)

NAME
since - display content of a file since the last time SYNOPSIS
since [-aefhlmnqvxz] [-d seconds] [-s file] files DESCRIPTION
since is a utility designed to monitor log files. since is similar to tail(2) as it also displays information appended to a file. However since only displays the data which has been added since the last time since was run. If since is run on a particular file for the first time, then the entire file is displayed. EXAMPLE
since /var/log/apache/{access,error}_log > /dev/null lynx --dump http://localhost/ > /dev/null since /var/log/apache/{access,error}_log OPTIONS
-a Make updates to the since state files atomic. This option configures since to use a temporary file and a rename(2) instead of updat- ing the state file in situ. -d seconds Specify the number of integer seconds to wait between polling files for changes. This option is only relevant in conjunction with the -f option and if the inotify mechanism is not being used. -e Print the header lines to standard error instead of standard output. -f Follow the specified files. This option is analogous to tail -f as the files are also polled for changes until the process is inter- rupted. -h Print a terse help message. -l Relaxed mode. If some data files are inaccessible since will not fail completely. -m Disable mmap(2), use read(2) instead to access state and data files. Note that for certain smaller io operations read(2) may be used even if this option has not been given. -n Do not update the .since file which keeps track of file growth. -q Make the utility operate more quietly. -s filename Specify the state file explicitly. Using this option will also disable the use of fallback state files. -v Increase the verbosity. This option can be given multiple times. -x Ignore file arguments which have compressed extensions. -z Discard output. Similar to redirecting the output to /dev/null, but faster. If used in conjunction with the -f option, only the ini- tial output will be discarded. FILES
.since State file recording the length of the previously displayed files. The location of the file can be set on the command line using the -s option. If this option is not given, since will check the SINCE environment variable for the location of the state file. If the SINCE environment variable has not been set since will use the HOME environment variable and store the information in the file $HOME/.since. If the HOME variable is not set, since will use a getpwuid(3) lookup. If all these fail will use the file /tmp/since. BUGS
since uses the inode of a file as its key, if that inode is recycled since will get confused. since is not particularly efficient when storing or looking up the stat(2) information. Functionality equivalent to since can probably be achieved with a number of trivial shell scripts. COPYING
since may only be used, distributed and modified in accordance with the terms of the GPL (GNU General Public License) version 3 or newer as published by the FSF (Free Software Foundation). SEE ALSO
tail(1), stat(2). Linux JULY 1998 SINCE(1)