Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Telnet vs netcat behavior
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Telnet vs netcat behavior Post 302910592 by ckmehta on Friday 25th of July 2014 01:52:47 PM
Old 07-25-2014
Pretty sure it was TCP, but just to confirm, here are my failing results:
Code:
> telnet 107.249.95.5 4488
Trying 107.249.95.5...
Connected to 107.249.95.5.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> close
Connection to 107.249.95.5 closed.
> nc -zuv 107.249.95.5 4488
^CExiting.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet behavior

Hi there, I've an stupid question. If I make a telnet to a server from my computer and then execute a command that starts an application (on the server), when I disconnect, the application stops running, which is pretty obvious. Is it possible to add a flag at the end of the command so when I cut... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
4 Replies

2. Programming

netcat like file transfer

Hi Folks I am not a c programmer .But i need help in writing a program which can do this any ideas on how to go about it . i start a server on the target server where files need to be copied start-server -port 5006 & ---start the server and listen it on a partcular port on the source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxdba
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Netcat with Authentication?

I'd like to do a data transfer without encryption but with a guarantee that my data comes from a legit source. I'm thinking something that uses a public key scheme to sign the data. Does anyone know of something like that? Thanks! -Pileofrogs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pileofrogs
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

netcat

Is there a way how to react on the message a client sent to the server? I would like as the client sent message to server: "get information such and such" and server would answer. Thank you for reply! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Please help me to install netcat on solaris

hello guys, i want to install netcat on my solaris. after i tar and gunzip netcat i'm confuse what do i must to do ? please help me to install netcat on my solaris. I'm beginner :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praset
2 Replies

6. Linux

Thank you radoulov for your help on netcat command (nc -lp)

Hello, Thank you very much for the line nc -lp <port> . I tried to run simple chat session with nc as it's shown in catonmatDOTorg but failed miserably with that syntax inspite of opening port 7777 by iptables . But your command example is working nicely. So a bagful of thanks :)) Only one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Post using nc(netcat)

Hi; I have a url like http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/dates/nextPageToPost.jsp?name=ajay&password=pas&sex=Male&check=on&nationality=USA&description=aa&submit=submit in which i want to use nc for http post for parameters like "name","password"....etc can neone please help me how to do that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Help with Netcat

Hi all, I know my question is regarding Windows and not Linux, but I simply need people who know Netcat pretty well and I'm guessing here is a good place for that. So on with my question. I'm doing some research, and I was playing around with netcat on a WinXP VM but I can't seem to get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrCrumbs
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to Windows from Linux using NetCat

Hi Need help to connect from Ubuntu to Windows using NetCat nc I can not get my script to send new-line Her is what I have tried(sleep 2 ; echo user ; sleep 1; echo pass; sleep 2; echo netstat) | nc -t 10.10.10.34 23 gives this outputÿý%ÿûÿûÿý'ÿýÿýÿûWelcome to Microsoft Telnet Service ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jotne
1 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Netcat ( nc -l ) as webserver

Dear Linux guru's I am trying to create a webserver using nc (netcat only) on RHEL 7.2 running on bash shell. now the easy thing is to get nc listing to a port and respond back $ while true; do { echo -e 'HTTP/1.0 200 OK\r\n'; set; } | nc -l 7877; done This when called from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
3 Replies
VOS_SETADDRS(1) 					       AFS Command Reference						   VOS_SETADDRS(1)

NAME
vos_setaddrs - Set new addresses for a file server's entry in the VLDB SYNOPSIS
vos setaddrs -uuid <UUID of server> -host <IP address>+ [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-verbose] [-encrypt] [-noresolve] [-help] vos seta -u <UUID of server> -ho <IP address>+ [-c <cell name>] [-noa] [-l] [-v] [-e] [-nor] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The vos setaddrs command sets the IP addresses for a server entry in the Volume Location Database (VLDB). Specify one or several IP addresses. All existing addresses in the VLDB server entry are replaced with the new addresses given on the command line. To find the UUID for a server entry, use the "vos listaddrs -printuuid" command to display all VLDB server entries with their UUIDs. CAUTIONS
Normally, the best way to change the registered addresses for a server entry is to restart the File Server process after changing the network configuration for that server and possibly the NetInfo and NetRestrict files for that server. See NetInfo(5) and NetRestrict(5) for more information about configuring the File Server to register the correct set of addresses. This command can be used to change the registered addresses without restarting the File Server, but the next time the File Server is restarted, it will register all of its known addresses again. You should therefore always ensure that the File Server configuration is correct for whenever it is next restarted before using this command. Setting the wrong addresses will make the volumes on that file server unreachable from AFS clients. This command was introduced in OpenAFS 1.5.74, but can be used with any version of the Volume Location Server. OPTIONS
-uuid <UUID of server> The unique ID as provided by the "vos listaddrs -printuuid" command. -host <IP address>+ The new list of IP addresses for the File Server. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see vos(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see vos(1). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The vos command interpreter presents it to the Volume Server and Volume Location Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument or -noauth flag. For more details, see vos(1). -verbose Produces on the standard output stream a detailed trace of the command's execution. If this argument is omitted, only warnings and error messages appear. -encrypt Encrypts the command so that the operation's results are not transmitted across the network in clear text. -noresolve Shows all servers as IP addresses instead of the DNS name. Lets you work with IP addresses for input, without the DNS translation between the input and the registration of the IP address in the VLDB. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command sets addresses 192.12.107.214 and 10.47.11.17 for the UUID 008f157e-bad0-157c-0ffee-357c4d1faa77 % vos setaddrs -uuid 008f157e-bad0-157c-0ffee-357c4d1faa77 -host 192.12.107.214 -host 10.47.11.17 -verbose vos: Changed UUID with addresses: UUID: 008f157e-bad0-157c-0ffee-357c4d1faa77 192.12.107.214 10.47.11.17 PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
Issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on each database server machine. SEE ALSO
CellServDB(5), NetInfo(5), NetRestrict(5), UserList(5), sysid(5), fileserver(8), vos(1), vos_listaddrs(1) COPYRIGHT
KTH 2010. All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 VOS_SETADDRS(1)