Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Telnet vs netcat behavior
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Telnet vs netcat behavior Post 302910481 by ckmehta on Thursday 24th of July 2014 07:01:59 PM
Old 07-24-2014
Then why is my telnet connecting (or appearing to)?

Who says I am brute-force-scanning all these ports, I am testing specific IP addresses and ports over a VPN to a real-time application service that I need to ensure 24/5 availability on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet behavior

Hi there, I've an stupid question. If I make a telnet to a server from my computer and then execute a command that starts an application (on the server), when I disconnect, the application stops running, which is pretty obvious. Is it possible to add a flag at the end of the command so when I cut... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
4 Replies

2. Programming

netcat like file transfer

Hi Folks I am not a c programmer .But i need help in writing a program which can do this any ideas on how to go about it . i start a server on the target server where files need to be copied start-server -port 5006 & ---start the server and listen it on a partcular port on the source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxdba
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Netcat with Authentication?

I'd like to do a data transfer without encryption but with a guarantee that my data comes from a legit source. I'm thinking something that uses a public key scheme to sign the data. Does anyone know of something like that? Thanks! -Pileofrogs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pileofrogs
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

netcat

Is there a way how to react on the message a client sent to the server? I would like as the client sent message to server: "get information such and such" and server would answer. Thank you for reply! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Please help me to install netcat on solaris

hello guys, i want to install netcat on my solaris. after i tar and gunzip netcat i'm confuse what do i must to do ? please help me to install netcat on my solaris. I'm beginner :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praset
2 Replies

6. Linux

Thank you radoulov for your help on netcat command (nc -lp)

Hello, Thank you very much for the line nc -lp <port> . I tried to run simple chat session with nc as it's shown in catonmatDOTorg but failed miserably with that syntax inspite of opening port 7777 by iptables . But your command example is working nicely. So a bagful of thanks :)) Only one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Post using nc(netcat)

Hi; I have a url like http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/dates/nextPageToPost.jsp?name=ajay&password=pas&sex=Male&check=on&nationality=USA&description=aa&submit=submit in which i want to use nc for http post for parameters like "name","password"....etc can neone please help me how to do that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Help with Netcat

Hi all, I know my question is regarding Windows and not Linux, but I simply need people who know Netcat pretty well and I'm guessing here is a good place for that. So on with my question. I'm doing some research, and I was playing around with netcat on a WinXP VM but I can't seem to get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrCrumbs
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to Windows from Linux using NetCat

Hi Need help to connect from Ubuntu to Windows using NetCat nc I can not get my script to send new-line Her is what I have tried(sleep 2 ; echo user ; sleep 1; echo pass; sleep 2; echo netstat) | nc -t 10.10.10.34 23 gives this outputÿý%ÿûÿûÿý'ÿýÿýÿûWelcome to Microsoft Telnet Service ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jotne
1 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Netcat ( nc -l ) as webserver

Dear Linux guru's I am trying to create a webserver using nc (netcat only) on RHEL 7.2 running on bash shell. now the easy thing is to get nc listing to a port and respond back $ while true; do { echo -e 'HTTP/1.0 200 OK\r\n'; set; } | nc -l 7877; done This when called from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
3 Replies
dp(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     dp(4)

NAME
dp - dedicated ports file used by DDFA software and Telnet port identification feature DESCRIPTION
The file has two uses: The file is used by the Datacommunications and Terminal Controller Device File Access (DDFA) software to allow terminal server ports to be programmatically accessed from HP-UX applications in the same way as devices connected directly to the HP-UX sys- tem. It contains a one-line entry for each configured terminal server port. The file contains the information the DDFA software needs to set up and manage an outbound connection to a specified terminal server port. The file is parsed by the Dedicated Port Parser which spawns an Outbound Connection Daemon for each outbound connection specified in the file. The file is used by the HP-UX telnet daemon to identify the calling port and board of a telnet connection from an HP Datacommuni- cations and Terminal Controller (DTC). At connection time, the host negotiates the telnet environment option and the DTC replies with the port and board number of the connecting device. maps the port and board numbers to the well-known name for the device, which has previously been con- figured in the file. Datacommunications and Terminal Controller Device File Access For outbound connections, an entry should have the following format: The exact details of each field are given below. Telnet Port Identification To configure the file for using the Telnet port identification feature, the default file should be copied to a new file and the copy con- figured with the appropriate values for the incoming connections. The recommended procedure is to create a directory to hold the file and the modified port configuration files. An entry for this purpose should have the following format: The exact details of each field are given below. Configuration Information There are three ways to specify a terminal server port: o Explicitly specify its IP address. o Specify the node name or the IP address of the DTC then specify the board and port. o Specify the node name or the IP address of the terminal server and the TCP port service address of the port. Comments in the file can be appended by starting them with a character. Everything after the is ignored by the parser. Fields in the file are separated by space characters. See ddfa(7) for more information on how to configure the DDFA software. The fields of an entry of the file are as follows: dtc_name This field is the node name or the IP address of the terminal server being accessed or the IP address of the port on the terminal server. A node name must be defined in a name database. This field contains the terminal server port address with the parts separated by the character. It is not necessary to pad the values with leading zeros. The port address is not checked by but is checked by Valid values are 0 through 7 for board, and 0 through 31 for port (these restrictions do not apply if the TCP port service address is specified instead). If the dtc_name field explicitly defines the node name or the IP address of the terminal server port, the value in the field must be (use or If the field is of the form where n is a decimal number, n is assumed to be the TCP port service address and it is used when the connection is established. pseudonym This field is the absolute path of the device file known to the system and the end-user application. The device file name portion of the path name is limited to 14 characters. pc_file_path This field is the path to a port configuration file which contains the configuration information for the terminal server port. This field is mandatory for outbound connections as uses the presence of this field as its flag to spawn a daemon for the entry. log_level This field is the logging level for the particular and it determines the severity of messages sent to The logging levels (and how they relate to system logging levels) are as follows: Log only LOG_CRIT messages. Log only LOG_CRIT and LOG_ERR messages. Log only LOG_CRIT, LOG_ERR, and LOG_WARNING messages. Log all messages. It is optional and may only be specified for outbound connections. If it is omitted, the logging level is set to 1. EXAMPLES
The following examples illustrate file entry syntax. A printer is connected to port 1 of board 3 of a DTC with the IP address 11.234.87.123. The device attached to the port can be accessed with the HP-UX spooler by using the device file A printer is connected to a terminal server port with IP address 11.234.87.124. The field contains The device attached to the port can be accessed with the HP-UX spooler by using the device file A printer is connected to a port accessed with TCP port service address 5001 of a terminal server with the IP address 11.234.87.215. The device attached to the port can be accessed with the HP-UX spooler by using the device file A terminal is connected to port 1 of board 2 of a DTC with the IP address 11.234.87.215 and wishes to use Telnet port identification. WARNINGS
In order to ensure that commands (such as ps) display the correct device file name (that is, the pseudonym), all pseudonyms should be placed into the directory If pseudonyms are not specified for placement in this directory, the correct display of device file names with many commands is not guaranteed. In addition, in order to ensure that commands (such as and work correctly, each pseudonym must be unique in its first 17 characters (including the directory prefix If pseudonyms are not unique in their first 17 characters, the correct functioning of many commands is not guaranteed. FILES
SEE ALSO
dpp(1M), ocd(1M), ocdebug(1M), syslog(3C), pcf(4), ddfa(7). dp(4)