Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New to ISQL
Top Forums Programming New to ISQL Post 302910450 by migurus on Thursday 24th of July 2014 02:38:52 PM
Old 07-24-2014
When you have isql installed, to list tables just type help and push <GO> button. Your question 2 is not clear. To query data you just type the query in the isql query area and hit <GO>, use <BLANK> key to start over
This User Gave Thanks to migurus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

isql

What does the isql command do for solaris 8???? Is this something that comes with solaris because I have it at work but not at home. Plus does anyone know a good SQL site where I could learn all the sql commands thankx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding isql

can anyone pls explain me the command $ isql -Usa -SIN63DS -Pgoalmal 1>load database STS_IN_PRD from "/STSDBBakup/ AEOD20030509" 2>go thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

isql - select ... where ...

Hi, Please help me to solve this problem on Unix isql. Following is an example table and expected select result. I need to select NAMEs where those NAMEs don't have a record which TYPE='T1'. I tried, but got both N2 and N3. NAME TYPE DATA --------------------- N1 T1 D11 N2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: momi
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

isql output

hi all i m running following code # set up environment . /u/pimms/pimms_global.ksh echo "Get record from database" #echo ${PIMMS_ID} #echo ${PIMMS_PWD} #echo "1" isql -U${PIMMD_ID} -P${PIMMS_PWD} -S$SRV << eof > /sybase/applications/pimms/bin/automate1.txt use pimms ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_swapneel14
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

isql out in shell script

Hi I wrote a script for connecting isql(Sybase database) and stored the SQL output in Unix box. my script: isql -U${USER} -P${PASS} -S${SERVER} <<EOF > $WORK_DIR/out1.log go select convert(varchar(10),sdcurrent,101) from pr_sysdate go exit EOF Unfortunately, the output file not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ISQL - SELECT AS

I have been given an SQL script I need to convert to ISQl. In the styatement it has the following line which is flagging an error: Select stocknum as 'bipart' this comes up with: 201: A syntax error has occurred Does ISQL support the SELCT AS statement and if not is there a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andydb70
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ISQL syntax

Hi All, I'm niks and i'm a newbie here and newbie in shell, i'm just wondering what is the meaning of -U -P -S in the sample script below. "-U iccbs_dbo -P iccbsdbo -S CCB_REO" Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

isql can't read code

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie here can you please help me reading this code. because i'm confuse. select b.field_value, b.cust_ac_no, b.net_svc_id, b.inst_seq_no, b.field_id, b.comp_status, b.inst_status, b.inststdt into bash_temp -- is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with isql in Shell Script

Hi Guys, I need help with my code. I am not able to find what the error is (tried debugging and everything). #! /bin/sh # MODSET_CLOSE # Usage: modset_close echo "Enter the Type of Modsets that needs to be Closed: " read mod_typ serv_name=`cat $mod_typ | awk '{ print $1 }'`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrish
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't log in with -P for isql

Hi all, I am a newbie with isql, so couldn't find what is the problem by myself. I am writing script at Solaris which will log in to DB, run some SELECT queries and put in to some file. The problem is that whe I am trying to log in with: /eniq/sybase_iq/OCS-15_0/bin/isql -U username -P... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
4 Replies
PREPARE(7)							   SQL Commands 							PREPARE(7)

NAME
PREPARE - create a prepared query SYNOPSIS
PREPARE plan_name [ (datatype [, ...] ) ] AS query INPUTS plan_name An arbitrary name given to this particular prepared query. It must be unique within a single session, and is used to execute or remove a previously prepared query. datatype The data-type of a parameter to the prepared query. To refer to the parameters in the prepared query itself, use $1, $2, etc. OUTPUTS PREPARE The query has been prepared successfully. DESCRIPTION
PREPARE creates a prepared query. A prepared query is a server-side object that can be used to optimize performance. When the PREPARE statement is executed, the specified query is parsed, rewritten, and planned. When a subsequent EXECUTE statement is issued, the prepared query need only be executed. Thus, the parsing, rewriting, and planning stages are only performed once, instead of every time the query is executed. Prepared queries can take parameters: values that are substituted into the query when it is executed. To specify the parameters to a pre- pared query, include a list of data-types with the PREPARE statement. In the query itself, you can refer to the parameters by position using $1, $2, etc. When executing the query, specify the actual values for these parameters in the EXECUTE statement -- refer to EXECUTE [execute(7)] for more information. Prepared queries are stored locally (in the current backend), and only exist for the duration of the current database session. When the client exits, the prepared query is forgotten, and so it must be re-created before being used again. This also means that a single prepared query cannot be used by multiple simultaneous database clients; however, each client can create their own prepared query to use. Prepared queries have the largest performance advantage when a single backend is being used to execute a large number of similar queries. The performance difference will be particularly significant if the queries are complex to plan or rewrite. For example, if the query involves a join of many tables or requires the application of several rules. If the query is relatively simple to plan and rewrite but rel- atively expensive to execute, the performance advantage of prepared queries will be less noticeable. NOTES In some situations, the query plan produced by PostgreSQL for a prepared query may be inferior to the plan produced if the query were sub- mitted and executed normally. This is because when the query is planned (and the optimizer attempts to determine the optimal query plan), the actual values of any parameters specified in the query are unavailable. PostgreSQL collects statistics on the distribution of data in the table, and can use constant values in a query to make guesses about the likely result of executing the query. Since this data is unavailable when planning prepared queries with parameters, the chosen plan may be sub-optimal. For more information on query planning and the statistics collected by PostgreSQL for query optimization purposes, see the ANALYZE [ana- lyze(7)] documentation. COMPATIBILITY
SQL92 SQL92 includes a PREPARE statement, but it is only for use in embedded SQL clients. The PREPARE statement implemented by PostgreSQL also uses a somewhat different syntax. SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 PREPARE(7)