Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help on Assigning a Array variable from Background Functions Post 302910176 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 23rd of July 2014 01:38:03 AM
Old 07-23-2014
Starting a pipeline in the background creates a new shell execution environment. Variables set in that new shell execution environment are not visible in the parent (foreground) shell execution environment.

There are several ways things like this can be done. One way that works if the values you want to produce in the background are always less than or equal to 255, is:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
exec_func() {
	sleep 1
	printf 'exec_func exiting with %d\n' "$(( $1 + 100 ))"
	exit $(( $1 + 100 ))
}

date
for i in 1 2
do	exec_func $i&
	pid[i]=$!
done
for i in 1 2
do	wait ${pid[i]}
	OUT_ARR[i]=$?
done
date
print ${OUT_ARR[@]}

which produces the output:
Code:
Tue Jul 22 22:27:03 PDT 2014
exec_func exiting with 102
exec_func exiting with 101
Tue Jul 22 22:27:04 PDT 2014
101 102

but the order of the two lines in red may vary from run to run (and may be intermixed on a multi-processor system).
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning values to an array

The way I've been using arrays currently have been: #!/bin/ksh set -A myArray myArray=value1 myArray=value2 myArray=value3 myArray=value4 Is there a way I can assign values to an array that will automatically place the value into the next element in the array like: myArray=value1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Assigning array values..

I have to add a variable value to an array, something like this: ...... @my_array_name = $value_of_this_variable; This doesnt seem to work, any ideas why? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning the values to an Array

hi every body, i donot know how to assign a array varible with a file see i having file more file property1 Name property2 Address the above two line are tab Space seperated between the property and its value i want to seperate it and assign to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkraja
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning values to an array via for/while loop

I need to do something like this: for i in 1 2 3 4 5; do arr=$(awk 'NR="$i" { print $2 }' file_with_5_records) done That is, parse a file and assign values to an array in an ascending order relative to the number of record in the file that is being processed on each loop. Is my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fiori_musicali
2 Replies

5. Programming

[ C ] multidemensional array pass to functions

Please excuse my ineptitude for a bit as I've been spoiled for the past few months with only writing perl code instead of C. So ok, I've been thinking about some code to change the crc32 values that are held within central directory headers of zip files. Because I'm lazy I decided to just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VRoemer
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

background functions doesn't display their output

hello there, there's a function, in my shell script, i'd like to run in the background. here's an example: log() { local SELF=${0##*/} tty -s && echo ": $*" } some_func() { # do something log "This text is not displayed in the terminal's output when running in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shedon
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Assigning zero to element of ksh array.

set -A matched #find referenced files. for i in ${file_names_html} do counter_j=0 for j in ${file_names_minus_index} do match=`cat $i | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robin_simple
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple functions in Background in UNIX Shell Scripting?

Hi, I am using ksh , i have requirement to run 4 functions in background , 4 functions call are available in a case that case is also in function, i need to execute 1st function it should run in background and return to case and next i will call 2nd function it should run in background and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning * as value in a ksh array

I want to extract each and single character from a password string and put it in an array. I tried this : set -A password "echo $passwd | awk '{for (i=1; i<=length($1); i++) printf "%s ",substr($1,i,1)}'` It's working as long that the password string doesn't contains any * I tried a few... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ce9888
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning DOM Object value to an array

Hi, I have the following code that makes use of a URL that I store in a variable then create a document object below to work on it. $dom = new DOMDocument; @$dom->loadHTML($html); $links = $dom->getElementsByTagName('a'); $links = $dom->getElementsByTagName('a'); ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)