Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting specific files from multiple .tgz files Post 302909711 by rbatte1 on Friday 18th of July 2014 11:48:06 AM
Old 07-18-2014
I don't think you can use a wildcard when extracting as the shell would have nothing to match against before passing it to the tar command. You may need to have a two-step process:-
  • one pass with tar -t to get all files and use grep to filter out the filenames you want
  • seconds pass to extract the files you have determined are present in each tarfile.
It seems a little wasteful, but it should work. When it's working for a single tarfile, just put it in a loop for all the tarfiles.

I may be wrong though. What happens if you wrap the filename with the * in single quotes like this?
Code:
for file in *.tgz; do tar --wildcards -zxf $file '*results.txt'; done

This would pass the literal text including the * through to the tar command and might work.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is extracting specific files from a zip file possible?

If a zip file contains several zip files, but if the file names of the files needed are known, is there a variation of the unzip command that will allow those few (individual) files to be extracted? --- Example: Zip file name: zip.zip unzip -l zip.zip will display file01, file02, file03, etc.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create individual tgz files from a set of files

Hello I have a ton of files in a directory of the format app.log.2008-04-04 I'd like to run a command that would archive each of these files as app.log.2008-04-04.tgz I tried a few combinations of find with xargs etc but no luck. Thanks Amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reduce multiple files into a specific number of files

Can anyone please let me know how do I reduce files into a specific number of files by cat'ing files? For example: 15 files must be reduced to 1 or 5 or 9 (possible values 1 to 14) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryanbelank
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting specific files from a tar file in HP-UX

I have tried: tar -xfv mytarfile.tar archive/tabv/* tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xf mytarfile.tar -v --wildcards 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards --no-anchored 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards `archive/tabv/*` and none... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting/condensing text from multiple files to multiples files

Hi Everyone, I'm really new to all this so I'm really hoping someone can help. I have a directory with ~1000 lists from which I want to extract lines from and write to new files. For simplicity lets say they are shopping lists and I want to write out the lines corresponding to apples to a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: born2phase
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting information from multiple files

Hello there, I am trying to extract (string) information ( a list words) from 4 files and then put the results into 1 file. Currently I am doing this using grep -f list.txt file1 . and repeat the process for the other 3 files. The reasons i am doing that (a) I do know how to code (b) each file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: houkto
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns falling within specific ranges for multiple files

Hi, I need to create weekly files from daily records stored in individual monthly filenames from 1999-2010. my sample file structure is like the ones below: daily record stored per month: 199901.xyz, 199902.xyz, 199903.xyz, 199904.xyz ...199912.xyz records inside 199901.xyz (original data... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting non multiple files via script

Hi, Can somebody help me? I am testing a demo with the given function PATH525="/uscms/home/emily/READme/extra/data/" TEMP=temp FileName=DataFileName CopyFiles() { # PATHNAME="$paths" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from specific rows and columns from multiple csv files

I have a series of csv files in the following format eg file1 Experiment Name,XYZ_07/28/15, Specimen Name,Specimen_001, Tube Name, Control, Record Date,7/28/2015 14:50, $OP,XYZYZ, GUID,abc, Population,#Events,%Parent All Events,10500, P1,10071,95.9 Early Apoptosis,1113,11.1 Late... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux read specific content file from tar.gz files without extracting

hello i wish to write the result of these below conditions in a file: 1. in a specific folder, i have many tar.gz files. 2. each tar.gz file contains ".dat" file in sub folders. 3. i wish to get the full path of these .dat files, if i find in it a specific word ("ERROR24"). 4. all this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyjames9
6 Replies
UUENCODE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       UUENCODE(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode -- encode/decode a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [inputfile] outputname uudecode [-m | -p] [encoded-file ...] DESCRIPTION
uuencode and uudecode are used to transmit binary files over transmission mediums that do not support other than simple ASCII data. The following options are available: -m Use base64 encoding. uuencode reads inputfile (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters and includes the mode of the file and the operand outputname for use by uudecode. uudecode transforms uuencoded files (or by default, the standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named outputname as recorded in the encoded file, and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and execute bits are not retained; if the -p option is specified, the data will be written to the standard output instead. uudecode ignores any leading and trailing lines. EXIT STATUS
The uudecode and uuencode utilities exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. tar czf - src_tree | uuencode src_tree.tgz | mail user@example.com On the other system, if the user saves the mail to the file temp, the following example creates the file src_tree.tgz and extracts it to make a copy of the original tree. uudecode temp tar xzf src_tree.tgz SEE ALSO
gzip(1), mail(1), tar(1), uuencode(5) STANDARDS
The uudecode and uuencode utilities conform to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
The uudecode and uuencode utilities appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
The encoded form of the file is expanded by 35% (3 bytes become 4 plus control information). BSD
November 30, 2008 BSD