Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mailing file from UNIX/bash
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mailing file from UNIX/bash Post 302905743 by newbie2010 on Friday 13th of June 2014 12:58:34 PM
Old 06-13-2014
Mailing file from UNIX/bash

I have a file that I want to mail out. However, I cannot get the date to print on it.
I've tried the following:

Code:
/usr/bin/mail -s "Lists on `date`" myname@company.com</tmp/list
/usr/bin/mail -s "Lists on $(date)" myname@compancy.com</tmp/list
$subj="Lists on $(date)" 
/usr/bin/mail -s "$subj"  myname@company.com</tmp/list
/usr/bin/mail -s  $subj="Lists on $(date)"

I'm just not getting it. The list is mailed, but the date never appears. The subject title does appear; I've tried single quotes as well

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mailing thru UNIX shell script

Hi, I need to send an email from an UNIX shell script along with an attachment. I am working on an HP-UX 11.00 system. The only mailing program which provides adding an attachment to a mail is "pine". However pine is not installed on my system and I cannot install it too due to the server being a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailing from unix -> exchange

Hello, I want to mail from Unix 4.3 (on an RS/6000) to my Microsoft exchange server (5.5). When I trie : mail -v erikr@domain.nl < /directory/file I get the following error: ^Cserverone:/etc >WARNING: The local host name (serverone) does not have a domain; fix$jnconfig ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processing extended ascii character file names in UNIX (BASH scipts)

Hi, I have a accentuated letter (ö) in a script for an Installer. It's a file name. This is not working and I'm told to try using the octal value for the extended ascii character. Does anyone no how to do this? If I had the word "filförval", can I just put in the value between the letters, like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peli
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem mailing HTML code in cron file.

Hi All, I have written a script which sends mail using “sendmail” command and mail contains HTML code. When I run scripts on terminal it is working properly, but when I try to run this script through a crontab file it sends blank mail with proper subject. crontab file detail : 00 05... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhishek.mind
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How would I create a NULL terminated file in Unix under Bash?

I am testing some file routines against potential "nasty name" Unix files, such as those with a CR, LF, in the middle or NULL terminated, utf multi-byte character. So, under Bash, I want some way of: mv "name" "name\0" with the \0 a real NULL. Against all my efforts, I have not been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailing problem in unix

I have a mailing problem in UNIX.... MAILT="$1" MAILTO=`echo $MAILT | tr ';' ','` CONTENT="/var/www/html/notifier/mailnotify_ccdb.html" SUBJECT="$2" CC="man@abc.com" BCC="ant@abc.com" ( echo "To : ${MAILTO}" echo "Cc : ${CC}" echo "Subject: $SUBJECT" echo "MIME-Version: 1.0" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailing in unix

is there any option to mail the value from top command directly to the user.. i want the value of cpu usage from six different servers to be send in a single mail.. thanks, Arun Manas:b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailing a file at a particular time interval

Folks, I need to send a .log file to my email for every one hour from a server that too only in a particular time period. Is awk mandate here? or can we do it in shell scripting only? Please help me in sorting this out. Cheers, Arun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArunJanga
3 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Where should I install an alias file under UNIX bash ?

I have a file named 'aliases' which contains a list of aliases like: alias loc='locate' alias h='history' alias .='pwd' alias ..='cd ..' alias cd..='cd .. ; pwd' .............................. Where should I put this file (alias) so when Terminal launches .bash and thus a shell at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shub22
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need syntax for mailing in UNIX by using html file as body and along with attachment

Hi All, I need a syntax for mailing in unix by using html code file output as body and along with attachment (without using mutt command) HTML code file : html1.txt Attachment : attach1.txt I was using the below codes but they are not working. ( cat html1.txt ; uuencode attach1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rokkesh
4 Replies
CALENDAR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       CALENDAR(1)

NAME
calendar - reminder service SYNOPSIS
calendar [ - ] DESCRIPTION
Calendar consults the file `calendar' in the current directory and prints out lines that contain today's or tomorrow's date anywhere in the line. Most reasonable month-day dates such as `Dec. 7,' `december 7,' `12/7,' etc., are recognized, but not `7 December' or `7/12'. If you give the month as ``*'' with a date, i.e. ``* 1'', that day in any month will do. On weekends `tomorrow' extends through Monday. When an argument is present, calendar does its job for every user who has a file `calendar' in his login directory and sends him any posi- tive results by mail(1). Normally this is done daily in the wee hours under control of cron(8). The file `calendar' is first run through the ``C'' preprocessor, /lib/cpp, to include any other calendar files specified with the usual ``#include'' syntax. Included calendars will usually be shared by all users, maintained and documented by the local administration. FILES
calendar /usr/libexec/calendar to figure out today's and tomorrow's dates /etc/passwd /tmp/cal* /lib/cpp, egrep, sed, mail as subprocesses SEE ALSO
at(1), cron(8), mail(1) BUGS
Calendar's extended idea of `tomorrow' doesn't account for holidays. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 CALENDAR(1)