Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mailing file from UNIX/bash
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mailing file from UNIX/bash Post 302905743 by newbie2010 on Friday 13th of June 2014 12:58:34 PM
Old 06-13-2014
Mailing file from UNIX/bash

I have a file that I want to mail out. However, I cannot get the date to print on it.
I've tried the following:

Code:
/usr/bin/mail -s "Lists on `date`" myname@company.com</tmp/list
/usr/bin/mail -s "Lists on $(date)" myname@compancy.com</tmp/list
$subj="Lists on $(date)" 
/usr/bin/mail -s "$subj"  myname@company.com</tmp/list
/usr/bin/mail -s  $subj="Lists on $(date)"

I'm just not getting it. The list is mailed, but the date never appears. The subject title does appear; I've tried single quotes as well

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mailing thru UNIX shell script

Hi, I need to send an email from an UNIX shell script along with an attachment. I am working on an HP-UX 11.00 system. The only mailing program which provides adding an attachment to a mail is "pine". However pine is not installed on my system and I cannot install it too due to the server being a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailing from unix -> exchange

Hello, I want to mail from Unix 4.3 (on an RS/6000) to my Microsoft exchange server (5.5). When I trie : mail -v erikr@domain.nl < /directory/file I get the following error: ^Cserverone:/etc >WARNING: The local host name (serverone) does not have a domain; fix$jnconfig ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processing extended ascii character file names in UNIX (BASH scipts)

Hi, I have a accentuated letter (ö) in a script for an Installer. It's a file name. This is not working and I'm told to try using the octal value for the extended ascii character. Does anyone no how to do this? If I had the word "filförval", can I just put in the value between the letters, like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peli
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem mailing HTML code in cron file.

Hi All, I have written a script which sends mail using “sendmail” command and mail contains HTML code. When I run scripts on terminal it is working properly, but when I try to run this script through a crontab file it sends blank mail with proper subject. crontab file detail : 00 05... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhishek.mind
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How would I create a NULL terminated file in Unix under Bash?

I am testing some file routines against potential "nasty name" Unix files, such as those with a CR, LF, in the middle or NULL terminated, utf multi-byte character. So, under Bash, I want some way of: mv "name" "name\0" with the \0 a real NULL. Against all my efforts, I have not been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailing problem in unix

I have a mailing problem in UNIX.... MAILT="$1" MAILTO=`echo $MAILT | tr ';' ','` CONTENT="/var/www/html/notifier/mailnotify_ccdb.html" SUBJECT="$2" CC="man@abc.com" BCC="ant@abc.com" ( echo "To : ${MAILTO}" echo "Cc : ${CC}" echo "Subject: $SUBJECT" echo "MIME-Version: 1.0" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailing in unix

is there any option to mail the value from top command directly to the user.. i want the value of cpu usage from six different servers to be send in a single mail.. thanks, Arun Manas:b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailing a file at a particular time interval

Folks, I need to send a .log file to my email for every one hour from a server that too only in a particular time period. Is awk mandate here? or can we do it in shell scripting only? Please help me in sorting this out. Cheers, Arun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArunJanga
3 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Where should I install an alias file under UNIX bash ?

I have a file named 'aliases' which contains a list of aliases like: alias loc='locate' alias h='history' alias .='pwd' alias ..='cd ..' alias cd..='cd .. ; pwd' .............................. Where should I put this file (alias) so when Terminal launches .bash and thus a shell at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shub22
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need syntax for mailing in UNIX by using html file as body and along with attachment

Hi All, I need a syntax for mailing in unix by using html code file output as body and along with attachment (without using mutt command) HTML code file : html1.txt Attachment : attach1.txt I was using the below codes but they are not working. ( cat html1.txt ; uuencode attach1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rokkesh
4 Replies
msgchk(1mh)															       msgchk(1mh)

Name
       msgchk - check for messages

Syntax
       msgchk [ -help ] [ -nodate ] [ -notify all|mail|nomail ] [ users ...  ]

Description
       The  program checks all known mail drops for mail that is waiting for you.  It displays whether you have mail waiting to be read or not and
       shows the date that you last read your mail.

You can check other user's maildrops by specifying their user names as the users argument on the command line.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options for this command.

-date
       -nodate	 Prints the date when you last read your mail.	This is the default behavior of The -nodate option can be used of you do not  want
		 to print this date.

-notify
       -nonotify Indicates  under  what circumstances should produce a message.  There are three legal values: all, mail, and nomail.  The default
		 is -notify all, which reports the status of the maildrop regardless of whether it has mail in it or not.  The -notify mail option
		 reports  the  status of the maildrop only if there is mail waiting.  The -notify nomail option reports the status of the maildrop
		 only if there is no mail in it.

-source file
		 Specifies the source which are checked for mail.  The only value allowed is file, which is the user's maildrop.  Additional  val-
		 ues are supported only for use with other mail systems.

Restrictions
       does  not  understand the $MAILDROP environmental variable.  If mail is fetched from a location other than will not be able to determine if
       new mail has arrived.  However, can still be used to fetch mail when it arrives.

For this version, the -source option only supports the value file.  Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems.

Examples
       This example shows a user Smith checking his own maildrop:
       % msgchk
       Smith:
	  New file source mail waiting ; last read on Tue, 07 Jun 88 17
       :21:49 WET

The next example shows a user checking the maildrops of two other local users on the same system, Rabb and Jones:
       % msgchk Rabb Jones
       Rabb:
	  No file-source mail waiting ; last read on Tue, 07 Jun 13:22:
       25 WET
       Jones:
	  New file source mail waiting ; last read on Tue, 07 Jun 17:30
       :05 WET

Files
       The user profile.

The system customization file.

The user's maildrop.

See Also