Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sendmail processes not running Post 302905638 by Opr_Sys on Thursday 12th of June 2014 03:52:55 PM
Old 06-12-2014
Linux

sudo apt-get install sendmail

service start sendmail or alternatively start service sendmail (You might want to configure it first tho, sendmail can fsck you up!)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running two processes in background

hi there, here's what i need in my korn-shell: ... begin korn-shell script ... nohup process_A.ksh ; nohup process_B.ksh & ... "other stuff" ... end lorn-shell script in plain english i want process A and process B to run in the background so that the script can continue doing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob_gs
6 Replies

2. Programming

getting certain info for all processes currently running

i am writing a utility that displays information about all the running processes in the /proc directory. I do not know how to get the following information for each of the processes in the /proc directory: -effective user id -effective user name -effective group id -effective group name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with running processes script

I'm doing a script with the Shell. I need that it only show the number of running processes. Ex: echo "There are `command` running processes" Thnx! Pd: Sorry the idiom. I'm spanish. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikebana
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with running processes script

I'm doing a script with the Shell. I need that it only show the number of running processes. Ex: echo "There are `command` running processes" Thnx! Pd: Sorry the idiom. I'm spanish. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikebana
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 x86: Two sendmail processes, why?

Dear all, after allowing remote sendmail connections by setting the value of the local_only to 'false' ie #svccfg -s sendmail setprop config/local_only=false #svcadm refresh sendmail we have TWO sendmail processes called 'sendmail -Ac -q15m' and 'sendmail -bd -q15m'. For what reason I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xunil321
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know the running processes.

Hi can anybody help me regarding this.. i want know the output of ps -ef with explanation. how can we know the running processess. this is the output of ps -elf F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 19 T root 0 0 0 0 SY ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh_pola
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Running processes on GZ/LZ

Hi guys just a question is it normal to see running process on a non-global zone in the global zone... processes such as cron. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
3 Replies

8. Linux

Running processes

Hi guys is it normal to have 5-10 cron/syslog processes running... in my case i got 10 cron process running. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Running Processes

I want to check how many processes are running with same names and get their respective counts. ps -ef|grep -Eo 'process1|process2|process3| '|sort -u | awk '{print $2": "$1}' Output would look like : $ ps -ef|grep -Eo 'process1|process2|process3| '|sort | uniq -c | awk '{print $2":... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Many processes running at the same time

Hello everybody , I launched cron to execute a task every hour but the job takes more than hour that's why I'm getting more than 1000 cron processes running at the same time !!! My question is how to tell cron not to execute unless the job terminated in order to have only one process running .... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: beautymind
14 Replies
sendmail(4)							   File Formats 						       sendmail(4)

NAME
sendmail, sendmail.cf, submit.cf - sendmail configuration files SYNOPSIS
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf /etc/mail/submit.cf DESCRIPTION
The sendmail.cf and submit.cf files are the configuration files for sendmail(1M). Starting with version 8.12 of sendmail, which was shipped with version 9 of the Solaris operating system, two configuration files are used for submission and transmission of mail, instead of only sendmail.cf, as before. These are: sendmail.cf Remains the principal sendmail configuration file. Used for the Mail Transmission Agent (MTA). submit.cf Used for the Mail Submission Program (MSP). The MSP is used to submit mail messages. Unlike the MTA, it does not run as an SMTP daemon. The MSP does not require root privileges, thus the two-file model provides better security than the pre-sendmail 8.12 model, in which the MSP ran as a daemon and required root privileges. In the default sendmail configuration, sendmail uses submit.cf, as indicated in ps(1) output. In ps output, you will observe two sendmail invocations, such as the ones below: /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m The first indicates the use of submit.cf, with the client queue (/var/spool/clientmqueue) being checked--and, if needed, flushed--every 15 minutes. The second invocation runs sendmail as a daemon, waiting for incoming SMTP connections. As shipped, sendmail.cf and, in particular, submit.cf, are appropriate for most environments. Where a knowledgeable system administrator needs to make a change, he should use the following procedures. For sendmail.cf: 1. Change directories to the directory that contains the source files for the configuration files. # cd /etc/mail/cf/cf 2. Create a copy of the sendmail file for your system. # cp sendmail.mc `hostname`.mc 3. Edit `hostname`.mc. Make changes suitable for your system and environment. 4. Run make to generate the configuration file. # /usr/bin/make `hostname`.cf 5. Copy the newly generated file to its correct location. # cp `hostname`.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf 6. Restart the sendmail service. # svcadm restart sendmail You must restart sendmail for sendmail.cf file changes to take effect, as indicated in step 6. Steps 4 - 6 can be automated. See Automated Rebuilding of Configuration Files below. For submit.cf: 1. Change directories to the directory that contains the source files for the configuration files. # cd /etc/mail/cf/cf 2. Create a copy of the submit file for your system. # cp submit.mc submit-`hostname`.mc 3. Edit submit-`hostname`.mc. Make changes suitable for your system and environment. 4. Run make to generate the configuration file. # /usr/bin/make submit-`hostname`.cf 5. Copy the newly generated file to its correct location. # cp submit-`hostname`.cf /etc/mail/submit.cf You do not need to restart sendmail for changes to submit.cf to take effect. Steps 4 and 5 can be automated. See Automated Rebuilding of Configuration Files below. Enabling Access to Remote Clients The sendmail(1M) man page describes how the config/local_only property can be set to true or false to disallow or allow, respectively, access to remote clients for unmodified systems. Setting values for the following properties for the service instance svc:/network/smtp:sendmail results in automated (re)building of con- figuration files: path_to_sendmail_mc path_to_submit_mc The values for these properties should be strings which represent the path name of the .mc files referred to in steps 2 and 3 of both pro- cedures above. Recommended values are: /etc/mail/cf/cf/`hostname`.mc /etc/mail/cf/cf/submit-`hostname`.mc Each property, if set, results in the corresponding .mc file being used to (re)build the matching .cf file when the service is started. These properties persist across upgrades and patches. To prevent a patch or upgrade from clobbering your .cf file, or renaming it to .cf.old, you can set the desired properties instead. FILES
/etc/mail/cf/README Describes sendmail configuration files. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
make(1S), ps(1), sendmail(1M), svcadm(1M), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: Network Services SunOS 5.11 8 May 2008 sendmail(4)