Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Retaining latest file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retaining latest file Post 302901851 by Don Cragun on Friday 16th of May 2014 04:36:21 AM
Old 05-16-2014
You could try something like:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
IAm=${0##*/}
if [ $# -ne 1 ]
then    echo "Usage: $IAm NameBase" >&2
        exit 1
fi      
set -- "$1"_*
name="$1"
shift
if [ "$name" != "${name%_[*]}" ]
then    printf "%s: No files found with names starting with \"%s\"\n" \
                "$IAm" "${name%[*]}" >&2
        exit 2  
fi      
if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then    printf "%s: Only one file found: \"%s\"\n" "$IAm" "$name" >&2
        exit 3
fi      
while [ $# -ge 1 ]
do      if [ "$name" -nt "$1" ]
        then    printf "Removing \"%s\"\n" "$1"
                echo rm "$1"
        else    printf "Removing \"%s\"\n" "$name"
                echo rm "$name"
                name="$1"
        fi      
        shift 1
done    
printf "Keeping \"%s\"\n" "$name"

If you try this and it looks like it will do what you want, remove the text in red so it will actually remove files instead of just telling you which files it thinks it should remove.

This assumes that if there are two or more matching files, it should remove all but the latest file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Retaining timestamp on copy of a file

While copying, how we can retain the same date for new file as it was on the old file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: param_it
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

retaining file path

hi all, Is there any way to retain file path? echo "Please enter your old filename" read a #user input : /blah/blah1 echo "please enter the new filename" read b #user input : dumb mv $a $b What i would like to do is for the user to enter just the "filename" for the new filename... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get the name of latest file?

1) How do I get the name of latest file in a variable? 2) Is it safe to delete all files from a dir I am doing cd $dir_name if return_code > 0 rm * fi what are other alternates to delete all files from a dir in a shell script? :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the latest file

I am trying to scp the latest file which ends with "_abc.log". Can some help me figure out how can do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shehzad_m
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get latest file

i have the following in my directory x: 3 files with the word "LIST" inside the files 2 files without the word "LIST" 1 folder (sudirectory) i want to get the filename of the latest file (timestamp) with the word "LIST". by the way the script and the list of files are in seperate... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get the latest file

Hi Experts Team, I wish to store the latest file name of partcular pattern in the remote server in a variable. i tried this LATEST_FILE=`ssh ${USER_ID}@${REMOTE_HOSTNAME} 'ls -t ${SOURCE_DIRECTORY}/${SOURCE_FILEPATTERN}'` but its nt working..pls guide me.. Regards, Kanda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to get the latest file from the file list and move

Hi, Anybody help me to write a Shell Script Get the latest file from the file list based on created and then move to the target directory. Tried with the following script: got error. A=$(ls -1dt $(find "cveit/local_ftp/reflash-parts" -type f -daystart -mtime -$dateoffset) | head... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravan_an
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining file versions based on input parameter

Hello Forum. I have the following files in one directory: abc_july01_2013.txt abc_july02_2013.txt abc_july03_2013.txt abc_july04_2013.txt abc_july05_2013.txt abc_july06_2013.txt abc_july07_2013.txt abc_july08_2013.txt If I want to be able to keep the last 5 versions of the file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Command on Multiple Files and retaining the same file name

Hi All I am trying to run sed command to remove first 2 charcaters from a file on Multiple Files in my directory and what to retain the same file name . I want to know how to retain the same file name but with changes . Can some one please let me know how to proceed with this . ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: honey26
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking the latest file based on a timestamp for a Dynamic file name

Hi , I did the initial search but could not find what I was expecting for. 15606Always_9999999997_20160418.xml 15606Always_9999999998_20160418.xml 15606Always_9999999999_20160418.xml 9819Always_99999999900_20160418.xml 9819Always_99999999911_20160418.xmlAbove is the list of files I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
4 Replies
bup-restore(1)						      General Commands Manual						    bup-restore(1)

NAME
bup-restore - extract files from a backup set SYNOPSIS
bup restore [--outdir=outdir] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
bup restore extracts files from a backup set (created with bup-save(1)) to the local filesystem. The specified paths are of the form /branch/revision/path/to/file. The components of the path are as follows: branch the name of the backup set to restore from; this corresponds to the --name (-n) option to bup save. revision the revision of the backup set to restore. The revision latest is always the most recent backup on the given branch. You can dis- cover other revisions using bup ls /branch. /path/to/file the original absolute filesystem path to the file you want to restore. For example, /etc/passwd. Note: if the /path/to/file is a directory, bup restore will restore that directory as well as recursively restoring all its contents. If /path/to/file is a directory ending in a slash (ie. /path/to/dir/), bup restore will restore the children of that directory directly to the current directory (or the --outdir). If the directory does not end in a slash, the children will be restored to a subdirectory of the current directory. See the EXAMPLES section to see how this works. OPTIONS
-C, --outdir=outdir create and change to directory outdir before extracting the files. -v, --verbose increase log output. Given once, prints every directory as it is restored; given twice, prints every file and directory. -q, --quiet don't show the progress meter. Normally, is stderr is a tty, a progress display is printed that shows the total number of files restored. EXAMPLE
Create a simple test backup set: $ bup index -u /etc $ bup save -n mybackup /etc/passwd /etc/profile Restore just one file: $ bup restore /mybackup/latest/etc/passwd Restoring: 1, done. $ ls -l passwd -rw-r--r-- 1 apenwarr apenwarr 1478 2010-09-08 03:06 passwd Restore the whole directory (no trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test1 /mybackup/latest/etc Restoring: 3, done. $ find test1 test1 test1/etc test1/etc/passwd test1/etc/profile Restore the whole directory (trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test2 /mybackup/latest/etc/ Restoring: 2, done. $ find test2 test2 test2/passwd test2/profile SEE ALSO
bup-save(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-fuse(1), bup-web(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-restore(1)