Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to add to the search path - bin? Post 302901773 by OmarKN on Thursday 15th of May 2014 01:57:09 PM
Old 05-15-2014
How to add to the search path - bin?

Hi,
Now I have: /Users/okn/bin for my private shell scripts.

How do I add /Users/okn/bin to my PATH?

The PATH is right now:

/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin

The .bash_profile doesn't state anything about a PATH (yet).

I read about this:
Code:
PATH=/bin:$PATH

export PATH

or
Code:
PATH=$PATH\:/dir/path ; export PATH

What should I write into the .bash_profile?
I'm afraid I could harm the OS.

with best regards,
Omar K N
Stockholm, Sweden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory in search path

Is it unsafe to put your own home directory (a regular user) in your search path? I am writing useful shell scripts, but don't have the permissions to put them in /usr/bin. (Korn shell) thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

set path so all new users can execute the command in /bin/mycommands

I want to add a default path /bin/mycommands along with others to be loaded as default path for all new accounts created on my system . With out the new accounts not having to change thie manually to /bin/mycommands.Do I change the /etc/profile ? is there any better way? Please throw some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravusa
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add bin to variable PATH and save changes

i wrote a script and is running. I add the path bin to variable PATH, i.e. PATH=$PATH/bin. i add this to PATH in order to run the script in any path working directory. Thats ok. The problem is as son as i close the session and start a new session, changes are lost. How can i tell the shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Path of Recycle Bin on Windows

hello everybody, I am trying to find the path of the Recycle Bin. I know that it's a temporary storage place, but it should have a path that we can refer to. I want to know it because I sometimes use cygwin to work on Windows, and when you delete something with it, it's gone. I just checked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract a part of a path like (input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp)

Hi, I need to make some extraction . with the following input to get the right output. input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp and input: aex1234 ===> output: ex Thanks for your help, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PATH dircetory search order

Hello I using CygWin and am working on project that requires whereby after I make some code changes and rebuild I have to manually copy the updated files into the install directory to test them. There is a build output directory where these files placed, but the program will not run from there.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobban
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

9. Programming

Gcc linker search path order

I have a build where I wish to link against and load a specific version of a library and a different version of the same library is installed on the system. I'm using a -L option to point to the version that I wish to link against but gcc still seems to choose the installed version. Is there a way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard Johnson
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Php search path

Probably simple, but I don't see it. jack@veritron /u/email $ cat p3.php <?php require_once './lib/swift_required.php'; $x=get_include_path(); echo "$x \n"; set_include_path('./lib:./lib/classes:'.$x); $x=get_include_path(); echo "$x \n"; $transport =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgt
1 Replies
svscanboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     svscanboot(8)

NAME
svscanboot - starts svscan(8) in the /service directory, with output and error messages logged through readproctitle(8). svscanboot is available in daemontools 0.75 and above. SYNOPSIS
svscanboot DESCRIPTION
svscanboot runs the pipeline svscan /service 2>&1 | readproctitle service errors: ..... with 400 dots. The last 400 bytes of error messages from svscan(8) will be visible to ps(1) through readproctitle(8). svscanboot sets $PATH to /command:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin (all in one line, no space) and clears all other environment variables. Program writers are encouraged to use globally allocated names in /command. SEE ALSO
supervise(8), svc(8), svok(8), svstat(8), svscan(8), readproctitle(8), fghack(8), pgrphack(8), multilog(8), tai64n(8), tai64nlocal(8), setuidgid(8), envuidgid(8), envdir(8), softlimit(8), setlock(8), ps(1) http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html http://cr.yp.to/slashcommand.html svscanboot(8)