Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep with special chars line by line Post 302901741 by SriniShoo on Thursday 15th of May 2014 10:40:48 AM
Old 05-15-2014
put double quotes around $line in grep
Code:
cat file1|while read line;do egrep "$line" file2; done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using PERL to append chars to each line

I tried using SED to do this, but I'm not having any luck with it. See the previous thread here. I have a program called AMStracker (on OS X) that spits out the values of the motion sensor in the HDD. It has output that looks like this: . . 3 0 -75 3 0 -76 3 0 -77 . . I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0nn0r
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get multiple line content between two chars

Hello - I have a file that has the something like the following : REM CREATE TABLE lots of text REM table specifc creation text ; REM ALTER TABLE lots of text REM text specific to the the alter command REM could be more lines of text; What I need is to get all the lines for the ALTER... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Feliz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert new line at found chars

Hey gang, I have: XXZZXXZZXX 123 asdaffggh dfghyrgr ertyhdhh XXZZXXZZXX 234 sdg XXZZXXZZXX 456 gfg fggfd That is all on one line. Very simply put I want to do is something like: sed s'/XXZZXXZZXX /\n/g' or tr 'XXZZXXZZXX ' '/n' I have tried various things but can never get the desired... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 4 chars on 2nd line, 44 chars over

I know this should be simple, but I've been manning sed awk grep and find and am stupidly stumped :( I'm trying to use sed (or awk, find, etc) to find 4 characters on the second line of a file.txt 44-47 characters in. I can find lots of sed things for lines, but not characters. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file1 read line-per-line then grep -A 15 lines down in fileb

STEP 1 # Set variable FILE=/tmp/mainfile SEARCHFILE =/tmp/searchfile # THIS IS THE MAIN FILE. cat /tmp/mainfile Interface Ethernet0/0 "outside", is up, line protocol is up Hardware is i82546GB rev03, BW 100 Mbps Full-Duplex(Full-duplex), 100 Mbps(100 Mbps) MAC address... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: irongeekio
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - how to insert chars into a line

Hi I'm new to sed, and need to add characters into a specific location of a file, the fileds are tab seperated. text <tab> <tab> text <tab> text EOL I need to add more characters to the line to look like this: text <tab> <tab> newtext <tab> text <tab> text EOL Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tangentviper
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

why am I losing line-end chars

Hello, I do not know why the output from these two methods differs. One method retains the newlines, the other method appears to ignore or lose the newlines. Writing a file with the redirection operator: egrep -e 'matchstring' infile.txt > outfile.txt The resulting outfile.txt contains... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duderonomy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Special/Null/Control Chars and Print Line Numbers

Hi All, This might be a basic question... I need to write a script to find all/any Speacial/Null/Control Chars and Print Line Numbers from an input file. Output something like Null Characters in File Name at : Line Numbers Line = Print the line Control Characters in File Name at : Line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-benstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u The -u option guarantees that the output is unbuffered. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. DIAGNOSTICS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-benstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! BSD
September 15, 2001 BSD