Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read a value from a file and store in a variable? Post 302900473 by laxmikant15 on Wednesday 7th of May 2014 06:43:50 AM
Old 05-07-2014
SomeHow that is not working when i include in my MakeFile.

it results <Service Ver="2.31.14"/>

Is there any ohther way than awk ?

---------- Post updated at 05:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:13 AM ----------

grep "Ver" service.xml | cut -d '"' -f2 worked fine .

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

store output to a file and read from it

Hello all, I need to run snoop command for a period of time (a day) and extract remote host column from it to find out who is accessing my server. When I run the following on the command line it works snoop -port 22 | awk '{print $3}' but when I do snoop -port 22 | awk '{print $3}' | while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read each letter from file and store it in variable.

Dear friends, i am writing csh script i have one dat file containing following data.like this. 08FD3 03A26 000FA0 FFFF0 BBA0F 00000 00000 from the above file i want to read each letter and store it in one variable. how it is possible. please help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read and store each line of a file to a variable

Hi all, I'm quite new to unix and hope that someone can help me on this. I'm using csh. Below is what i intend to do. 1. I stored some data in a file. 2. I intend to read the file line by line and store each line of data into a variable, so that i can used it later. Anyone have any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seijihiko
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a file and store each value in a variable

Hi, How to read a file and put the values in a script. E.g. file1.txt 02/12/2009;t1;t2 The script should read this file and put these values in 3 different variables x1,x2,x3 which can be used further. Thanks Ashu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read xml tag attribute and store it in variable

Hi, How to read xml tag attributes and store into variable in shell script? Thanks, Swetha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: swetha123
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the contents of a file and store them in a variable

Hi Gurus, I am trying for a scenario where in I want to read the contents of a file line by line and then store them in variables. Below is the script: #!/bin/ksh while read line do id=`echo $line | cut -f1 -d |` name=`echo $line | cut -f2 -d |` echo $id ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

to read two files, search for patterns and store the output in third file

hello i have two files temp.txt and temp_unique.text the second file consists the unique fields from the temp.txt file the strings stored are in the following form 4,4 17,12 15,65 4,4 14,41 15,65 65,89 1254,1298i'm able to run the following script to get the total count of a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file line by line and store it in a variable to execute a program ?

Hello, I am quite new in shell scripting and I would like to write a little scritp to run a program on some parameters files. all my parameters files are in the same directory, so pick them up with ls *.para >>dirafter that I have a dir file like that: param1.para param2.para etc... I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadok
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a file and store in variables

I have a input file like this. Sample.txt 30 | TXDatacenter | TXBackupDC 10 | UKDatacenter | UKBackupDC 0 | NLDatacenter | NLBackupDC ...... ...... ...... I need to get these values in different variables like this. Load1=30 PriCenter1=TXDatacenter... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Visha
5 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)