Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Foreach .gz file in a directory -- Not working Post 302898990 by SriniShoo on Friday 25th of April 2014 10:24:51 AM
Old 04-25-2014
What do you have in the variable PWD.
if echo $PWD gives you /home/IB
and still the code is not working, try below
Code:
for i in $(ls $PWD/input/*.gz)
do
  echo "file is :: ${i}"
done

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Getting present working directory

How can I get the present working directory in unix system using c programming and stored it in a string ?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: winsonlee
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

working directory shown

Hi, How do I get my working directory always shown in the unix editor? i.e if I am now at /Home/abc/xyz/, I want to see this absolute path displayed ( and now only display when I type pwd). thanks for the kind help. Regrads (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swchee
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

how could I get process working directory

how could I use c program to get HP UX process working directory (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script: foreach file -> targzip

Hi there, I need some help with a shell script (I'm no sh script expert, but I hope this will explain how I want my script):dir = /home/user/files/ foreach(*.jpg file in $dir) { tar -cf $file(-.jpg).tar $file;gzip $file(-.jpg).tar } mv -f $dir*tar.gz /home/user/pictures/ Thanks for any... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: JKMlol
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

put working directory in file

how to put pwd in my file my working directory is /usr/my_dir below my file aaaaaa bbbbbb so output file become /usr/my_dir aaaaaa bbbbbb (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulabc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop working in terminal but not in the script

Hi, I am new here I have used the forums a long time to search for things they are very helpful. I have unfortunately used up all my resources (professors, grad students) and need some help. I have this very simple piece of code (using to isolate the problem) in a csh script: #!/bin/csh... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bflinchum
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Foreach loop that skips the header line of a file (csh)

Hello all, I'm working on a foreach loop to compare a couple sets of data. However, each datafile includes a header row. I'm wondering if it is possible to tell the foreach loop to skip the first line of data. I've been using the basic code as follows: foreach line ("`file.csv`") set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meteorologistks
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL foreach & open not working together

My script is as below: my $tile_list = `egrep "FCFP_TILE_LIST.*=" ${BudgetDir}/tile.params | sed -e 's/FCFP_TILE_LIST//' | sed -e 's/=//'`; print "Tile List = ".$tile_list."\n"; my @tiles = split(/\s+/, $tile_list); $unconst_out = "${DestDir}/Unconstrained_ports.rpt"; $check_tim_out =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuchi7
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading foreach variable from a text file

Hello, I have a text file named "foreach.txt" which reads like --- foreach cal ( 1 2 3 4 5 ) I am using a simple script which looks like --- #!/bin/tcsh foreach cal (1 2 3 4 5) echo "$cal" end Is it possible to modify the script in such a way that instead of writing foreach cal (1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
6 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)