Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about Shebang line of Bash Script Post 302896137 by in2nix4life on Friday 4th of April 2014 02:14:57 PM
Old 04-04-2014
You can use the env command in your shebang line. I write scripts for Solaris, AIX, and Linux and using that command will locate the interpreter on the given system:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to in2nix4life For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in shebang line!!

Do we need to include the exclamatory mark in the shebang line??:confused: What if we dont include it??:eek: Actually what shebang line implies when we run a script?? shebang line--> #!/bin/ksh :p (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nohup
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Relacing the shebang line of a file

Can any one tell me how to replace a shebang line of a file using sed? Eg: If a file contains the following shebang line #!C:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/ruby I would like to replace it with #!/usr/local/bin/ruby The shebang line of the file can be obtained from the command cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnewbe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in shell script when #!/bin/bash is used as shebang

#!/bin/ksh echo -en "\033|||'-')) echo -e "\033 The above script works fine when the interpreter is ksh, but outputs the following error when #!/bin/bash is used as shebang: test.sh: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `(' test.sh: line 5: `case "$ACTIVATION_KEY" in +(|||'-'))' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we use two shebang statements in a single shell script?

Hi, As per my understanding, we can use two shebang statements in a single shell script. Please see below snippet- #!/bin/bash .......## some code A #!/bin/csh .......## some code B exit 0; Here, code A will be executed using bash shell and code B will be executed with c shell. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunmudgal4u
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Necessity of shebang line

Hi , I know about the shebang line in shell scripting. Just want to know whether is there any difference in execution of the program by keeping and not keeping the shebang line. Because without shebang line also the script is working. correct me if am wrong. Any help on this will be helpful (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start powershell with shebang from windows/cygwin/bash?

I would like to the the windws8/cygwin/bash shebang feature to start a powershell script. I do a "chmod +x set-sound.ps1" and then at a bash prompt I do ./set-sound.ps1 The first line of ./set-sound.ps1 #!powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy unrestricted The result is the result: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process

Hi All, Am trying to write wrapper shell/bash script on a utility tool for which i need to pass 2 files as arugment to execute utility tool. Wraper script am trying is to do with above metion 2 files. utility tool accepts : a. userinfo file : which contains username b. item file : which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell script wont terminated if i don't modify the shebang

Hi all, I'm new to shell script i wrote some shell script for my colleague, everyone is fine,except on user we are using VNC viewer to work and there are some script start with shebang #! /bin/csh there is an user will not terminate after running the script even if a hello world i need... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pilistar0222
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on bash command line

OS : RHEL / Oracle Linux 6.8 In bash shell, how can I replace a character under the cursor with another character ? In the below example , after I typed the following line, I realized that I meant 7013 and not 2013. So I move the cursor to the left and keep it on top of 2 (of 2013) and I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies
ENV(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    ENV(1)

NAME
env -- set and print environment SYNOPSIS
env [-i] [name=value ...] [utility [argument ...]] DESCRIPTION
env executes utility after modifying the environment as specified on the command line. The option name=value specifies an environmental variable, name, with a value of value. The option '-i' causes env to completely ignore the environment it inherits. If no utility is specified, env prints out the names and values of the variables in the environment, with one name=value pair per line. DIAGNOSTICS
If the utility is invoked, the exit status of env shall be the exit status of utility; otherwise, the env utility exits with one of the fol- lowing values: 0 The env utility completed successfully 1-125 An error occurred in the env utility. 126 The utility specified by utility was found, but could not be invoked. 127 The utility specified by utility could not be found. COMPATIBILITY
The historic - option has been deprecated but is still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
execvp(3), environ(7) STANDARDS
The env utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). BUGS
env doesn't handle commands with equal (``='') signs in their names, for obvious reasons. BSD
August 27, 1993 BSD