Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How does the Operating System handle memory? Post 302894664 by DGPickett on Wednesday 26th of March 2014 03:36:16 PM
Old 03-26-2014
UNIX and most O/S do such a good job of making processes think they have an unlimited memory computer to themselves,they have to work pretty hard to communicate with each other. The effort is not much less than that to talk to another computer! However, two or more processes can share the same pages, not necessarily in exactly the same apparent location but in the same physical memory pages. For instance, almost every program shares libc, and with dynamic linking, one (executable or read only) copy serves all.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

I need the Unix operating system on disc as im new to unix. Im studying unix and x windows next year at Sheffield University and would like to get a head start. Any suggestions would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
2 Replies

2. Programming

How to handle memory error?

Hi, I need to know what is the right way of handling out of memory conditions. If a program is not able to dynamically allocate memory (new fails), is it right to wait for some amount of time (say 5 sec) and then try again to allocate memory? Or should we kill the process and again restart it?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diganta
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operating system LINUX

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paradise
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operating system LINUX

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paradise
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

8. Android

Android (operating system)

From Wikipedia (FYI): (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Pick Operating System

Anyone know anything about "Advanced Plus Operating Environment". Preferably release 10 Revision 522Gcd probably dated 2003. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
4 Replies
rsm_create_localmemory_handle(3RSM)		      Remote Shared Memory Library Functions		       rsm_create_localmemory_handle(3RSM)

NAME
rsm_create_localmemory_handle, rsm_free_localmemory_handle - create or free local memory handle SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lrsm [ library... ] #include <rsmapi.h> int rsm_create_localmemory_handle(rsmapi_controller_handle_t handle, rsm_localmemory_handle_t *l_handle, caddr_t local_vaddr, size_t length); int rsm_free_localmemory_handle(rsmapi_controller_handle_t handle, rsm_localmemory_handle_t l_handle); DESCRIPTION
The rsm_create_localmemory_handle() and rsm_free_localmemory_handle() functions are supporting functions for rsm_memseg_import_putv(3RSM) and rsm_memseg_import_getv(3RSM). The rsm_create_localmemory_handle() function creates a local memory handle to be used in the I/O vector component of a scatter-gather list of subsequent rsm_memseg_import_putv() and rsm_memseg_import_getv() calls. The handle argument specifies the controller handle obtained from rsm_get_controller(3RSM). The l_handle argument is a pointer to the location for the function to return the local memory handle. The local_vaddr argument specifies the local virtual address; it should be aligned at a page boundary. The length argument specifies the length of memory spanned by the handle. The rsm_free_localmemory_handle() function unlocks the memory range for the local handle specified by l_handle and releases the associated system resources. The handle argument specifies the controller handle. All handles created by a process are freed when the process exits, but the process should call rsm_free_localmemory_handle() as soon as possible to free the system resources. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return 0. Otherwise, an error value is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The rsm_create_localmemory_handle() and rsm_free_localmemory_handle() functions can return the following errors: RSMERR_BAD_CTLR_HNDL Invalid controller handle. RSMERR_BAD_LOCALMEM_HNDL Invalid local memory handle. The rsm_create_localmemory_handle() function can return the following errors: RSMERR_BAD_LENGTH Invalid length. RSMERR_BAD_ADDRESS Invalid address. RSMERR_INSUFFICIENT_MEM Insufficient memory. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
rsm_memseg_import_putv(3RSM), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 8 Jun 2001 rsm_create_localmemory_handle(3RSM)