Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alternative to Sleep?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alternative to Sleep? Post 302892548 by LinQ on Thursday 13th of March 2014 11:40:31 AM
Old 03-13-2014
@Corona688:

Sure thing. What's even more confusing is how certain distros handle the situation with an /sh bangline; some gracefully, some not...

@RudiC:

Awesome! Looks like a good way of working around the need to invoke a new process just to "sleep" in bash Smilie

FWIW, this was the best I could cobble together today:
Code:
read -t 3 -s -N 1000000 nop

(UPDATE- Tested here and there: Dairy-free! Smilie)

If you have a moment, could you give a quick thumbnail sketch to unpack what's going on in your snippet?

Thanks, all!

---------- Post updated at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:33 AM ----------

@RudiC:

Caught a bug!

If one holds the return key, your commandline halts everything with this error:
Code:
xrealloc: ../../bash/builtins/../../bash/builtins/read.def:525: cannot allocate 134217840 bytes (536911872 bytes allocated)

Code context:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

while :
do
    echo pausing...
    read -t3 A </dev/zero
done

???

Last edited by LinQ; 03-16-2014 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Update . . .

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep

what is the purpose of the sleep command? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep under one second

If I want a script to sleep for less than a second, would I use a decimal? In other words, if I wanted my script to sleep for 1/4 of a second, would I say, SLEEP .25 ?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoogie
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sleep less than 1 second

Does anyone know a way to sleep less than 1 second? Sometimes when I write scripts that iterates a loop many times it would be nice to slow things down, but sometimes 1 second is too much. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjorno
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sleep working

unistd.h declares the prototype of the sleep function. where is the sleep function actually defined? where is the control transfered when we include a sleep call in it?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetbhattu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep)

This is a very crude attempt in Bash at something that I needed but didn't seem to find in the 'sleep' command. However, I would like to be able to do it without the need for the temp file. Please go easy on me if this is already possible in some other way: How many times have you used the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for wc -l

Hi techies .. This is my first posting hr .. Am facing a serious performance problem in counting the number of lines in the file. The input files i get will be in some 10 to 15 Gb of size or even sometimes more ..and I will load it to db I have used wc -l to confirm whether the loader... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_2383
14 Replies

7. Solaris

vi alternative

Is there any other editor, installed by 'default' in Sparc Solaris10, besides vi? I'd like to avoid installing anything new. If not, how to make vi more user-friendly? thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

expert , alternative for sleep not use memory

while sleep 1; do pgrep Polo || { kill `pidof Polo` >/dev/null /var/bin/polo_start.sh start & echo `date` R >> /var/log/Check_Polo .log } done exit 0well , i use that script as a watchdog in my box (with has just 32 mb memory) which check every second if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep while i > 0

Hi, I have a script that runs a process at the beginning and I want to sleep/wait until this process is finished and then continue with the rest of the script. I am trying with this, but it is not working: process=`ps -ef | grep "proc_p01 -c" | grep -v grep | wc -l` if ; do sleep 10 done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
7 Replies
SMRSH(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  SMRSH(8)

NAME
smrsh - restricted shell for sendmail SYNOPSIS
smrsh -c command DESCRIPTION
The smrsh program is intended as a replacement for sh for use in the ``prog'' mailer in sendmail(8) configuration files. It sharply limits the commands that can be run using the ``|program'' syntax of sendmail in order to improve the over all security of your system. Briefly, even if a ``bad guy'' can get sendmail to run a program without going through an alias or forward file, smrsh limits the set of programs that he or she can execute. Briefly, smrsh limits programs to be in a single directory, by default /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ allowing the system administrator to choose the set of acceptable commands, and to the shell builtin commands ``exec'', ``exit'', and ``echo''. It also rejects any commands with the characters ``', `<', `>', `;', `$', `(', `)', ` ' (carriage return), or ` ' (newline) on the command line to prevent ``end run'' attacks. It allows ``||'' and ``&&'' to enable commands like: ``"|exec /usr/local/bin/filter || exit 75"'' Initial pathnames on programs are stripped, so forwarding to ``/usr/bin/vacation'', ``/usr/bin/vacation'', ``/home/server/mydir/bin/vaca- tion'', and ``vacation'' all actually forward to `/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/vacation''. System administrators should be conservative about populating the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory. For example, a reasonable additions is vacation(1), and the like. No matter how brow-beaten you may be, never include any shell or shell-like program (such as perl(1)) in the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory. Note that this does not restrict the use of shell or perl scripts in the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory (using the ``#!'' syntax); it simply disallows execution of arbitrary programs. Also, including mail filtering programs such as procmail(1) is a very bad idea. procmail(1) allows users to run arbitrary programs in their procmailrc(5). COMPILATION
Compilation should be trivial on most systems. You may need to use -DSMRSH_PATH="path" to adjust the default search path (defaults to ``/bin:/usr/bin'') and/or -DSMRSH_CMDDIR="dir" to change the default program directory (defaults to ``/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/''). FILES
/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ - default directory for restricted programs on SuSE Linux SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) $Date: 2004/08/06 03:55:35 $ SMRSH(8)