Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] How to remove multiple files? Post 302892187 by bakunin on Tuesday 11th of March 2014 10:52:30 AM
Old 03-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6503
I need keep only lasted created file which is abc_20140101_1550 and remove rest of the file.
You can simply use "ls -rt" to get your files sorted by date/time (instead of name) and then remove the last line (the latest file) and delete the others. Use the following blueprint:

Code:
ls -rt <optional file mask> |\
sed '$d'|\
while read FILE ; do
     rm -f "$FILE"
done

I hole this helps.

bakunin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Handling multiple files using awk

Hi, I am trying to process 2 files simultaneously using awk satisfying following condition, Both files contain 3 columns. It should take entry from column 1 from first file, look for that entry in file 2 and if found, add column 2 and column 3 from both files and output to third file. For e.g.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muazfarooqaslam
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Mathematical operation in multiple files

Hi experts, I need to do a mathematical calculation between each data in 3 different files. Output is using formula (A11+B11)/(1+C11). INPUT : File A.txt A11 A12 A21 A22 File B.txt B11 B12 B21 B22 File C.txt C11 C12 C21 C22 OUTPUT: (A11+B11)/(1+C11) (A12+B12)/(1+C12)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Renaming Multiple Files in Unix

I have mulitiple files in a unix directory e.g. FILE10001.txt FILE10002.txt I want the above two files to get renamed as by a single command. I tried with mv but it does not work FILE20001.txt FILE20002.txt Paresh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pash
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] remove all files of 2010

Hi, how to use "rm" to delete only files from year 2010 ? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] moving multiple files? mv

HI I have a list of files that are incorrectely names and I need to move them to new name .. I tried few things that has not worked so far can you help ? I need to rename all thes eifle ( tere are over 100 ) xldn0357bap.orig.new xldn0389bap.orig.new xldn0439bap.orig.new... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Rename multiple files

Hi. I have a large number of files with names like: t_ 0.20000E-02.dat There is actually a space after the underscore. These files are numbered numerically, i.e. t_ 0.20000E-02.dat, t_ 0.21000E-02.dat, t_ 0.22000E-02.dat and so on. What I would like to do is rename such that the file with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Multiple input files and output files

Hi, I have many test*.ft1 files to which I want to read as input for a script called pipe2txt.tcl and print the output in each separate file. For example, pipe2txt.tcl < test001.ft1 > test001.txt How can I read many files in this maner? thank you very much, Best, Pahuja (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pahuja
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Grep multiple files and display first match

I have a need to grep a large number of files, but only display the first result from each file. I have tried to use grep, but am not limited to it. I can use perl and awk as well. Please help! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbiggied
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Search, Extract and Rename Multiple Files

Hi, I want perl script for the below requirement. We have lot of files like below name in the directory 750464921-RE-file2.csv 750452173-RE-file1.csv 750385426-RE-file3.csv 750373470-RE-file4.csv And also we have another file as "Group.csv" in the same directory as per the below format... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: armsaran
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] List Files With Multiple Name Patterns

Hi, We have created a script that would accept the an indicator as a parameter and archive files present in a directory. The indicator would drive what the name pattern of the files to be archived should be. If the indicator is 1, then the pattern to look out for is FACT*. If the indicator is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome_rajan
2 Replies
remove(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						remove(3C)

NAME
remove - remove file SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int remove(const char *path); DESCRIPTION
The remove() function causes the file or empty directory whose name is the string pointed to by path to be no longer accessible by that name. A subsequent attempt to open that file using that name will fail, unless the file is created anew. For files, remove() is identical to unlink(). For directories, remove() is identical to rmdir(). See rmdir(2) and unlink(2) for a detailed list of failure conditions. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, remove() returns 0. Otherwise, it returns -1 and sets errno to indicate an error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
rmdir(2), unlink(2), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Aug 2002 remove(3C)