Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting a block of text from a large file using variables? Post 302891740 by Klor on Friday 7th of March 2014 02:57:16 PM
Old 03-07-2014
Quote:
just `ooh` and `ahh` ..
I reserached that and got a song from 'Daddy Kane - oh ah , na na na na' Smilie

Yes please explain the script!
I'd have no idea how to reciprocate it in a different application.

I've got a fish, but not the knowledge of fishing ;P

Warm Regards,
Klor

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file and extracting the useful data block

Greetings All!! I have a very peculiar problem where I have to parse a big text file and extract useful data out of it with starting and ending block pattern matching. e.g. I have a input file like this: sample data block1 sample data start useful data end sample data block2 sample... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arminder
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting text and reusing the text to rename file

Hi, I have some ps files where I want to ectract/copy a certain number from and use that number to rename the ps file. eg: 'file.ps' contains following text: 14 (09 01 932688 0)t the text can be variable, the only fixed element is the '14 ('. The problem is that the fixed element can appear... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnDS
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in UNIX while generating .dat file from large text file

Hello Gurus, We are facing some performance issue in UNIX. If someone had faced such kind of issue in past please provide your suggestions on this . Problem Definition: /Few of load processes of our Finance Application are facing issue in UNIX when they uses a shell script having below... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRAMA
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with splitting a large text file into smaller ones

Hi Everyone, I am using a centos 5.2 server as an sflow log collector on my network. Currently I am using inmons free sflowtool to collect the packets sent by my switches. I have a bash script running on an infinate loop to stop and start the log collection at set intervals - currently one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lord_butler
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of data from a very large tab delimited text file

Hi All I wanted to know how to effectively delete some columns in a large tab delimited file. I have a file that contains 5 columns and almost 100,000 rows 3456 f g t t 3456 g h 456 f h 4567 f g h z 345 f g 567 h j k lThis is a very large data file and tab delimited. I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a large text file into paragraphs

Hello all, newbie here. I've searched the forum and found many "how to split a text file" topics but none that are what I'm looking for. I have a large text file (~15 MB) in size. It contains a variable number of "paragraphs" (for lack of a better word) that are each of variable length. A... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting block of lines from a file

consider the input file which i am dealing with looks like this.. #cat 11.sql create table abc ( . . . ) engine=Innodb ; . . etc . . . create table UsM ( blah blah blah ) engine=Innodb ; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help extracting text from file

Hello I have a large file with lines beginning with 552, 553, 554, below is a small sample, I need to extract the data you can see below highlighted in bold from this file on the same location on every line and output it to a new file. Thank you in advance for any help 55201KL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: passing shell variables through and extracting text

Hello, new to the forums and to awk. Glad to be here. :o I want to pass two shell (#!/bin/sh) variables through to awk and use them. They will determine where to start and stop text extraction. The code with the variables hard-coded in awk works fine; the same code, but with the shell... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bedtime
7 Replies
HTML::Template(3ruby)													     HTML::Template(3ruby)

NAME
HTML::Template - Ruby extension for HTML::Template DESCRIPTION
This module deals with HTML template by CGI scripts and use a complete selectivity between design and logic easily. You can deal with a nested block, a loop and a conditional expression. Simple example, see below. template file test.html <HTML> <HEAD><TITLE>Test Template</TITLE> <BODY> My Home Directory is <!var:home> <P> My Path is set to <!var:path> </BODY> </HTML> Ruby script require "html/template" tmpl = HTML::Template.new("./test.html") tmpl.param({ 'home' => ENV['HOME'], 'path' => ENV['PATH'] }) print "Content-Type: text/html " print tmpl.output INSTALL
using install.rb % tar xvzf html-template-x.xx.tar.gz % cd html-template-x.xx % ruby install.rb config % ruby install.rb setup % su # ruby install.rb install Template File TAGS
You can use original style tag or valid HTML comment style tag. <!var:PARAMETER_NAME> <!-- var:PARAMETER_NAME --> When you call HTML::Template#param ({PARAMETER_NAME => VAL}), tags will be simply replaced to VAL. <!begin:PARAMETER_NAME> <!end:PARAMETER_NAME> <!-- begin:PARAMETER_NAME --> <!-- end:PARAMETER_NAME --> It allows you to separate a section of text and give it a name It would be able to make them loop or conditional expression. And, it can be nested. <!include:FILE_NAME> <!-- include:FILE_NAME --> A file specified by FILE_NAME is simply inserted to a template file. The template file will be treated as a merged template. If you pass the path param to HTML::Template.new , include file will be searched under the path. HTML
::Template CLASS CLASS METHODS
HTML::Template.new(params = {}) Creates a HTML::Template object. Given a file name to its first argument, use this file as a template. Also you can pass params as Hash. The options are below o filename template filename o path template search path. you can specified as String or Array of String. METHODS
HTML::Template#load(file) Load template file. HTML::Template#set_html(html) Setting up a string as a template. HTML::Template#param(hash = {}) HTML::Template#expand(hash = {}) Specifies a string or a loop by Hash for a substitute. When specifying more than a loop simultaneously, value of the hash becomes an array. HTML::Template#node(name) HTML::Template#loop(name) HTML::Template#cond(name) Stands a loop and a conditional expression specified by <!begin:name><!end:name> Retrieves HTML::TemplateNode object. HTML::Template#output HTML::Template#to_s Returns the final result. HTML
::TemplateNode CLASS This is a class for a loop or a conditional expression. An instance consists of HTML::Template Class and HTML::TemplateNode CLASS. METHODS
HTML::TemplateNode#node(name) Stands a loop or a conditional expression specified by <!begin:name><!end:name> Returns HTML::TemplateNode object. Is only used for nested. HTML::TemplateNode#param(hash = {}) HTML::TemplateNode#expand(hash = {}) HTML::TemplateNode#add(hash = {}) Specifies a string or a loop by Hash for a substitute. If you don't call the method, the block won't be displayed. A LOOP
This sample is a displaying list of environment valiables. <html> <body> <h1>Env List</h1> <hr> <!begin:envlist> <!var:key> : <!var:val><br> <!end:envlist> <hr> </body> </html> # In case of using it with iterator and replace data. require "html/template" tmpl = HTML::Template.new("filename" => "envlist.html") ENV.keys.sort.each do |k| tmpl.node("envlist").param({'key' => k, 'val' => ENV[k] }) end print "Content-Type: text/html " print tmpl.output # In case of giving a loop as an array require "html/template" tmpl = HTML::Template.new("envlist.html") envlist = [] ENV.keys.sort.each do |k| envlist.push({'key' => k, 'val' => ENV[k] }) end tmpl.param({'envlist' => envlist}) print "Content-Type: text/html " print tmpl.output A Conditional Expression <html> <body> <!begin:true> This is True <!var:foo> <hr> <!end:true> <!begin:false> This is False <!var:foo> <hr> <!end:false> </body> </html> require "html/template" tmpl = HTML::Template.new("cond.html") tmpl.param({'true' => {'foo' => 'foobar'} }) print "Content-Type: text/html " print tmpl.output The performed result is below, however, a part not specied with the method isn't displayed. <html> <body> This is True foobar <hr> </body> </html> An attached Sample. env.rb This sample is a simply replacing valiables. envlist.rb This sample is a displaying list of environment valiables. This sample is a case for using with iterator. envlist2.rb Performed result is the same as the envlist.rb.'s. nest.rb A sample of a nested loop. THANKS
English Documentation NAKAYAMA Nao <nao_o@netlaputa.ne.jp> thanks a lot :-) AUTHOR
Copyright 2001 IKEBE Tomohiro This library is free software; you can redistribute it and / or modify it under the same terms as Ruby itself. IKEBE Tomohiro <ikechin@Oxfa.com> June 2002 HTML::Template(3ruby)