Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Run script as root from command line Post 302891729 by mlacriola on Friday 7th of March 2014 01:31:36 PM
Old 03-07-2014
Run script as root from command line

I have a script (ksh) that has permissions 775 and owned by root.system. This script takes the parameter of a full file name and chmods the file to 666 and changes ownership to user smith.staff.

ex: modify_file.ksh /home/smith/filea

modify_file.ksh has 775 and root.system ownership.

The issue is when logged in as smith, the script does not change ownership or permissions, even though root.system is owner of script.

How can I execute the script using su - root -c <command here> all within one line without having to enter root password? I do have access to root password and ability to modify script that is validating full file name prior to chown and chmod commands. Possible?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to run tlremove command without root login

Hi all, Can somebody give me advice on how to run tlremove and tlinstall command without root login. When i try to login to root i get error message as "crt0: ERROR couldn't open dld.sl errno:000000002". This error comes when transition link is removed. so i want to reinstall the link... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aditya.gaur
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a command as root

Hi, i need to run a command as root.Whoever executes the command ,i will check for a particular role if that is satisfied i have to make it to run as root. Please help me to carry out this. Thanks Padmini (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: padmisri
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script, with command-line options

Hello everyone, I have a perl script which takes various command line options from user like : test.pl -i <input_file> -o <output_file> -d <value> -c <value> Now I have multiple input files in a directory: <input_file_1> <input_file_2> <input_file_3> <input_file_4> ..... .... ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if script is run via cron or manual=command line?

Hi all, I have a script that can be run via cron or via the command line. Is there any way that I can place something on the script to be able to distinguish/differentiate whether the script was run via a user in the command line or whether it was run from the cron? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Except script to run a local shell script on remote server using root access

local script: cat > first.sh cd /tmp echo $PWD echo `whoami` cd /tmp/123 tar -cvf 789.tar 456 sleep 10 except script: cat > first #!/usr/bin/expect set ip 10.5.15.20 set user "xyz123" set password "123456" set script first.sh spawn sh -c "ssh $user@$ip bash < $script" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aditya Avanth
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string works on command-line but fails when run from shell script

I wish to replace "\\n" with a single white space. The below does the job on command-line: $ echo '/fin/app/scripts\\n/fin/app/01/sql' | sed -e 's#\\\\n# #g'; /fin/app/scripts /fin/app/01/sql However, when i have the same code to a shell script it is not able to get me the same output:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
ST_SNAPSHOT(1)							      systraq							    ST_SNAPSHOT(1)

NAME
st_snapshot - calculate checksum and stat ownership and permissions of files SYNOPSIS
ST_SUM=sha256sum st_snapshot patterns homepatterns DESCRIPTION
st_snapshot calculates checksums and stats ownership and permissions of critical system files. This script is typically run in either root-mode or public-mode. Running this script in root-mode requires root priviliges. One is adviced to set up a dedicated user account for running this script in public mode. In root-mode, the files snapshot_root.list and snapshot_root.homelist are typically passed as arguments. These pattern files are read by the script and contain names of files and directories; listing a directory in such a pattern file is equivalent to listing all files which live in the directorytree with this directory as root. snapshot_root.list could e.g. read # snapshot_root.list - files and directories we wanna get # monitored: we wanna get a note once these files, or any file # under these directories, gets created, gets rm-ed, gets # permissions or contents changed. these notices will not # include the possibly secret contents of these files # # this file gets read by st_systraq /etc/group /etc/gshadow /etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny /etc/hosts.equiv /etc/lilo.conf /etc/passwd /etc/postfix/server.pem /etc/shadow /etc/skel /etc/ssh Equivalent files snapshot_pub.list and snapshot_pub.homelist should be on the system. These files should contain all worldreadable to be monitored files. This allows for running this script as root only in those cases where it's needed: when reading files, readable for root only. The homelist files contain files and directories which should get monitored for every homedirectory on the system. snapshot_pub.homelist could e.g. contain: .profile .cshrc .tcshrc .login .logout .bash_profile .bashrc .exrc .nexrc As a special case, when the environment variable ST_OPHOMES is set to a non-empty string (typically when running in public mode), we stat the permissions on all homedirectories themselves. The produced snapshot is printed to stdout. The output when running in public mode could look like: # ownership and permissions of homedirs drwxr-xr-x root root /bin drwxr-xr-x root root /dev drwxr-sr-x root staff /home drwxr-sr-x joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb drwxr-xr-x root root /usr/sbin drwxr-xr-x root root /var # sha256sum of critical pub files 4d3cd13d6dbc10e2e3ccb9477cbc9eb9b76302454c276d5771ae0b10a5fbb4d2 /home/joostvb/.ssh/id_rsa.pub eb8d83e0246f761a21bdfb13a03fac634ed7c3b7dde4c2efddd7b2838d32596f /var/qmail/alias/.bashrc 4e371f9a11f5a2464d3d5c952e58e24f73b377d33767ed93b2082fcb59a647fe /etc/zlogin # ownership and permissions of critical pub files -rw-rw-r-- joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb/.ssh/id_rsa.pub -rw-r--r-- joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb/.ssh/authorized_keys ENVIRONMENT
ST_OPHOMES - non-empty in case permissions on all homedirectories should be printed ST_SUM - command for calculating file checksums. E.g. sha256sum, sha512sum, sha384sum, sha224sum or sha1sum. SEE ALSO
The systraq manual. VERSION
This manpage: $Id: st_snapshot.pod 374 2008-12-14 08:47:32Z joostvb $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008 Joost van Baal This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html or write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA. AUTHOR
Joost van Baal <joostvb-systraq-20041015@mdcc.cx> 20081217 2008-12-15 ST_SNAPSHOT(1)