Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting a block of text from a large file using variables? Post 302891358 by Klor on Wednesday 5th of March 2014 09:13:41 AM
Old 03-05-2014
Keen eye @Scrutinizer

Would you mind posting the parameters so I could understand and apply to future work?

It did work amazingly! and you have my thanks Smilie

Are you converting to C++ and using i and A commands?

Best Wishes,
Klor

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file and extracting the useful data block

Greetings All!! I have a very peculiar problem where I have to parse a big text file and extract useful data out of it with starting and ending block pattern matching. e.g. I have a input file like this: sample data block1 sample data start useful data end sample data block2 sample... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arminder
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting text and reusing the text to rename file

Hi, I have some ps files where I want to ectract/copy a certain number from and use that number to rename the ps file. eg: 'file.ps' contains following text: 14 (09 01 932688 0)t the text can be variable, the only fixed element is the '14 ('. The problem is that the fixed element can appear... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnDS
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in UNIX while generating .dat file from large text file

Hello Gurus, We are facing some performance issue in UNIX. If someone had faced such kind of issue in past please provide your suggestions on this . Problem Definition: /Few of load processes of our Finance Application are facing issue in UNIX when they uses a shell script having below... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRAMA
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with splitting a large text file into smaller ones

Hi Everyone, I am using a centos 5.2 server as an sflow log collector on my network. Currently I am using inmons free sflowtool to collect the packets sent by my switches. I have a bash script running on an infinate loop to stop and start the log collection at set intervals - currently one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lord_butler
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of data from a very large tab delimited text file

Hi All I wanted to know how to effectively delete some columns in a large tab delimited file. I have a file that contains 5 columns and almost 100,000 rows 3456 f g t t 3456 g h 456 f h 4567 f g h z 345 f g 567 h j k lThis is a very large data file and tab delimited. I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a large text file into paragraphs

Hello all, newbie here. I've searched the forum and found many "how to split a text file" topics but none that are what I'm looking for. I have a large text file (~15 MB) in size. It contains a variable number of "paragraphs" (for lack of a better word) that are each of variable length. A... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting block of lines from a file

consider the input file which i am dealing with looks like this.. #cat 11.sql create table abc ( . . . ) engine=Innodb ; . . etc . . . create table UsM ( blah blah blah ) engine=Innodb ; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help extracting text from file

Hello I have a large file with lines beginning with 552, 553, 554, below is a small sample, I need to extract the data you can see below highlighted in bold from this file on the same location on every line and output it to a new file. Thank you in advance for any help 55201KL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: passing shell variables through and extracting text

Hello, new to the forums and to awk. Glad to be here. :o I want to pass two shell (#!/bin/sh) variables through to awk and use them. They will determine where to start and stop text extraction. The code with the variables hard-coded in awk works fine; the same code, but with the shell... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bedtime
7 Replies
FLAME(1)						      General Commands Manual							  FLAME(1)

NAME
flame -- reply to Usenet News posting automatically SYNOPSIS
flame [options] [filename] DESCRIPTION
Flame is a AI tool providing an automated method for replying to articles posted to Usenet News. Special care is paid to allow the user to specify the type of reply he desires. The following options are supported by flame: -- Take input from stdin. -x regexp Crosspost to all newsgroups matching regexp. -n number Post this reply number times. -b Reply in BIFF MODE. -d Delay response until original posting expires. -m Misdirect to a random Author. -r ROT13 quotes from original posting. -g regexp Reply to all messages in newsgroups matching regexp. -A Call the Author Assh*le in 12 languages. -B Bait the Author. -C Accuse the Author of communist leanings. -D Denigrate the Author. -E Picks apart the Author's educational background. -F Accuse the Author of fascist leanings. -G Post using Greek insult module. -H Accuse the Author of homophobic leanings. -I Question the Author's intelligence. -J Accuse the Author of purchasing Japanese imports. -K Accuse the Author of working for the KGB, MOSSAD, CIA, or MI5 as appropriate. -L Post using Latin insult module. -M Insult the Author's mother. -N Accuse the Author of Neo-Nazi leanings. -O Quote obscure references proving falsehood of the posting. -P Question the Author's parentage. -Q Accuse the Author of deviant sexual practices. -R Accuse the Author of racist leaning. -S Accuse the Author of sexist leanings. -T Accuse the Author of cross dressing. -U State that the Author just doesn't understand anything. -V Pretend sympathy for Author's virgin sensibilities. -W Accuse the Author of voting for George Bush. -X Prepend obscene adjectives wherever syntactically correct. -Y Accuse the Author of PLO membership. -Z Accuse the Author of Zionist leanings. ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable FLAME_TYPE can be set to any combination of the above parameters, and will be used as the default flame type to generate. The environment variable OBSCENE points to a file containing miscellaneous obscene adjectives for the -X option above. MACROS
Macro Support will be added to the next release of flame. AUTHOR
Unknown FILES
.lastflame This file contains the number of the last article flamed. Used when flameing an entire newsgroup. .prefflame This file contains the user's preferred flames. .altflame This file contains alternate phrasing of some of the more standard flames. Used to keep the program from flaming itself. SEE ALSO
rn(1), more(1), newsrc(5), readnews(1), Pnews(1), Rnmail(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Self Documenting. BUGS
Occasionally, flame will turn on the user, and flame all outgoing postings. When this happens, the best thing to do reinstall your news software and flame. FLAME(1)