Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Addition of new line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Addition of new line Post 302889413 by vbe on Thursday 20th of February 2014 11:22:52 AM
Old 02-20-2014
In other words you have no write permission in that directory...
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition

Hi all, I am new to perl. I need help adding bunch of numbers. I have a file look like this: 1 1 2 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: email-lalit
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple addition, help.

I add up the number of args that are not blank. It works, but the printout is a string that just keep concatenating on +1. So Ex. it goes through input of: bob toto " " tom ...I get 0+1+1+1, when all I want is 3. Any help is appreciated. count=0 for name in $* do if ; then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

addition in sh shell

I have to create un counter and I am unable to do an additition: #!/bin/sh count=$1 while ] do echo $count $count=$count+$1 done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cfg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with addition

Hi all, I am getting following output by using commands like sort, uniq and awk to the standard output. 110 d 40 a 59 c 9 b 3 e Now at the end I would like to add all the numbers in column 1 and display the count of all numbers i.e. (110 + 40 + 59 + 9 + 3). Also the output may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Addition

Hi all, I am very new to shell programming and trying to learn out the basics. I tried this: $ echo `expr 20 + 30` and it worked. But when i tried this,it does not work. $ a=20 $ b=30 $ echo `expr a + b` The error is: expr: non-numeric argument I cant understand why its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gautamshaw
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of decimal no

a=10.00 pattern=-11.00 b=`echo "$a $pattern" | awk ' printf("%d\n", $1 + $2)'` echo $b not working, also trined bc ,dc but thats not on my m/c. also expr not supporting. any clue? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saluja.deepak
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with figuring division and addition based on column data and line numbers

I have a data file in the format of 1234 xxx 1234 xxx 1234 xxx 1234 xxxI want to be able to calculate the following - COLUMN1+((LINENUMBER-1)/365) The output needs to preserve the 2nd column - 1234 xxx 1234.00274 xxx 1234.00548 xxx What is the best way to do this? I am somewhat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limitation in addition

whats wrong with this addition? Whats the maximum number of digits can be handled? pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ const=201234454654768979799999 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ let new+=const pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ echo $new -2152890657037557890 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line arguments for addition

Hi all, I am trying to write a code for addition of n numbers which will be passed by the user as command line arguments. I wrote the following code. add=0 for (( i = 1 ; i <= $# ; i++ )) do add=`expr $i + $add` done #echo "sum is : $add" input : $./add.sh 12 32 14... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PranavEcstasy
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array value addition

Hello all I have a statement : ARRAY_MOUNT_POINT_NAME=`df -h | awk '{print $6}'| head -`expr $i+2` |tail -1` when the value of i=0 , I want the head argument to be at -2 . Using the expr statement isnt working. Help ! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be absolute or symbolic. An absolute mode is an octal number con- structed from the OR of the following modes: 4000 set user ID on execution 2000 set group ID on execution 1000 sticky bit, see chmod(2) 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission [op permission] ... The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a but the setting of the file creation mask (see umask(2)) is taken into account. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), s (set owner or group id) and t (save text - sticky). Let- ters u, g or o indicate that permission is to be taken from the current mode. Omitting permission is only useful with = to take away all permissions. The first example denies write permission to others, the second makes a file executable: chmod o-w file chmod +x file Multiple symbolic modes separated by commas may be given. Operations are performed in the order specified. The letter s is only useful with u or g. Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change its mode. SEE ALSO
ls(1), chmod(2), chown (1), stat(2), umask(2) CHMOD(1)