Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Meaning of script with echo, -d, -f1, -f2 Post 302889386 by sea on Thursday 20th of February 2014 08:51:24 AM
Old 02-20-2014
This forum contains manpages Smilie

Some basics about the Korn Shell: Man Page for ksh (all Section 1) - The UNIX and Linux Forums

Hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of this line in script

Can anyone explain me the meaning of line #2 in these lines of shell script: if ; then ${EXPR} " ${MACTIONS } " : ".* ${ACTION} " >/dev/null 2>&1 || die "$USAGE" else Sorry in case this is a trivial thing (I am not an expert in this). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo to create a script

Hello all, I want to be able to create a script on the fly from another script by echoing lines into a file, but am running into difficulty, as it isn't working right. What am I doing wrong? echo "for i in `grep $FRAME /root_home/powermt.sort.fil |awk '{print $7}'`" > pvtimout_set.sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of script

hello every one i want to know meaning of following line INST_PARA=$HOME/install/Install.Para SAVEMEDIUM=`awk '$2=="ArchiveSave"{print$4}' $INST_PARA` (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaydream
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo prints nothing-shell script

could anyone tell me why when i execute the following script, echo returns blank set k = 1 echo $k (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saman_glorious
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf/echo in a second script

This may be little confusing. I have Script1, which pulls data from the system and creates another script(lets say script2). While I run script1 I need to add printf/echo statements for script2, so that when I run script2 I see those statement. eg: script1 765 printf " display frame-$1 timeoffset... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonrods
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the meaning of set -e inside the script

Hi, I would like to ask about the meaning or purpose of set -e in the script bash, Does it mean if a wrong command in the script it will close or exit the script without continuation thats what happen if i set it in the terminal. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of awk script

what does this mean? awk '!a||a>$1 {a=$1} END {for (i in a) print a,i}' file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: osama ahmed
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Script - snipet meaning?

What would the below code snippet mean? my ($_configParam, $_paramValue) = split(/\s*=\s*/, $_, 2); $configParamHash{$_configParam} = $_paramValue; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaKha
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of ## in UNIX shell script?

Hi All, I am new to unix shell scripting and I was documenting one of the unix script and encountered below statements - for ii in `ls -1rt /oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/*.small.txt | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}'` do smallssim=${ii##/oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuklajayb4
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of =~ in shell script

Please let me understand the meaning of following line in unix bash scripting .is =~ means not equal to or equal to . if ]; then echo -e "pmcmd startworkflow -sv ${INTSERV} -d ${INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN} -uv INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_USER" \ "-pv INFA_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_PASSWORD -usdv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry00514
2 Replies
STARTFLUXBOX(1) 						  Fluxbox Manual						   STARTFLUXBOX(1)

NAME
startfluxbox - start a fluxbox session SYNOPSIS
startfluxbox DESCRIPTION
startfluxbox is a script which runs the file ~/.fluxbox/startup If it doesn't exist it will be generated. startfluxbox should be started from your ~/.xinitrc if you use startx, or ~/.xsession if you run a display manager, like xdm. FILES
~/.fluxbox/startup This file contains all commands that should be executed before fluxbox is started. The initial file contains helpful comments for beginners. It also starts fluxbox. EXAMPLES
The default ~/.fluxbox/startup is as follows: #!/bin/sh # # fluxbox startup-script: # # Lines starting with a '#' are ignored. # Change your keymap: xmodmap "$HOME/.Xmodmap" # Applications you want to run with fluxbox. # MAKE SURE THAT APPS THAT KEEP RUNNING HAVE AN ''&'' AT THE END. # # unclutter -idle 2 & # wmnd & # wmsmixer -w & # idesk & # And last but not least we start fluxbox. # Because it is the last app you have to run it with ''exec'' before it. exec fluxbox # or if you want to keep a log: # exec fluxbox -log "$fluxdir/log" If you need to start applications after fluxbox, you can change the exec fluxbox line above to something like this: exec fluxbox & fbpid=$! sleep 1 { xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr -fg white -bg black & ipager & gkrellm2 & } & wait $fbpid So xsetroot, ipager, and gkrellm2 will all be started after fluxbox, after giving fluxbox 1 second to startup. For more details on what else you can do in this script, see sh(1), or the documentation for your shell. AUTHORS
The author of startfluxbox(1) is Han Boetes <han at fluxbox.org> This manpage was converted to asciidoc format by Jim Ramsay <i.am at jimramsay.com> for fluxbox-1.1.2 SEE ALSO
fluxbox(1) AUTHOR
Jim Ramsay <i.am@jimramsay.com> Author. startfluxbox.txt 28 October 2011 STARTFLUXBOX(1)