Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Can all files under /tmp be safely removed Post 302886449 by MadeInGermany on Friday 31st of January 2014 01:55:08 PM
Old 01-31-2014
RedHat has a tool "tmpwatch" for a relative safe cleaning.
Code:
rpm -q tmpwatch
ls -l /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch
file /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch

The script has hard-coded 10 days for /tmp. You can change to e.g. 1 day.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bring back removed files

Dear People I have removed some of my files and directories( by using rm and rmdir commands) by mistake. I wish to bring them back. How is it possible?( I am using solaris 2.6) best regards Reza Nazarian:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Will Old Files Be Removed

I have windows Xp installed, and decided to install Solaris Sun Unix 10. The hard disk was previousely partitioned into 5 partition. C: = Win98 D = WinXP and e,f,g,h are applications and so on. When istalling Sun Unix, will all the drives be removed, or I will specify where to install it. Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunsation
5 Replies

4. Solaris

after init all /tmp file has been removed

I'm new in Solaris server After the system support reboot the Solaris server, all the files in /tmp has been removed, is that normal under Solaris or under different init level will get different result? which init level will do that? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesthomas
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recovering files removed with rm

Hello, I was reading the manual on rm and it states that when you use 'rm' the files are usual recoverable, how is this done? Does it assume that a backup system is in place? Cheers Jack (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack1981
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to safely rm/mv files/directory

Hi all, Am writing a script that does a rm/mv if a file exist, however, in one scenario, one of the variables which is supposed to a variable for a directory is undefined/blank so instead of the variable resolving to /tmp/logfile.dmp, it resolves instead to / so the rm translates to a rm /... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging few files into one, duplicates are removed

Hello, I have few file such as below: abc.txt def.txt ghi.txt jkl.txt n.txt I would like to merge all these files together into one file. At the same time, any duplicates will be removed. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alegnagrp
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Safely Remove Files with Special Chars

Hey Guys, I'm swamped writing code for the forums: Could someone write a script or command line to safely delete files with special chars in filenames from a directory: Example: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 148 Apr 30 23:00 ?xA?? -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 148... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies
FascistCheck(3) 					      Debian GNU/Linux manual						   FascistCheck(3)

NAME
FascistCheck - a pro-active password checker library SYNOPSIS
#include <crack.h> static char const CRACKLIB_DICTPATH[] = ...; extern char const * FascistCheck(char const passwd[], char const dictpath[]); DESCRIPTION
cracklib is a library containing the FascistCheck C function which may be used in a "passwd" like program. The idea is simple: try to pre- vent users from choosing passwords that could be guessed by "crack" by filtering them out, at source. cracklib is an offshoot of the the version 5 of the "crack" software and contains a considerable number of ideas nicked from the new software. The first formal argument password is the potential password. The second formal argument dictpath is the full path name + filename prefix of the cracklib dictionary database. FascistCheck returns the NULL pointer for a good password, or a pointer to a diagnostic string if it is a weak password. The database is in a binary format generated by the utilities crack_mkdict(8) and crack_packer(8). On a Debian system the database is located in the directory defined by the static constant CRACKLIB_DICTPATH and is set to /var/cache/cracklib/cracklib_dict. None of the subroutines in the cracklib libraries have this location hard-coded into their implementations. It is generated daily with the program /etc/cron.daily/cracklib. FILES
/var/cache/cracklib/cracklib_dict.[hwm|pwd|pwi] cracklib dictionary database files used by utilities. /etc/cron.daily/cracklib cracklib daily cron program to rebuild the cracklib dictionary database. /etc/cracklib/cracklib.conf cracklib configuration file used by the cracklib daily cron program to rebuild the cracklib dictionary database. /usr/sbin/crack_mkdict cracklib shell script to create initial list of words for dictionary database. /usr/share/doc/cracklib2-dev/examples Example cc(1) source files that show how FascistCheck is used. SEE ALSO
crack_teststr(8), crack_mkdict(8), update-cracklib(8) /usr/share/doc/cracklib2-dev/examples /usr/share/doc/cracklib2/cracklib2.html /usr/share/doc/cracklib2-dev/cracklib2-dev.html AUTHOR
cracklib2 is written by Alec Muffett <alecm@crypto.dircon.co.uk>. Manual added by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jplejacq@quoininc.com>. 2.7-8.5 Wed, 3 Oct 2001 01:37:09 +0100 FascistCheck(3)