Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem using xargs with rm
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem using xargs with rm Post 302882493 by pravin27 on Tuesday 7th of January 2014 09:08:44 AM
Old 01-07-2014
Code:
find . -maxdepth 1 -name "*tests*" -print0 | xargs -0 -I {} rm {}

This User Gave Thanks to pravin27 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using find and xargs

I'm using Imagemagick to create thumbnails for a large directory tree. The only thing I can't see is how to get it to write the thumbnails to a "thumbs" subdirectory! Either of these two commands from the Imagemagick site does most of the job: find -name '*.jpg' | xargs -n1 sh -c 'convert $0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixote
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with "xargs rm -i"

Hi, I could not understand why the following command does not work find . -name "foo" | xargs rm -i but, find . -name "foo" | xargs rm works perfectly alright. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with grep in combination with xargs

Dear all, I have tried the following 2 lines xargs -t -i -exec grep -i -w {} file_1 >>test < file_2 cat -s file_2| xargs -t -i -exec grep -i -w {} file_1 >> test They were meant to search for the contents of file_2 in file_1 and write the respective lines of file_1 into file "test" .... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruno
15 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem in using wildcard characters in xargs with find

Hi, Under my parent diectory I have directory named "Response" in many of its subfolders. I am interested to see all files with extention .pro in Response Directory. I am giving following command - find . -name "Response" -type d | xargs -i ls -lrt {}/*.pro but it is not giving result. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs problem

Hi From the xargs man page (Solaris): ls $1 | xargs -I {} -t mv $1/{} $2/{} This would move all the files in directory $1 to directory $2 Problem 1: In a shell script if I want to move files in d1 to d2 dir1=~/d1 dir2=~/d2 ls $dir1 | xargs -I {} -t mv $dir1/{} $dir2/{} does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs command problem

Hi I am trying to use "xargs" command to loop through each file, modify it and overwrite the old file with the modification but with the same file name. I thought it is easy but I just can't get it to work I tried the following I thought {} would give me the current file name, but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger66
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

hi Could any one please tell me the option using which we can run multiple commands using xargs I have list of files, I want to run dos2unix and chmod at one shot on them I tried google n searched man pages but couldnt really find the solution , please help right now im doing this ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping problem with xargs

I'm trying to pipe the output from a command into another using xargs but is not getting what I want. Running this commands: find . -name '33_cr*.rod' | xargs -n1 -t -i cut -f5 {} | sort -k1.3n | uniq | wc -l give the following output: cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod ... 9224236... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

Using the bash shell I'm trying to either create a command for the command line or a script that will show netstat info for a given process name. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:$ ps aux |grep catalina |grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' 5132 $ netstat -nlp |grep 5132 (Not all processes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: axiopisty
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with xargs

I entered the following <zzz.list xargs showtell |more which does a echo "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< $1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>" head -20 $1 The file zzz.list contains 525 lines representing user scripts (1 per line), but only the first, 181st, and 399th lines were processed. What am I missing? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)