Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script for changing the accession number of DNA sequences in a FASTA file Post 302881563 by RavinderSingh13 on Monday 30th of December 2013 10:34:04 AM
Old 12-30-2013
Hello,

One more approach with sed may help.

Code:
sed 's/\(^>.*_\)\(.*\)/my_desired_text_\2/g' file_name

Output will be as follows.

Code:
my_desired_text_45
atatagcaga
my_desired_text_46
atatagcagaatatatat

Thanks,
R. Singh

---------- Post updated at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:30 AM ----------

One more approach for same as follows.

Code:
awk -vs1="my_desired_ouput_" -F"_" '/^>/ {print s1$NF} !/^>/' file

Output will be as follows.

Code:
my_desired_ouput_45
atatagcaga
my_desired_ouput_46
atatagcagaatatatat

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting DNA sequences from GenBank files using Perl

Hi all, Using Perl, I need to extract DNA bases from a GenBank file for a given plant species. A sample GenBank file is here... Nucleotide This is saved on my computer as NC_001666.gb. I also have a file that is saved on my computer as NC_001666.txt. This text file has a list of all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akreibich07
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to grep -v multiple changing sequences from a file

Hello All - I am looking for help on how to solve a re-occuring problem. I have a file with certain sequences in it that need to be removed. The sequences are always different but the fix is always the same remove those sequences and leave the rest. Another team ID's the bad sequences and then I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: candyluv030
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky task with DNA sequences.

I am trying to reverse and complement my DNA sequences. The file format is FASTA, something like this: Now, to reverse the sequence, I should start reading from right to left. At the same should be complemented. Thus, "A" should be read as "T"; "C" should be read as "G"; "T" should be converted... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences from a FASTA file based on another file

I have two files. File1 is shown below. >153L:B|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE RTDCYGNVNRIDTTGASCKTAKPEGLSYCGVSASKKIAERDLQAMDRYKTIIKKVGEKLCVEPAVIAGIISRESHAGKVL KNGWGDRGNGFGLMQVDKRSHKPQGTWNGEVHITQGTTILINFIKTIQKKFPSWTKDQQLKGGISAYNAGAGNVRSYARM DIGTTHDDYANDVVARAQYYKQHGY >16VP:A|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelsonfrans
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|O15090|FABP4_HUMAN Fatty acid-binding protein, adipocyte OS=Homo sapiens GN=FABP4 PE=1 SV=3 MCDAFVGTWKLVSSENFDDYMKEVGVGFATRKVAGMAKPNMIISVNGDVITIKSESTFKN TEISFILGQEFDEVTADDRKVKSTITLDGGVLVHVQKWDGKSTTIKRKREDDKLVVECVM KGVTSTRVYERA >sp|L18484|AP2A2_RAT AP-2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexypaul
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select distinct sequences from fasta file and list

Hi How can I extract sequences from a fasta file with respect a certain criteria? The beginning of my file (containing in total more than 1000 sequences) looks like this: >H8V34IS02I59VP SDACNDLTIALLQIAREVRVCNPTFSFRWHPQVKDEVMRECFDCIRQGLG YPSMRNDPILIANCMNWHGHPLEEARQWVHQACMSPCPSTKHGFQPFRMA... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marion MPI
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting unique sequences from multiple fasta file

Hi, I have a fasta file with multiple sequences. How can i get only unique sequences from the file. For example my_file.fasta >seq1 TCTCAAAGAAAGCTGTGCTGCATACTGTACAAAACTTTGTCTGGAGAGATGGAGAATCTCATTGACTTTACAGGTGTGGACGGTCTTCAGAGATGGCTCAAGCTAACATTCCCTGACACACCTATAGGGAAAGAGCTAAC >seq2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibk
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to count the length of fasta sequences?

I could calculate the length of entire fasta sequences by following command, awk '/^>/{if (l!="") print l; print; l=0; next}{l+=length($0)}END{print l}' unique.fasta But, I need to calculate the length of a particular fasta sequence specified/listed in another txt file. The results to to be... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file to only organism name

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|Q8WWQ8|STAB2_HUMAN Stabilin-2 OS=Homo sapiens OX=9606 GN=STAB2 PE=1 SV=3 MMLQHLVIFCLGLVVQNFCSPAETTGQARRCDRKSLLTIRTECRSCALNLGVKCPDGYTM ITSGSVGVRDCRYTFEVRTYSLSLPGCRHICRKDYLQPRCCPGRWGPDCIECPGGAGSPC NGRGSCAEGMEGNGTCSCQEGFGGTACETCADDNLFGPSCSSVCNCVHGVCNSGLDGDGT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerrild
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add specific bases at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences?

Hi, I have to add 7 bases of specific nucleotide at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences of a file. For example, I have a multi fasta file namely test.fasta as given below test.fasta >TalAA18_Xoo_CIAT_NZ_CP033194.1:_2936369-2939570:+1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
1 Replies
GLAM2-PURGE(1)							   glam2 Manual 						    GLAM2-PURGE(1)

NAME
glam2-purge - Removes redundant sequences from a FASTA file SYNOPSIS
glam2-purge file score [options] DESCRIPTION
glam2-purge is a modified version of Andrew Neuwald's purge program that removes redundant sequences from a FASTA file. This is recommended in order to prevent highly similar sequences distorting the search for motifs. Purge works with either DNA or protein sequences and creates an output file such that no two sequences have a (gapless) local alignment score greater than a threshold specified by the user. The output file is named <file>.<score>. The alignment score is based on the BLOSUM62 matrix for proteins, and on a +5/-1 scoring scheme for DNA. Purge can also be used to mask tandem repeats. It uses the XNU program for this purpose. OPTIONS
-n Sequences are DNA (default: protein). -b Use blast heuristic method (default for protein). -e Use an exhaustive method (default for DNA). -q Keep first sequence in the set. -x Use xnu to mask protein tandem repeats. SEE ALSO
glam2(1), glam2format(1), glam2mask(1), glam2scan(1), xnu(1) The full Hypertext documentation of GLAM2 is available online at http://bioinformatics.org.au/glam2/ or on this computer in /usr/share/doc/glam2/. REFERENCES
Purge was written by Andy Neuwald and is described in more detail in Neuwald et al., "Gibbs motif sampling: detection of bacterial outer membrane protein repeats", Protein Science, 4:1618-1632, 1995. Please cite it if you use Purge. If you use GLAM2, please cite: MC Frith, NFW Saunders, B Kobe, TL Bailey (2008) Discovering sequence motifs with arbitrary insertions and deletions, PLoS Computational Biology (in press). AUTHORS
Andrew Neuwald Author of purge, renamed glam2-purge in Debian. Martin Frith Modified purge to be ANSI standard C and improved the user interface. Timothy Bailey Modified purge to be ANSI standard C and improved the user interface. Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> Formatted this manpage in DocBook XML for the Debian distribution. COPYRIGHT
The source code and the documentation of Purge and GLAM2 are released in the public domain. GLAM2 1056 05/19/2008 GLAM2-PURGE(1)