Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question about /proc/acpi (Debian 7.2 w/ 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel) Post 302881301 by gacanepa on Friday 27th of December 2013 05:09:33 PM
Old 12-27-2013
bakunin,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write this.
Yes, it did not answer my question, but I actually love to learn about the background of things I tend to take for granted.
Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Kernel panic - not syncing: cannot execute a PAE-enabled kernel on PAE-less CPU

ok so I just installed fedora core 6 on my dell inspiron 700m and I go to boot into linux and I get this error. Has anyone seen this before? I also had XP Pro and Vista installed on this pc prior to putting fedora core 6 on the machine. I'm trying to setup a triple boot system. Please Help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave043
2 Replies

2. Linux

kernel: ACPI:

I've noted the following within /var/log/messages, any idea how to check whether they are related to hardware/driver problems, pls? :confused: Sep 9 11:56:08 triton smartd: Device: /dev/sda, opened Sep 9 11:56:08 triton kernel: ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id lapic_id enabled) Sep 9 11:56:08... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jon80
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummy question about /proc/cpuinfo

Perhaps this is a very dummy question but sorry I don't know other place to do it. We just buy a new cluster of Xeon machines but there is something I don't understand and perhaps someone can help me. The more /proc/cpuinfo produces the following output (just part of it). processor : 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhc
1 Replies

4. Debian

Debian - kernel dircolors daily error 6

I'm using Debian 5.0.4 Lenny. Daily my logs kern.log, messages, and syslog are filled with errors regarding dircolors: I've googled this to death and still haven't found a solution to fix or stop this. I read on man dircolors to: dircolors --version The output I receive on this cmd is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliej
0 Replies

5. Debian

how to find out the kernel version of a particular debian release ?

Is there any metrics table available somewhere listing out, which kernel version is there in particular debian release ? Also, can somebody tell which debian release is having the kernel version 2.6.26 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thegeek
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Question on /proc/cpuinfo

Hi, I wanted to understand what exactly /proc/cpuinfo shows? We have a machine with following specification... (2x) Intel Xeon 6-core processors So, ideally it shouls have 12processors, but the output on /proc/cpuinfo shows 24 processors. Can someone please explain how this is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrshah64
3 Replies

7. Debian

Headers for kernel 2.6.26-2-xen-686

Hello, I am having hard time finding 2.6.26-2-xen-686 headers. Anyone know where i can find them ? Thank you so much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

PAE kernel memory limit

What is the limit of LowMem and HighMem in PAE enable kernel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

9. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

10. Debian

Debian install - kernel panic

Hello all, I would like to install Debian Jessie on my i386 When I boot from the installiso I see the menu and pick 'install'. The bios beeps once immediately and I get the following output: I 've tried 3 cd's already...(md5 sum=ok) this computer always ran... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: drum159
13 Replies
normality(5)							File Formats Manual						      normality(5)

NAME
normality - definition of what types of normalities different users may have. SYNOPSIS
/etc/normality DESCRIPTION
The normality configuration file has a rather simple syntax, as shown in the diagram in the next section. Some things to remember is that the normality file's influence is inversely proportional to the user's cluefulness and that, in certain cirumstances, modification of the normality file can and will be considered immoral. NORMALITY GRAMMAR
<normality file> := <normality file> <line> | ; <line> := <normality type> ': ' <userlist> | <normality type> '! ' <userlist> | <normality type> '= ' <normality tags> | <comment> <normality type> := [A-Z][a-zA-Z0-9]+ <userlist> := <username> ', ' <userlist> ';0 | <username> ';0 <normality tags> := <normality tag> ', ' <normality tags> ';0 | <normality tag> ';0 <normality tag> := 'marriage' | 'love-relation' | 'nice-job' | 'money' | 'spare-time' | 'friends' | 'no-pager' | 'vacation' <comment> := '#' .* '0 SEMANTICS
It is expected that you specify all normality types before you start assigning (or disassigning) users to (or from) them. That is so the system can do an easier consistency check of the specification. Let's say that we have a system with three normality types, foo, bar and gazonk and two users, cucumber and onion. Now, a line like "foo! onion;" would exclude onion from having any of the real-life things specified by the foo type, even if that (or those) things appear in another normality type. So, the disallow syntax overrides the allow syntax (specified by "<type>: <username>..."). There is always an implicit type named ``all'', that contains all normality tags. For all system administrators, you have an implicit rule, "all! asr". EXAMPLES
# Normality file for a sad system # Our users are onion, cucumber, jdoe, jrl and washu animetype= love-relation, nice-job, friends, spare-time; notworst= love-relation, nice-job, friends; sysadm= friends; # All normality types we will use are declared # Now let's do the magic stuff... all: jdoe, jrl; animetype: washu; sysadm: cucumber; all! onion; # Now, this is fairly easy, OK? WARNINGS AND BUGS
This file messes with the real world, so a bit of caution is recommended. Newer versions of the chastise(3) library function modifies this file on-the-fly. Has a tendecy to create small discontinuities in the velvet of reality whenever there are syntax errors in the normality file. AUTHOR
This sick idea was put down in *roff format by Ingvar Mattsson, as a contribution to the alt.sysadmin.recovery man page collection. 4th Berkeley Distribution Release 0.001 alpha normality(5)