Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Making webpy framework accessible from outside the local network Post 302879792 by frad on Sunday 15th of December 2013 11:06:56 AM
Old 12-15-2013
Quote:
What your router/modem now does is called NAT (Network Address Translation): when it connects to your provider it is given a single official IP-address for its "outside"-interface. The "inside"-interface gets some local (private) address. When one of your systems try to connect to somewhere outside the router intercepts these packets, rewrites them using its official "outside"-IP and connects to the requested server itself. As an answer comes back it rewrites the package again using its "inside" address and then transmits it into the local network. This way the local addresses are never seen outside the local network.

This means you have to configure your router accordingly to allow for requests from outside to be directed to your webserver inside and the requests and answers be rewritten properly.
Could you please guide me how to set up the forwarding just to see it working (I see that the ips should updated manually)?

I make a guess, I should use a command like this:

Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j DNAT -d IP1 -p tcp --dport PORT_X --to IP2

PLease replace IP1 or IP2 with the IP assigned from my ISP and I find it via the "whatismyip" webpage and the IP that I see with the ifconfig command /etho or wlan

---------- Post updated at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:03 AM ----------

Do I guess correctly that the forwarding needs to be:

From local IP (eth0, wlan) to the ISP IP? and then the rest is done automatically?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

SF4800 SC not accessible thru network

Hi All, I have my SC setup as attached below but I am having problem accessing the port thru network. sc0 was accessible only after i failed over the configuratios to sc1 (now then sc1 was not pingable :(). Just wondering is there anything wrong with my sc settings? Appreciate your advice. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honmin
4 Replies
dispatch(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       dispatch(3)

NAME
dispatch -- the dispatch framework SYNOPSIS
#include <dispatch/dispatch.h> DESCRIPTION
The dispatch framework allows blocks to be scheduled for asynchronous and concurrent execution via the core functions described in dispatch_async(3) and dispatch_apply(3). Dispatch queues are the basic units of organization of blocks. Several queues are created by default, and applications may create additional queues for their own use. See dispatch_queue_create(3) for more information. Dispatch groups allow applications to track the progress of blocks submitted to queues and take action when the blocks complete. See dispatch_group_create(3) for more information. The dispatch framework also provides functions to monitor underlying system events and automatically submit event handler blocks to dispatch queues. SEE ALSO
dispatch_after(3), dispatch_api(3), dispatch_apply(3), dispatch_async(3), dispatch_data_create(3), dispatch_group_create(3), dispatch_io_create(3), dispatch_io_read(3), dispatch_object(3), dispatch_once(3), dispatch_queue_create(3), dispatch_semaphore_create(3), dispatch_source_create(3), dispatch_time(3) Darwin May 1, 2009 Darwin