Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Match strings in 2 different files Post 302879649 by Franklin52 on Friday 13th of December 2013 01:51:44 PM
Old 12-13-2013
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR{_[substr($0,1,6)]; next}{for(i in _){if(i==substr($0,1,7)){print $0}}}' file1 file2 > file3

Should be:
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR{_[substr($0,1,6)]; next}{for(i in _){if(i==substr($0,2,6)){print $0}}}' file1 file2 > file3

Or shorter:
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR{_[$1]; next} substr($0,2,6) in _' file1 file2 > file3

This User Gave Thanks to Franklin52 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex in if-then-else statement to match strings

hello I want to do a pattern match for string in the if statement, but I am not sure how to use regex inside the if statement. I am looking for something like this: if {2,3} ]; then ..... .... ... fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file to match strings

I have a file with the following format 12g data/datasets/cct 8g data/dataset/cct 10 g data/two 5g data/something_different 10g something_different 5g data/two is there a way to loop through this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yawalias
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match strings in two files and compare columns of both

Good Morning, I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to achieve the following, preferably with a little commenting for understanding. I have 2 files, each with multiple rows with multiple columns. I need to find each row where the value in column 1 of file 1 matches column 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarciasMuffin
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep help (match two strings one line)

Hello, Here I have some grep command which is not working correctly: cat file1.txt: apples Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 8:14:06 -0800 peaches melons cherry sky cloud green purple yellow cat file2.txt: apples Date peaches melons 0800 cherry sky cloud green purple black (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: holyearth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning two lines if they both match strings

Hi I have a problem where I have a large amount of files that I need to scan and return a line and its following line, but only when the following line begins with a string. String one - line one must begin with 'Bill' String two - line two must begin with 'Jones'. If these two... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormajormajor
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to match strings and outputing their corresponding values

Hi I will appreciate it if you can help me out. I have a file that contains this data System Load: 3244 card: 1903 CPU: 6% card: 1904 CPU: 6% card: 1905 CPU: 28% card: 1906 CPU: 28% card: 1907 CPU: 36% card: 1908 CPU: 37% I need to manipulate and output this as system_load:3244... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaf3773
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match Strings between two files, print portions of each file together when matched ([g]awk)

I have two files and desire to use the strings from $1 of file 1 (file1.txt) as search criteria to find matches in $2 of file 2 (file2.txt). If matches are found I want to output the entire line of file 2 (file2.txt) followed by fields $2-$11 of file 1 (file1.txt). I can find the matches, I cannot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match patterns between two files and extract certain range of strings

Hi, I need help to match patterns from between two different files and extract region of strings. inputfile1.fa >l-WR24-1:1 GCCGGCGTCGCGGTTGCTCGCGCTCTGGGCGCTGGCGGCTGTGGCTCTACCCGGCTCCGG GGCGGAGGGCGACGGCGGGTGGTGAGCGGCCCGGGAGGGGCCGGGCGGTGGGGTCACGTG... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunny_merah19
4 Replies
replace(1)							  MySQL database							replace(1)

NAME
replace - A utility program that is used by msql2mysql, but that has more general applicability as well. replace changes strings in place in files or on the standard input. Uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. Can be used to swap strings. USAGE
replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... -- [files] or replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... < fromfile > tofile SYNOPSIS
replace [-?|-I] [-s] [-v] DESCRIPTION
replace -?|-I info -s silent -v verbose EXTRA INFO
Special characters in from string: ^ Match start of line. $ Match end of line.  Match space-character, start of line or end of line. For a end  the next replace starts locking at the end space-character. A  alone in a string matches only a space-character. EXAMPLE
this command swaps a and b in the given files: shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ... SEE ALSO
isamchk(1), isamlog(1), mysql(1), mysqlaccess(1), mysqladmin(1), mysqld(1), mysqld_multi(1), mysqld_safe(1), mysqldump(1), mysql_fix_privi- lege_tables(1), mysqlshow(1), mysql_zap(1), perror(1), For more information please refer to the MySQL reference manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ BUGS
Please refer to http://bugs.mysql.com/ to report bugs. AUTHOR
Ver 1.0, distribution 4.0.24 Michael (Monty) Widenius (monty@mysql.com), MySQL AB (http://www.mysql.com/). This software comes with no warranty. Manual page by L. (Kill-9) Pedersen (kill-9@kill-9.dk), Mercurmedia Data Model Architect / system developer (http://www.mercur- media.com) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWmysqlr, SUNWmysqlu, SUNWmysqlt | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ NOTES
Source for mysql is available on http://opensolaris.org. MySQL 4.0 19 December 2000 replace(1)