Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search list of files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search list of files Post 302879499 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 12th of December 2013 05:22:09 PM
Old 12-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozoo
is this what you require ?

Code:
while read a
do
grep -i "$a" file1
done  < file2

Without an anchor "^$a" or "$a"xml.gz one can keep it simple
Code:
fgrep -if file2 file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a string from list of input files

Hello, I am trying to match a string between line one and line two with in the file. But I dont want to search based on the given filename. Instead I want to search for all available files in the specific directory. Please help me on the above. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumarvenkat
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search a list of lines in file into files

I have a file (file1) which is like host1 host2 host3 host4 the list goes on............ Now I want the above lines in files to be compared with files under /opt/new/ File names are as below: Dev Prod QA And suppose host1 from file1 is found under Dev(file under /opt/new)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search files with specfic extention and later search content

Hi, I would appriciate if somebody can help me figure out how to search for all the *.xml file under a specific directory and subdirectroies (/home/username) and later search of content "<start>" inside the xml file returned by search. -Lovin.V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovi_v
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to search patterns inside list of files

>testfile while read x do if then echo $x >> testfile else fi if then echo $x >> testfile else fi done < list_of_files is there any efficient way to search abc.dml and xyz.dml ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
2 Replies

7. SuSE

Search all files based on first and in all listed files search the second patterns

Hello Linux Masters, I am not a linux expert therefore i need help from linux gurus. Well i have a requirement where i need to search all files based on first patterns and after seraching all files then serach second pattern in all files which i have extracted based on first pattern.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Black-Linux
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search from a list of words

Hello, I'm trying to write a bash script that will search for words from one list that may be found in another list. Once the record is found, it will create a new text file for each word. For example, list1.txt contains the following: Dog Cat Fish List2.txt contains Dog - Buddy 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take a list if strings from a file and search them in a list of files and report them

I have a file 1.txt with the below contents. -----cat 1.txt----- 1234 5678 1256 1234 1247 ------------------- I have 3 more files in a folder -----ls -lrt------- A1.txt A2.txt A3.txt ------------------- The contents of those three files are similar format with different data values... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: realspirituals
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies
STAG-GREP(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     STAG-GREP(1p)

NAME
stag-grep - filters a stag file (xml, itext, sxpr) for nodes of interest SYNOPSIS
stag-grep person -q name=fred file1.xml stag-grep person 'sub {shift->get_name =~ /^A*/}' file1.xml stag-grep -p My::Foo -w sxpr record 'sub{..}' file2 USAGE
stag-grep [-p|parser PARSER] [-w|writer WRITER] NODE -q tag=val FILE stag-grep [-p|parser PARSER] [-w|writer WRITER] NODE SUB FILE stag-grep [-p|parser PARSER] [-w|writer WRITER] NODE -f PERLFILE FILE DESCRIPTION
parsers an input file using the specified parser (which may be a built in stag parser, such as xml) and filters the resulting stag tree according to a user-supplied subroutine, writing out only the nodes/elements that pass the test. the parser is event based, so it should be able to handle large files (although if the node you parse is large, it will take up more memory) ARGUMENTS
-p|parser FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module xml assumed as default -w|writer FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module -c|count prints the number of nodes that pass the test -filterfile|f a file containing a perl subroutine (in place of the SUB argument) -q|query TAG1=VAL1 -q|query TAG2=VAL2 ... -q|query TAGN=VALN filters based on the field TAG other operators can be used too - eg <, <=, etc multiple q arguments can be passed in for more complex operations, pass in your own subroutine, see below SUB a perl subroutine. this subroutine is evaluated evry time NODE is encountered - the stag object for NODE is passed into the subroutine. if the subroutine passes, the node will be passed to the writer for display NODE the name of the node/element we are filtering on FILE the file to be parser. If no parser option is supplied, this is assumed to a be a stag compatible syntax (xml, sxpr or itext); otherwise you should parse in a parser name or a parser module that throws stag events SEE ALSO
Data::Stag perl v5.10.0 2008-12-23 STAG-GREP(1p)