Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Find the newest file in two directories Post 302878492 by Falstaff on Friday 6th of December 2013 10:37:06 AM
Old 12-06-2013
Aaa yea i see, ok so now i have that

Code:
for f1 in directory1/*
do
    for f2 in directory2/*
    do
       if [ $f1 = $f2 ] && [ $f1 -nt $f2 ]
       then
          echo "$f1 is newer than $f2"
       else
          echo "$f2 is newer than $f1"
       fi
    done
done

but $f1 show for example "directory1/song.mp3" and I need only "song.mp3". Now i must think how i can get only filename without directory. Or it's bad thinking ?

Last edited by vbe; 12-06-2013 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: indent

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

to find a file in set of directories

Hi, what is the command in unix to find a file abc.c in a directory which had n number of sub-directories. thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file in sub-directories.. o/p just the path

Hello All, I am somehow stumped with this ting. 'Find' will sure show me.. but I want only thepath of all the occurences of the file in any of the sub-dirs.. Any help will be sincerely appreciated. thanx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find directories that do NOT contain a certain file extension

for x in `find /vmfs/volumes/v01tstn01a01/ -type d`; do find $x -name '*.vmx' > /dev/null || echo $x; done; The goal of this is to find the subdirectories that do NOT contain a file with the extension of .vmx Any help would be great! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hodnov
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Directories That Do Not Contain A Certain File

I'm having problems figuring out the process to find directories that DO NOT contain a certain file. I have a mp3 collection that all the album art is name "folder.jpg". Not all the albums have images. I need a way to find the albums/directories that do not contain "folder.jpg". I can find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subsonic
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the recent file in many sub-directories?

Hi guys, Under my root directory there are many sub-directories which contains log file for every day of running. How can I find , in one command only, the recent log file in each sub-directory? For example, If I run the following: find . -name "exp_prod_*_*_yes_*_.log" -exec ls -ltr {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort output from find from oldest to newest?

Hi, How do I sort the output of find to provide a listing of files from oldest to newest? For example, if I do a find /tmp -type f -print I want the output to be sorted in the order of the oldest to the newest file. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting directories resulted from Find in one file

Hi Need help for the following scenario. I am having two directories /tmp/a and /tmp/b. /tmp/a again has subdirectories /tmp/a/aa and /tmp/a/ab. I want to run a script from /tmp/b to search for a file user.lst in the folders /tmp/a/aa and /tmp/a/ab, if available, i want to make a file in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Find entries from one file in another

Please help. I want to read a file line by line (only 1 column) and print all corresponding rows from a second file (2 columns) . Only first column of second file has to be matched with only column of first file. Order of lines in output doesn't matter. Simplified example Input 1 A B... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file by filename or with newest modified date

Hi, I have a directory that has numerous files in it, and there is two which are named "filerec_ddmmyyHH24MMSS" by the time they are created so "filerec_010615012250" was created at 01:22:50 on 1st June 2015. I need to find the most recently created of those 2 files and get the contents of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: finn
4 Replies
mvdir(1)						      General Commands Manual							  mvdir(1)

NAME
mvdir - Moves (renames) a directory SYNOPSIS
mvdir directory1 directory2 DESCRIPTION
The mvdir command renames directories within a file system. To use mvdir, you must have write permission to directory1 and directory2 and to the parent directories of directory1 and directory2. The directory1 argument must name an existing directory. If directory2 does not exist, directory1 is moved to directory2. If directory2 exists, directory1 becomes a subdirectory of directory2. directory2 cannot be a subdirectory of directory1. Directories cannot be moved across file systems. You can also rename a directory with the mv command. NOTES
This command was made obsolete by the mv command. EXAMPLES
To rename or move a directory to another location, enter: mvdir appendixes manual If manual does not exist, then this renames the directory appendixes to manual. If a directory named manual already exists, this moves appendixes and its contents to manual/appendixes. In other words, appendixes becomes a subdirectory of manual. SEE ALSO
Commands: mkdir(1), mv(1) Functions: rename(2) mvdir(1)