Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Compile smbfs module in kernel version 3.10 running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Post 302878442 by Monil on Friday 6th of December 2013 07:04:44 AM
Old 12-06-2013
Compile smbfs module in kernel version 3.10 running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Is there any way to compile smbfs module in kernel 3.10 running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I did a 'make menuconfig' and it shows cifs. I found out online that smbfs is deprecated and replaced by cifs. I have an old system with kernel version 2.4 which only has smbfs (no cifs). Is it possible to compile smbfs in newer kernel versions?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How to convert Linux Kernel built-in module into a loadable module

Hi all, I am working on USB data monitoring on Fedora Core 9. Kernel 2.6.25 has a built-in module (the one that isn't loadable, but compiles and links statically with the kernel during compilation) to snoop USB data. It is in <kernel_source_code>/drivers/usb/mon/. I need to know if I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anitemp
0 Replies

2. Linux

Howto compile my own module into the kernel

Hi there, I'm currently writing a program/module which makes use of the Linux Security Modules (LSM), which provide hooks for some security . The bad thing about it is: The function to set the hook to the LSM is not exported. That means, I can't just write a loadable kernel module, but have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS vs Solaris 10

Hello, I am considering Ubuntu 10.04 (ubuntu-10.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso) and also Solaris 10 (sol-10-u10-ga2-x86-dvd.iso) for different hardware applications and I had a few questions. The hardware on my laptop is: HP Pavilion dv4 2045-dx x64 laptop AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcus Aurelius
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

GUI for a single user using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I setup an Ubuntu 10.04 server which has several developers on the box. I have been ask to add a gui to the server. Only one developer want the gui to start when she logs in(runlevel 2 with a GUI). I am used to seeing an /etc/inittab file which I cannot seem to find under this Ubuntu version. So... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error while installing glibc 2.16.0 on ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I come across the following error while configuring glibc 2.16.0 on ubuntu 12.04 LTS:"These critical programs are missing or too old: ld". Please suggest me a solution for the same at the earliest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nov_2012
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Emacs printing with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I am trying to setup a development environment that mirrors my Windows and SCO Unix systems. I use emacs and I am having trouble printing. I keep getting the error message; Symbol's function definition is void: default-printer-name I have googled this and for possible answers for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trolley
0 Replies
RUMP_SMBFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     RUMP_SMBFS(8)

NAME
rump_smbfs -- mount a smbfs share with a userspace server SYNOPSIS
file-system PUFFS pseudo-device putter rump_smbfs [options] share mountpoint DESCRIPTION
NOTE! This manual page describes features specific to the rump(3) file server. Please see mount_smbfs(8) for a full description of the available command line options. The rump_smbfs utility can be used to mount smbfs file systems. It uses rump(3) and p2k(3) to facilitate running the file system as a server in userspace. As opposed to mount_smbfs(8), rump_smbfs does not use file system code within the kernel and therefore does not require kernel support except puffs(4). Apart from a minor speed penalty there is no downside with respect to in-kernel code. Even though the rump_smbfs file system client runs within a virtual rump kernel in userspace, it uses host network services (by means of ``rump sockin''). This means that regardless of whether using rump_smbfs or mount_smbfs(8), the same network configurations will be used. Currently, ``sockin'' supports IPv4. To use rump_smbfs via mount(8), the flags -o rump and -t smbfs should be given. Similarly, rump_smbfs is used instead of mount_smbfs(8) if ``rump'' is added to the options field of fstab(5). SEE ALSO
p2k(3), puffs(3), rump(3), mount_smbfs(8) HISTORY
The rump_smbfs utility first appeared in NetBSD 6.0. BSD
November 21, 2010 BSD