Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Menu shell script help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Menu shell script help Post 302876142 by Don Cragun on Friday 22nd of November 2013 01:47:00 AM
Old 11-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawrajesh
Hi ,
Still same error.

Code:
./testing.sh
./testing.sh: line 35: syntax error near unexpected token `['
./testing.sh: line 35: `          if [ $CHOSEN_KEY -eq 1 ];'

Code:
while [ $# -ge 1 ]
do
    CHOSEN_KEY=$1
    shift
    case "$CHOSEN_KEY" in
       1) echo TEST1 ;;
          if [ $CHOSEN_KEY -eq 1 ];
          echo TEST1 ;;
          then
          echo "Select Version"
          echo "[a] - Version 6"
          echo "[b] - Version 7"
          echo "Please enter your option: "
          read "CHOSEN_VER"
          if [ "$CHOSEN_VER" == "a" ];
          then
          echo " You have chosen Version 6 installation "
          elif [ "$CHOSEN_VER" == "b" ];
          then
          echo " You have chosen Version 7 installation "
          else
          echo "Select proper category"
          fi
          fi
          break;;

There are several problems here. Note the code marked in red above.

First the 1st ";;" on the first line of the actions for case 1 terminates the actions for that case. Having an if statement following that is not allowed. I assume you should just remove this ";;".

Second, you are in the actions to be performed when $CHOSEN_KEY expands to 1; so why do you need to test whether $CHOSEN_KEY still expands to 1 one line later?

Third, you have an echo statement after an if statement before the then keyword. And, it ends with another ";;".

I'm guessing you want something more like:
Code:
while [ $# -ge 1 ]
do
    CHOSEN_KEY="$1"
    shift
    case "$CHOSEN_KEY" in
    (1) echo TEST1
        echo 'Select Version'
        echo '[a] - Version 6'
        echo '[b] - Version 7'
        printf 'Please enter your option: '
        read CHOSEN_VER
        if [ "$CHOSEN_VER" = "a" ]
        then
            echo ' You have chosen Version 6 installation'
        elif [ "$CHOSEN_VER" = "b" ]
        then
            echo ' You have chosen Version 7 installation'
        else
            echo 'Select proper category'
            # I am surprised that you do not exit here instead of continuing???
        fi
        break;;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing korn shell script text Menu colors?

Is it possible to change the color of text in a korn shell script Menu? I can change the color of session text through my telnet client but I want to be able to change color text in the Korn shell menu to highlight certain items. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Script: With Menu Option

I am attempting to create a shell script with the following capaciblities: 1. Listed options to choice from 2. Use to perform awk statements 3. Print a report with the awk results My questions are 1. How do I select more than one file for option #5 and #6 2. How to I create an... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jroberson
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to alter grub menu.lst

Hi folks, I have a dual-boot Ubuntu/Windows machine and I wanted to create a script to change the menu.lst file so it will change the default boot partition (this is so I can reload the machine remotely and allow it to boot to the Windows partition). Today I have to sudo cp a template file I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppucci
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Menu Driven Shell Script which accepts1 to 5 options

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 1) Write a Menu Driven Shell Script which accepts1 to 5 options and performs the following actions for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaghya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script menu

hi guys, how would you do the following? I have a menu with 5 options in my shell script: 1. Run function 1 against files 2. Run function 2 against files 3. Run function 3 against files 4. Run function 4 against files 5. Run function 5 against files I'd like to be able to run multiple... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu using shell script

Hi, I need to have a shell script for the below need. 1. Menu with one heading and 4 options. 2. the heading and 4 options are taken from a file. File entry ====== Heading1|option1|option2|option3|option4| Heading2|option1|option2|option3|option4| 3. the user entries must be captured in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umastinu
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script menu problem

I have tried searching the forum but i haven't found a solution for this. I have a shell script that presents the users with menus. The menus branch out to sub menus. It is all hunky dory as long as i traverse forward. But if i am in a sub menu and return to the previous menu and choose any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

A selection menu in a shell script

I'm writing a shell script and have a problem with selection when I issue the command, is there a way to automatically choose a selection number one after a selection menue appear Command 1-choice 2- choice 3-choice Thanks Sara (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate the menu options using shell script

I have a menu option which will look as follows Select a menu option 1.change password 2.login as root user 3.show system version 4.quit Select> 1 please enter the new password: unix reenter the new password: unix press any key to enter (then displays again the menu options to enter the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivakumar6g
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include menu based options in Shell script?

Hi Friends, I have a menu based tool which requires input/option to proceed further. How to make a shell script ? eg: menu looks like Get_data.sh to continue (y/n) : Here I need to key in "y" to proceed. I want to prepare a script which should consider option y. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
5 Replies
OCI_FIELD_TYPE(3)														 OCI_FIELD_TYPE(3)

oci_field_type - Returns a field's data type name

SYNOPSIS
mixed oci_field_type (resource $statement, mixed $field) DESCRIPTION
Returns a field's data type name. PARAMETERS
o $statement - A valid OCI statement identifier. o $field - Can be the field's index (1-based) or name. RETURN VALUES
Returns the field data type as a string, or FALSE on errors. EXAMPLES
Example #1 oci_field_type(3) example <?php // Create the table with: // CREATE TABLE mytab (number_col NUMBER, varchar2_col varchar2(1), // clob_col CLOB, date_col DATE); $conn = oci_connect("hr", "hrpwd", "localhost/XE"); if (!$conn) { $m = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($m['message']), E_USER_ERROR); } $stid = oci_parse($conn, "SELECT * FROM mytab"); oci_execute($stid, OCI_DESCRIBE_ONLY); // Use OCI_DESCRIBE_ONLY if not fetching rows echo "<table border="1"> "; echo "<tr>"; echo "<th>Name</th>"; echo "<th>Type</th>"; echo "<th>Length</th>"; echo "</tr> "; $ncols = oci_num_fields($stid); for ($i = 1; $i <= $ncols; $i++) { $column_name = oci_field_name($stid, $i); $column_type = oci_field_type($stid, $i); $column_size = oci_field_size($stid, $i); echo "<tr>"; echo "<td>$column_name</td>"; echo "<td>$column_type</td>"; echo "<td>$column_size</td>"; echo "</tr> "; } echo "</table> "; // Outputs: // Name Type Length // NUMBER_COL NUMBER 22 // VARCHAR2_COL VARCHAR2 1 // CLOB_COL CLOB 4000 // DATE_COL DATE 7 oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> NOTES
Note In PHP versions before 5.0.0 you must use ocicolumntype(3) instead. This name still can be used, it was left as alias of oci_field_type(3) for downwards compatability. This, however, is deprecated and not recommended. SEE ALSO
oci_num_fields(3), oci_field_name(3), oci_field_size(3). PHP Documentation Group OCI_FIELD_TYPE(3)