Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help needed - RHL
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help needed - RHL Post 302875994 by Corona688 on Thursday 21st of November 2013 10:45:28 AM
Old 11-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi123
I changed ip in /etc/hosts and used init 3 to reboot.
Reboot would be init 6. I think 'init 3' might be 'shut down all network applications', which includes graphical user interfaces as far as Linux is concerned.

If you have keyboard/monitor to a Linux PC, you do have a physical terminal -- several in fact. You can switch between them at will with ctrl-alt-f1 (or alt-f1 on some machines) through ctrl-alt-f12. The GUI lives in one of these terminals, so at least one will be blank right now.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual booted RHL 7.3 with Win XP..

Hello all, I'm a no Linux expert! But I perfectly dual booted Win XP with RHL 7.3 on a hp pavilion notebook (model ze5170). All working fantastic now. But I have a minor problem now. I can't get RHL probe the modem, so could not get the internet connection working. The modem is a Conexant... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External Modem for RHL 7.3...

Another stupid question... and I can only hope someone can spend a little time answering it... So thats it. I went thru the documentation out there at linmodems.org, trie this and that... read thru this post https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1787 on my favorite forums. And... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
3 Replies

3. Debian

HDD not detected by RHL 9 (or 7.2)

Hi, I have got myself a new hard disk- a 80 GB SATA IDE from Seagate. When I try installing Red Hat Linux 9(and RHL 7.2 too), it displays an error message saying that it fails to detect any hard drive. In the BIOS, I tried changing the drive configuration to "Legacy Drive", but that didnt help... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek Ghose
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed

Hi All, I need help in writing a script. I need a script that takes a name as a parameter and executes the follwoing steps. The name will be like BUDGET01_BARE_DLY_YYYYMMDD, BUDGET02_BARE_DLY_YYYYMMDD etc. The YYYYMMDD represent today( systemdate). This names have to be passed as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
2 Replies

5. AIX

Little help needed.

Hello, I am quite new to AIX, but have Linux experience. Iam facing a peoblem with AIX 5.2 running on a 43p Model 150 (RS6000). I tried everyting and i cant have the network to run properly. :confused: /etc/hosts looks like this: 127.0.0.1 loopback localhost 192.168.XXX.XXX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Netghost
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed

Hello all, I am new to unix.i need the interview questions commonly asked for shell scripting and unix.if anyone had the useful link please tell me. Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ithirak17
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

Help needed

Hi, Can anyone please tell me where I can get the small projects with source code based on client-server programming using sockets in unix :confused::confused::confused: Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed

First of all, let me state that I am a windows admin. I have a windows share mounted to /mnt/server I need a script that will either login as sudo or perform commands with sudo rights. I need the script to copy all of the users /home folders to the mounted windows share. Now If I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EricM
2 Replies

9. Linux

Local NTP on RHL

Hi I have an offline system, no access to the internet. It has a number of windows vms as well as some physical Red hat linux servers. I would like to one of the linux servers as a NTP server, so its local time is used as the reference point for all the other vms. How do I do this. Most of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kelseyh1
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help needed

For a student file with the following fields, rollno, name, marks. Generate 2 files ‘Pass' and ‘Fail‘containing records of student who have passed or failed. Also count the number of students who have passed or failed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jainitai
1 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)