Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users File Processing: Handling spaces in a line Post 302874539 by rbatte1 on Friday 15th of November 2013 12:19:51 PM
Old 11-15-2013
Yes, I have seen that you were editing your post as I was writing mine. Oh well Smilie

So, if you want to exclude all blank lines, comments (actually starting with a #) and those starting "WHOA=", then you can have all this in one grep thus:-
Code:
egrep -v "^$|^#|^WHOA=" file > tmp/myenv.$$
. /tmp/myenv.$$
rm /tmp/myenv.$$

You have various suggestions now. Which one is closest to what you need? We can concentrate on that route.

Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling spaces in unix

I am testing a ksh script for email. In the script I receive several parameters. One of them is a subject. The subject may contain spaces. Ex. Test this. When I am running the script on telnet to test, how should the syntax at the command line be written. I have this: ksh ResendE.sh '001111'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercbw
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file line by line and processing for each line

Hi, I am a beginner in shell scripting. I have written the following script, which is supposed to process the while loop for each line in the sid_home.txt file. But I'm getting the 'end of file' unexpected for the last line. The file sid_home.txt gets generated as expected, but the script... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file inside awk and processing line by line

Hi Sorry to multipost. I am opening the new thread because the earlier threads head was misleading to my current doubt. and i am stuck. list=`cat /u/Test/programs`; psg "ServTest" | awk -v listawk=$list '{ cmd_name=($5 ~ /^/)? $9:$8 for(pgmname in listawk) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling blank spaces

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes when I am find embedded spaces with in the fields. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,SEX,ADDRESS 1,Robert,74538,12,34, M,Robert Street, NY 2,Sam,07564,13,M,12 Main Ave, CA 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14,M,123D ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

handling white spaces with getopt

Hi I'm trying to ensure that I have catered for all situations with my getopt cases. One other situation I want to cover is should the user enter the script without any preceding arguments eg: ./script_eg I need the script to the direct the user to the helpfile I have tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling directory with spaces in for loops

Hi everyone, I have been a big fan here since a couple years (since I started being an admin ...) and finally decided to become a member and help ppl and perhaps being helped Now I have a problem that might interest some of the gurus. I am abig fan of what I call "one liners". I am trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Remove spaces before processing each line?

Hi, all I have a file containing the following data: name: PRODUCT_1 date: 2010-01-07 really_long_name: PRODUCT_ABCDEFG I want to get the date (it is "2010-01-07" here), I could use the following code to do that: awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] line by line processing the same file

Hey, not too good at this, so I only managed a clumsy and SLOW solution to my problem that needs a drastic speed up. Any ideas how I write the following in awk only? Code is supposed to do... For every line read column values $6, $7, $8 and do a calculation with the same column values of every... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling filenames with spaces

I'm trying to handle some files with spaces in their name using "" or \ . Like "file 1" or file\ 1. My current confusion can be expressed by the following shell script: #!/bin/bash touch "file 1" "file 2" echo -n "ls: " ; ls echo --- for file in "file 1" "file 2" ; do echo $file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
9 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)