Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String increment in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String increment in UNIX Post 302873997 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 13th of November 2013 04:26:15 PM
Old 11-13-2013
Try this bash solution (assuming AAA BB CDA comes after AAA BB CCZ and AA comes after Z):

Code:
#!/bin/bash
S="0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
function inc
{
    local I F B
    F=${1%?}
    B=${1#$F}

case "$B" in
       (\ ) echo "$(inc "$F") " ;;
       (Z) [ -z "$F" ] && echo AA || echo "$(inc "$F")A" ;;
       (*) echo "$F${S:1+36#$B:1}"
    esac
}

read -p "Source : " src
read -p "Increment Number : " cnt

for((i=0;i<cnt;i++)) {
    echo "$src"
    src=$(inc "$src")
}

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 11-13-2013 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Clarify assumptions made

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i increment characters in unix.. ?

hi.. i am having some 3 files : ka, kb, kc i want to use these set of files in my script... how can i do that ? like first it should process "ka" .. then "kb".. then "kc" ... thanks, Krips. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increment numbers in several parts of a string

I know how to do produce this: string01 string02 string03 several different ways. But how do I do produce this (without getting lost in recursion): string01morestring100yetmore10 string02morestring101yetmore20 string03morestring102yetmore30 ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increment operators in unix

increment operators in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratima.kumari
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script: Str(007) to int(7),increment it(8) & convert back to string(008)

Hi, I have the following requirement. There will be following text/line in a file (eg: search-build.txt) PRODUCT_VERSION="V:01.002.007.Build1234" I need to update the incremental build number (eg here 007) every time I give a build through script. I am able to search the string and get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drwatson_droid
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment a variable in unix bash

Hello There, I have been trying to increment the value of variable to 1, 2, 3 etc. but, it displays 1 1+1 1+1+1 ..... :wall: Could anyone help out with this? for i in *.* do s=`expr $s+1` echo $s j=$i$j mv $i $j done Any help is appreciated? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: amrutha0303
24 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut the particular string and increment the rows?

Hi am using unix aix I have tried using awk but am getting only output = x ,its not incrementing next output set -A var1 vv qa za ct=0 i=3 while do var1=`echo ${var1}` count=`awk ' NR==$i++ {print;exit}' ${.txt} | cut -c5 ` echo $count let ct=ct+1 done (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment a string variable?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a novice at shell script. I am trying to write a script to determine each of the NIC configured on a linux system and its speed and Duplex. I came up with the following piece of code: echo `ifconfig -a | grep eth > /home/a/nic.txt` i=`awk -F, '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravin883
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and increment at each occurence of string (loop)

I created script (sh shell) to generate vlc playlist based on some data files. All works fine so far except one string I do not know how to handle with. VLCSTART='<vlc:id>' VLCV=0 VLCEND='</vlc:id>' echo -e $'\n'$'\t'$'\t'$'\t'$'\t'\$VLCSTART$VLCV$VLCENDOutput file contains several occurences... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiedCone
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and increment value in string of hex

I have a long string of hex (from ASN.1 data) where I need to find and change a particular hex value only and increment it. The hex pairs either side (84 and a7) of the value to increment will remain constant. i.e. "84 <length> <value_to_increment> a7" starting with 00. So end result: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: securegooner
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)													       MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)

mssql_field_seek - Seeks to the specified field offset

SYNOPSIS
bool mssql_field_seek (resource $result, int $field_offset) DESCRIPTION
Seeks to the specified field offset. If the next call to mssql_fetch_field(3) won't include a field offset, this field would be returned. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). o $field_offset - The field offset, starts at 0. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using mssql_field_seek(3) on the example for mssql_fetch_field(3) <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database mssql_connect('MANGOSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php'); // Send a select query to MSSQL $query = mssql_query('SELECT * FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct table echo '<h3>Table structure for 'persons'</h3>'; echo '<table border="1">'; // Table header echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>Field name</td>'; echo '<td>Data type</td>'; echo '<td>Max length</td>'; echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; // Dump all fields echo '<tbody>'; for ($i = 0; $i < mssql_num_fields($query); ++$i) { // Fetch the field information, notice the // field_offset parameter is not set. See // the mssql_field_seek call below $field = mssql_fetch_field($query); // Print the row echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>' . $field->name . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . strtoupper($field->type) . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . $field->max_length . '</td>'; echo '</tr>'; // Move the internal seek pointer to the next // row in the result set mssql_field_seek($query, $i + 1); } echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Free the query result mssql_free_result($query); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_fetch_field(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)