Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I create a tar file for only dir and its subdir structures?? Post 302873585 by yogendra.barode on Tuesday 12th of November 2013 12:11:52 PM
Old 11-12-2013
Code:
tar -cvzf filename.tar.gz DIR_NAME/

---------- Post updated at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:40 PM ----------

Code:
tar -czvf directory.tar.gz -C my_directory .

Last edited by Scott; 11-12-2013 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to create tar file

hello, im a newbie in unix scripting. can someone pls send me a sample script that will tar files in the folders of a specific directory, but will exclude specific files, and afterwards, will ftp the tar into another server. for example: in this directory, pshrprod:/opt/psoft/weblogic/818sp9_80... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajrandrup
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create new dir fro a file list

Hi, What will be the best way to do the follwing: i have a file calld dir.list /cav /cav/brif /usr/main /cat i want to run a script that will take each of the item in the file and create a new dir in a location that i'll choose it nee to do mkdir cav mkdir cav cd cav mkdir brif... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: banjo
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving dir subdir and files

I have created a directory structure and under the directory subdirectories and files are there.I need to move the entire thing to another path.How can i write a script to do that. currently the path of files is as below : /data1/serial/mcycle/archive : under this path differnt sub dir exist ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace string in multiple files, dir and subdir

Hello, I have a directory www with multiple directories. Every directory has site name with .htm, .html, .php files or sub directories with .htm, .php, .html file as example - www - sitename 1 - site 1 - sitename 2 - sitename 3 What I'm looking for is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyjill
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform action in dir if dir has .git subdir

Hi, I want to run git status for the dir which has subdir ".git" in it with dir path mentioned in output log? If a dir does not have .git subdir then skip that dir. Dir will have 100 main dirs & 500 + subdirs and so on. I appreciate all your help :b: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Create corrupted *.tar.gz file ?

Hello. I`m writing a bash script who archive log files and send them to backup server. I need some kind of checking mechanism for *.tar.gz files. I found something like: gunzip -t file.tar.gz //Not output from it. And for tar: tar tf file.tar.gz //Only lists archive 1.) I need make a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jabalv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create file Dir and Sub Dir same time

Hi Guys , I want create files Dire and Sub Dire. as same time using variable. EX: x1="/hk/Pt/put/NC/R1.txt" x2="/hk/pt/Put/Ot/NC/RN.txt" And i want delete all after done with my script. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create tar file

Following are the list of files available in the dataout directory a1.txt.gz a2.txt.gz b3.txt.gzStep 1: now the tar file needs to be created as follows. tar -cvf ab.tar *.gzAll the files with extn .gzg has to be bundled in the tar file. Once the tar file is created, the files which are... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files from dir and subdir to Archive with File name as complete path_filename

HI, I need to move all files from a dir & its all subdir to Archive folder which is indise dir only. and moved filename should changed to complete path ( Like Dir_subdir_subdir2_.._filename ). also all files names shoud capture in a file in order to mail I written below code ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: minijain7
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying the dir/subdir structure from one server to another?

Hi All, I want to copy the dir/subdir structure from SERVER-A to SERVER-B without copying all the files in each dir. Is it possible using SCP / SFTP command? For example, SERVER-A has following two dir/subdirectories and files under each subdir. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
1 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), http://libguestfs.org/. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011-2012 Red Hat Inc. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. BUGS
To get a list of bugs against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools To report a new bug against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools When reporting a bug, please supply: o The version of libguestfs. o Where you got libguestfs (eg. which Linux distro, compiled from source, etc) o Describe the bug accurately and give a way to reproduce it. o Run libguestfs-test-tool(1) and paste the complete, unedited output into the bug report. libguestfs-1.22.6 2013-08-24 virt-tar-out(1)