Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running two commands in background Post 302871543 by RudiC on Wednesday 6th of November 2013 11:17:18 AM
Old 11-06-2013
Try command1 & command2 &

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

running in background

i have a script called server.sh. how to run this script in backgroung using nohup command (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running the Script in Background.

Gurus, Pls. help on this to run the script in background. I have a script to run the informatica workflows using PMCMD in script. Say the script name is test.sh & Parameters to the script is Y Y Y Y The no of parameters to the bove script is 4. all are going to be a flags. Each flag will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands in background in a script

Hi, I was writing a script for backup,however i stumbled upon this.( As i mentioned in my earlier posts iam a beginner in shell scripting). Here is a piece of code case $DB_STAT in OFFLINE) echo "Service $SID currently $DB_STAT" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running script in background

When I run the following snippet in background #!/bin/ksh while do echo "$i" sleep 10 i=`expr $i + 1` done My job got stopped and it says like + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ex1 & I did "stty tostop" as suggested in many of the post but still not working... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
3 Replies

5. Solaris

About running processes in background

Hi, I need to establish a procedure that will start an application in background each time my remote Solaris server is (re)started. This would be a kind of daemon. I am no sysadmin expert, so I am looking for pointers. How should I proceed? What are the main steps? Thanks, JVerstry (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JVerstry
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running in background

Hello, I was trying to make some processes to run at background and went to a problem. First I tried just to loop in one line something like this: for i in {1..10}; do echo 'hello world' &; done; but it pops a syntax error, so I tried several ways to fix it but wasn't able to understand... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rash
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Where can I read about what happens when running commands in background

I want to know what happens when you run a shell builtin or an external script, vs an external binary. For example: ls uses stat() etc... with details that are as simple as possible, I am not a programmer, I am a sys admin. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

8. Solaris

running command in background

hi all i am running following command ufsdump 0ubf 512 /dev/rmt/0cbn /database/backup2/rman_backup/level1 >> /database/backup2/backup_tape/level1_rman_03aug12 2>&1; i want to run it in background how can i do it in this i am generating logs for backup. the problem occurs when i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script in background

Hi, I wrote a KSH script and running it on HP-UX machine I am running one script in background. My script is at location $HOME/myScript/test/background_sh When I view my script in background with psu commend > psu | grep background_sh I see following output UID PID PPID C ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhav
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running process in the background

Hi, I have this simple c program that creates duplicate process with fork(): #include <sys/types.h> main() { if (fork() == 0) while(1); else while(1); } I tried running it in the background gcc -o test first.c test & And I got this list of running process: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
4 Replies
INTRO(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  INTRO(1)

NAME
intro -- introduction to general commands (tools and utilities) DESCRIPTION
Section one of the manual contains most of the commands which comprise the BSD user environment. Some of the commands included in section one are text editors, command shell interpreters, searching and sorting tools, file manipulation commands, system status commands, remote file copy commands, mail commands, compilers and compiler tools, formatted output tools, and line printer commands. All commands set a status value upon exit which may be tested to see if the command completed normally. Traditionally, the value 0 signifies successful completion of the command, while a value >0 indicates an error. Some commands attempt to describe the nature of the failure by using exit codes as defined in sysexits(3), while others simply set the status to an arbitrary value >0 (typically 1). SEE ALSO
apropos(1), man(1), intro(2), intro(3), sysexits(3), intro(4), intro(5), intro(6), intro(7), security(7), intro(8), intro(9) Tutorials in the UNIX User's Manual Supplementary Documents. HISTORY
The intro manual page appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
October 21, 2001 BSD