Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut command issue with shell script Post 302870893 by Akshay Hegde on Tuesday 5th of November 2013 06:54:04 AM
Old 11-05-2013
You may try this also for given input in #1 this will work

Code:
$ cat file
492|3076394|SP40|1030028694570|20120125|20120207|13530392|||31||CHAPMAN PLACE|||COLCHESTER|ESSEX|CO4 5ZJ|ADI_001|7|_A|E|A|811|2|0151|EMEB|N|EMEB|N|EMEB|N|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|

Code:
$ awk  'x<3{printf $0 OFS}$1=="N"{++x}x>2{printf "\n";exit}'  RS="|" OFS="|" file

Resulting
Code:
492|3076394|SP40|1030028694570|20120125|20120207|13530392|||31||CHAPMAN PLACE|||COLCHESTER|ESSEX|CO4 5ZJ|ADI_001|7|_A|E|A|811|2|0151|EMEB|N|EMEB|N|EMEB|N|

OR

You can try like this
1-17 and 19-31
Code:
$ awk -F"|" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(i<=17 || i>=19 && i<=31)printf $i OFS}printf RS}' OFS="|" file

OR

Code:
$ cut -d '|' -f 1-17,19-31 file | awk ' $0=$0 "|" '

Last edited by Akshay Hegde; 11-05-2013 at 08:08 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script: Cut / (slash) character in string

I have a string "\/scratch\/databases\". I want to have a new string "\/scratch\/databases" by cutting last '\' character using shell script. I can't do this Please help me. Thanks in advance ThuongTranVN (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThuongTranVN
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut, concatenate data in Shell Script

Hello All,, I'm very new to Unix and I'm more in SAP ABAP. I have a requirement for a shell script which will accept one parameter as Input file name(with directory) e.g : /sapdata/deubank/dbdirect/out/deu01deupe/in/deu01deupe20051207111320.pmt In the shell script I have to make two more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan_srini
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using cut command in shell script

I'm new to shell programming, and am having a problem in a (Korn) shell program, which boils down to this: The program reads a record from an input file and then uses a series of "cut" commands to break the record into parts and assign the parts to variables. There are no delimiters in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joroca
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut command issue from a line of text

Hi, I got a line of text which has spaces in between and it is a long stream of characters. I want to extract the text from certain position. Below is the line and I want to take out 3 characters from 86 to 88 character position. In this line space is also a character. However when using cut... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut in shell script

Hi All, Am a Beginner to shell scripting, so please pardon my question. Below is the file format of file a.txt a.txt F=3 a|b|c|d 1|2|3|4 as|as|asd|asd Aas|as|asd|ada In the above file format, i have record count of total no of records excluding the header file here 3 , this varies... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp999
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell to cut command output

hello, i use following command: md5sum TEST.xml the output looks like: 900hjidur84hjr938ikv TEST.xml as you can see, the first part is the md5 code, the second part is the file name, but i only want the first part(md5 code), and save it to a file, how to do that? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT Command and grep issue

I am trying to grep the oracle erros evry day from the logs file. My problem is : -rw-r----- 1 tibcolm tibco 17438361 Apr 5 11:59 RetryService-RetryService.log -rw-r----- 1 tibcolm tibco 245303 Apr 5 12:00 ResponseService-ResponseService.log -rw-r----- 1 tibcolm tibco 2122654 Apr 5 12:00... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP command issue in shell script

Hi All I am using following code in my shell script to send the file to a mainframe server. ftp -in $FTP_IP_SEND <<END_OF_FTP >$LOG_DIR/ProviderExportFTP.log quote user $FTP_USER_SEND quote pass $FTP_PASS_SEND ascii send ./ProviderExport.txt 'PROJ.PDRCACTS.FD87050.EXPORT' (REPLACE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjith180282
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command issue

Need help to append a pipe at end of the line immediately after the cut command, I have an Input flat file with 16 feilds and I am removing the 16th feild by using the cut command as shown, Input: 354|||||CORPORTATION||||NENE PARADE|||WISBECH|CAMBRIDGESHIRE|PE13 3BY|100001| I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_001
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with CUT command

Hi All, I am facing an issue while cutting fields with comma delimiter. There are many records with Double quotes in between. My data: aaa,bbb,"ccc, ddd",eee,fff,"ggg ,hhh",iii When i use cut command with comma delimiter, i am getting wrong data like field1=aaa field2=bbb field3="ccc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)