Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers MAN command for various shells Post 302869559 by verdepollo on Wednesday 30th of October 2013 02:22:48 PM
Old 10-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdogadin
will work in any shell script if I run it on the same server?
Yes, but...

Keep in mind that different operating systems also have different implementations for the same tools, even the simplest ones.

This is particularly noticeable when you compare GNU utilities vs -say- BSD ones.

Almost every Linux system use GNU-based tools but it you were using AIX or Solaris I wouldn't blindly trust that "test" would behave exactly the same.

So, it also depends on who wrote those tools and if they comply with the standards (if any) -- You may be using 'test' written by GNU programmers, while some other server running AIX might be using "test" written by IBM engineers exclusively for AIX.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man command

I know what the man command does and I know how to use it, but i am trying to find an answer to a question. When you run man on an other command it will give you the first page on your screen and then you hit the space bar and it brings up the second page. What command option would I use if I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipoffools
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawning new shells from the command line in OpenStep 4.2

Hi all, Im trying to figure out what the command would be to launch terminal windows from the command line in Open Step 4.2 . (looking for something similiar like /usr/bin/xterm or /usr/bin/dtterm etc) echo $TERM = vt100 echo $SHELL = /bin/csh Im combing over alot of OpenStep 4.2 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rocketman8541
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Creating a Man page for a command

Hi, I would like to develop a man page as the one we usually get when we execute man <command name>. This man page will be for a samll utility that i have written. If this is not possible then what are the available possibilites for creating such help. thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
2 Replies

4. Linux

man command

Hey people do u know how to disable the man command in linux??? i am not able to do anythg apart from disabling the permission for /usr/bin/... i dont wanna uninstall the man / man pages also... this has been one of the toughest challenges i have come across in linux... can anybody... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux.user
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference in command syntax different shells

hi, i am aa unix amateur and i am using tsh, csh and bash most of the time. i have been looking over the net to find a summary of the differences in command syntax for example: in csh and tsh you do alias whatday date while in bash and ksh you do alias whatday=date i just want more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobiwhenuknowme
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences in BASH and ASH shells regarding if command?

Guys I now have a script that's working in a BASH environment, however one line doesn't appear to be working on an embedded device that has a busybox therefore ASH shell. I've googled but there's very little I can find regarding the ASH shell. In BASH the following line works... if ] ;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Man command

How to get only the options and arguments of a command excluding the descriptive help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mayur_verma
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

man command output to a txt file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to outut the man command output into a text file which will help me for future reference. 2.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariniiyer300
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using man command

hi linux expert how to use man command for get help about "extended regular expression"? many thanks samad (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
2 Replies
ATF(7)						       BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual						    ATF(7)

NAME
ATF -- introduction to the Automated Testing Framework DESCRIPTION
IMPORTANT: If you are here because you want to know how to run the tests in /usr/tests, you most likely want to read the tests(7) manual page instead. The Automated Testing Framework (ATF) is a collection of libraries and utilities designed to ease unattended application testing in the hands of developers and end users of a specific piece of software. As regards developers, ATF provides the necessary means to easily create test suites composed of multiple test programs, which in turn are a collection of test cases. It also attempts to simplify the debugging of problems when these test cases detect an error by providing as much information as possible about the failure. As regards users, it simplifies the process of running the test suites and, in special, encourages end users to run them often: they do not need to have source trees around nor any other development tools installed to be able to certify that a given piece of software works on their machine as advertised. If your operating systems distributes ATF, it is possible that it provides an introductory tests(7) manual page. You are encouraged to read it now. License ATF is distributed under the terms of the TNF License, a 2-clause BSD license. For more details please see: /usr/share/doc/atf/COPYING Components ATF is a highly modular piece of software. It provides a couple of libraries to ease the implementation of test programs: one for the C and C++ languages and another one for shell scripts. It also includes multiple small utilities that follow the principle of doing a single thing but doing it right. This section outlines which these components are. Public utilities: atf-check(1) Executes a command and checks that its exit code, its standard output and its standard error output match pre-speci- fied expected values. atf-config(1) Queries static configuration information. atf-report(1) Converts the output of atf-run to user-friendly and/or machine-parseable reports. atf-run(1) Automates the execution of a series of test programs and collects their results in a unified report. atf-sh(1) Shell interpreter for shell-based test programs. Programming interfaces: atf-c-api(3) C programming interface for test programs. atf-c++-api(3) C++ programming interface for test programs. atf-sh-api(3) POSIX shell programming interface for test programs. Other: atf-formats(5) Description of the machine-parseable data formats used by the tools. atf-test-case(4) Generic description of test cases, independent of the language they are implemented in. atf-test-program(1) Common interface provided by the test programs written using the ATF libraries. Recommended reading order For end users wishing to run tests: 1. tests(7) (only if provided by your operating system). 2. atf-test-program(1) 3. atf-run(1) 4. atf-report(1) 5. atf-config(1) For developers wanting to write their own tests: 1. Everything recommended to users. 2. atf-test-case(4) 3. atf-c-api(3) 4. atf-c++-api(3) 5. atf-sh-api(3) 6. atf-sh(1) 7. atf-check(1) For those interested in ATF internals: 1. Everything recommended to users. 2. Everything recommended to developers. 3. atf-formats(5) SEE ALSO
tests(7) HISTORY
ATF started as a Google Summer of Code 2007 project mentored by The NetBSD Foundation. Its original goal was to provide a testing framework for The NetBSD Operating System, but it grew as an independent project because the framework itself did not need to be tied to a specific operating system. For more details on this subject, please see: /usr/share/doc/atf/NEWS /usr/share/doc/atf/ROADMAP AUTHORS
For more details on the people that made ATF possible, please see: /usr/share/doc/atf/AUTHORS BSD
August 28, 2010 BSD