Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Executing a command in subshell Post 302869329 by Dish on Wednesday 30th of October 2013 06:06:32 AM
Old 10-30-2013
Executing a command in subshell

Hi All,

I am trying to create a shell script which runs on my linux machine.

The requirement is so that,
Code:
ade createview xyz -> this steps creates a view
ade useview xyz -> we are entering inside the view
ade begintrans -> begin a transaction

My script has following code :

lets say my view name is xyz

Code:
n=`ade createview xyz`
n=`ade useview xyz`
n=`ade begintrans`

When I run these commands separately in my system, everything works fine but while trying to run these commands via shell script, the
ade createview xyz

command is successful but it stucks at the second command. I read something about subshells and pipelines, and since the 3rd command must run after the 2nd command I tried the parenthesis and |, it doesnt work.

FYI, the second command changes the directory structure, inside from which only 3rd command can be run.

Please suggest that how do I make sure that the 2nd command changes the directory structure and in side which only 3rd command is run..

Also is there any way user can also see the output these commands prints while I run them separately directly on terminal.

Thanks in adv..
Dish

Last edited by Scott; 10-31-2013 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a command at startup

Hey all, How do I execute a file at startup automatically. From what I've read is that I need to put it into my .bashrc file. I'm not sure where to go from there. Can I just type commands into that and they'll run next time I restart my server? Right now I have added these lines: cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NathanWarden
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing command from subdirectories

Hello, I've been trying to run 'ls -1R | wc -l' inside of sub directories to in order to determine how big each folder is. find . -maxdepth 1 -type d | while read folder do cd "$folder" && echo "$folder has $(ls -1R | wc -l) files" && cd .. done or for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NoobProgrammer
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doing a capture while another command is executing?

Basically what i'm trying to do is execute an update command and at the same time have the system do a TCPdump to file for that update traffic. So I would like to connect the two commands so that the tcpdump terminates automatically when the update finishes/fails/whatever. Right now I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepare command before executing

Hi, Couldnt find the right string" to search for a similar question..so dont know if this has been answered yet...problem is that I want to prepare a command with the requisite parameters passed as a string before executing it...eg: the ls command .. I can pass "-l", "-t" as parameters and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: harman_6
12 Replies

5. AIX

Command executing to be in the background !

Guys I'm working to make in AIX script and I have some commands need to be excited by that script Like the below commands ... startsrc -s sshd I want that executing to be in the background of the system I do not like to see the out put of that (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd command not executing in if else loop

Hi, I am executing below script s1=`pwd` s2=/space if then echo "done" else echo "mistake" cd /tmp fi I am not able to migrate to /tmp directory if the condition is not true.However mistake is being printed.Means cd command is not working here.All other commands except cd are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: d8011
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which filesystem a command is executing from?

Hi. We can have one or more agents of a particular type running on our AIX and Solaris servers. As these agents have usually been installed into their own filesystems, I need to capture the filesystem names for auditing purposes. I've had a search through the forums can see something that fits the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smoosmoo
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

executing a command using ssh

Hi All, I am trying to execute a command using ssh as below. ssh user123@servername "which ctmcontb" It is gving the error as below no ctmcontb in /usr/bin /usr/sbin /opt/sysadm/bin Not sure from where the PATH is getting picked up. But When I login direclty to the server I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilreddy103
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Role not executing command

Hello Guys, I am studying RBAC. So I create a role called sysadm and gave it the "shutdown" profile. Now when I switch to that role, and execute the shutdown command $ shutdown -y -g0 -i5 The system responds with : shutdown: not found Can anyone help me with this please?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help executing command with options

Hi, I have this command in a shell script and I can get it to echo ok, but when I try to execute the command I get a "file not found" error. Which is strange because, if I copy and paste the same command at the cli it works ok. What am I doing wrong please? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
16 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)