Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script guru
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script guru Post 302869017 by vbe on Tuesday 29th of October 2013 01:19:35 PM
Old 10-29-2013
Perhaps if you told us what you got as error message, we would be more able to help...
We also like to know what shell you are using and knowing the OS does help...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Perl Guru help

I am trying to install Perl 5.005 on solaris 2.5, following the perl installation guide in INSTALL file that comes with Perl software However, according to the installation procedure, it instruct me to to excute "make" command after running the Configure which I did but everytime I excute... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sun guru help!

I installed sun recommended cluster patches for solaris 2.5 on my solaris 2.5 server and then issued a shutdown -i6 -y -g0 to reboot the server but server failed to come back up. the server tries to boot up and goes through initialising memory then server freeze. I try to bring the server up... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what do most Unix guru's use ? :D

I wanted to know what email app most Sun solaris / unix gurus use ? I have become quite NON microsoft in the last few months in my studying solaris.. thanks simon2000 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To all the Java guru...

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this post. I didn't see a good place to post this topic in. :D I would like to know what's the most popular and reliable Java IDE out there nowadays? A FREE one would be awesome! :D Thanks for your suggestion! Cheers! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

TAR prob - Guru's please help

I'm trying to tar 3000 files into a single tar file to be extracted on another server. Command I'm using: find . -name '*cost*' -print| xargs tar -cvf mylist.tar (Note tar is contained on filesystem not tape drive which is what I want) Above command works fine and displays all 3000+ file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script issues - Plse help guru's

Hi, I have written the following UNIX for HP-UX 11i. The script basically checks for files older then 45mins in 2 repective directories and then sends and email to the administrator about them. Problem with the script is that I can run it from the command line and crontabtab but 80% of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
2 Replies

7. AIX

-- Need help from a AIX guru --

Hi alls I don't see any solution and I need to have feedback from other people... On a test machine (AIX 5.1) I've installed OpenSSH software on it (with openssl, prng, etc...) like is described on IBM AIX Docs. To control the installation I've rebooted the machine and all was ok (CDE was... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

New PERL guru's help on strict.pm

I opened strict.pm and found some not understandable stuff, please let me know if you have any Idea on the same. 1) Line 23 => $bits |= (what is $= here how it affect the statement) 2) Line 36 => $^H (what is that I haven't found any statement on this in google) 3) Line 41 =>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatanig
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Noob and Guru

A long time ago, my computer crashed, at that time, I was using Windows98, but because I was a noob at computers, my friend recommended me apro to fix it for me.   He came, saw the computer, and asked if I had a backup/installation disk for Windows 98. I said no.   He thought about it for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vistastar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help from a C++ makefile guru

hello, i'm recompiling some c++ code for OSX and there are some bugs as the configure is not picking up some libs like atlas, pastix, etc, it should be finding either in standard path or with pkgconfig but it's not so i'm rewriting the Makefile. C++ territory is a bit of a stretch with all of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
0 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)