Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed Very Slow
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed Very Slow Post 302863031 by jim mcnamara on Friday 11th of October 2013 10:26:48 PM
Old 10-11-2013
Something is very wrong here. sed can process 10+ GB's/hour on a modern machine.
Please show the output of:

Code:
ls -l [one of your xml files]
wc -l [the same xml file]

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Slow

The site has gone slow for quite some time... Can you do somethin abt it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slow System

Hi, I have an SCO-Unix server running. There are some processes (unknown to me) which consume a lot of the system resources. This slows down the server dramatically. Is there a command or program that monitors what processes are using the cpu, disk, etc.. and tell me how excessive and how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hansaplast
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Slow Login

Hi All, I have problem when i write my user name to login to my server late (about 10 min) to give me field of password if u know how i can solve it? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mass1123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut too slow

Hi I am using a cut command in the script which is slowing down the performance of the script .can anyone suggest the other ways of doing the same cut command Record_Type=`echo "$line" | cut -c19-20` *******this is slowing down********* i have 4 more cut commands 2 in one loop and 2 in inner... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pukars4u
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut, sed, awk too slow to retrieve line - other options?

Hi, I have a script that, basically, has two input files of this type: file1 key1=value1_1_1 key2=value1_2_1 key4=value1_4_1 ... file2 key2=value2_2_1 key2=value2_2_2 key3=value2_3_1 key4=value2_4_1 ... My files are 10k lines big each (approx). The keys are strings that don't... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzd
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed working slow on big files

HI Experts , I'm using the following code to remove spaces appearing at the end of the file. sed "s/*$//g" <filename> > <new_filename> mv <new_filename> <filename> this is working fine for volumes upto 20-25 GB. for the bigger files it is taking more time that it is required... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumoka
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why is SED so slow?

I have many files which contain about two million lines. Now I want to use sed to delete the 9th line and add a new line behind the 8th line. I use the command as follows: for((i=1;i<100;i++)); do echo $i; sed -i '9d' $i.dat; sed -i '8a this is a new line' $i.dat; done But it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxuyec
3 Replies
XMLSTARLET(1)                                                    xmlstarlet Manual                                                   XMLSTARLET(1)

NAME
xmlstarlet - command line XML/XSLT toolkit SYNOPSIS
xmlstarlet [<options>] [<command>] [<cmd-options>] INTRODUCTION
XMLStarlet is a set of command line utilities (tools) which can be used to transform, query, validate, and edit XML documents and files us- ing simple set of shell commands in similar way it is done for plain text files using UNIX grep, sed, awk, diff, patch, join, etc commands. This set of command line utilities can be used by those who deal with many XML documents on UNIX shell command prompt as well as for auto- mated XML processing with shell scripts. OPTIONS
--version Display the version of xmlstarlet. --help Display help. COMMANDS
Type: xmlstarlet <command> --help <ENTER> for command help Available commands include: ed (or edit) Edit/update XML document(s). sel (or select) Select data or query XML document(s) (XPATH, etc). tr (or transform) Transform XML documents(s) using XSLT. val (or validate) Validate XML document(s) (well-formed/DTD/XSD/RelaxNG). fo (or format) Format XML document(s). el (or elements) Display element structure of XML document. c14n (or canonic) XML canonicalization. ls (or list) List directory as XML. esc (or escape) Escape special XML characters. unesc (or unescape) Unescape special XML characters. pyx (or xmln) Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879). p2x (or depyx) Convert PYX into XML. REFERENCES
XMLStarlet is a command line toolkit to query/edit/check/transform XML documents (for more information see http://xmlstar.source- forge.net/). AUTHOR
Mikhail Grushinskiy. XMLSTARLET(1)