Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - how to compare part of the string? Post 302862649 by Subbeh on Friday 11th of October 2013 07:36:04 AM
Old 10-11-2013
Code:
awk -F, -v c=001 'substr($5,0,3)==c' file

This will print the line if the first three numbers of the 5th field are 001.
This User Gave Thanks to Subbeh For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Part of string from 3rd field $3 using AWK

I'm executing "wc -lc" command in a c shell script to get record count and byte counts and writing them to a file. I get the result with the full pathname of the file. But I do not want the path name to be printed in the output file. I heard that using Awk we can get this but I don't have any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stakuri
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get part of string in awk from match

Hi, Im an awk noob and I am having trouble trying to get matches. Here is my script: #!/bin/gawk -f BEGIN {} $0 ~ /<a href=".*">.*<\/a>/{print} Ideally I want to be able to get the actual link and print it. In PHP you can do preg_replace and get the match you want by using \\1 where 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adsyuk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Awk command to get part of string based on delimeter

HI, Need awk command to get date and time alone from Input : "15:29:15 28.08.2010|SCHEDULE: Started program POSG1" Output expected : "15:29:15 28.08.2010" Please help. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanneykar
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk]compare a number in a string with a list

Hi, I have a program written in awk and I want to extend it to do another task. My program is a list of CVS log reports of a repository. For each file, I have some fields. One of the fields is the comment field. I want to know how I can check if a comment (which is a free text field)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepk1611
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if statement to evaluate string and compare

I have the following simplified code that I am planning on putting into a larger shell script. I have been butchering it to try and make work amongst google searches and reading awk documentation. amixer sset Master toggle | awk '{ if ( /^ Front Left/ { print $7 } == // ) print "MUTED" }'I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: process a part of string, leaving others unchanged

Hello, I have a bunch of strings of the following format: 11.22.33.44.in-addr.arpa x.y.z. What I want to do is format each string in this way: 44.33.22.11 x.y.z i.e. the string conists of two columns, where delimiter is space. I need to output modified first column (delimiter inside... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerorange
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String compare using awk - what am I doing wrong?

Hi all, I was doing some string manipulation in my script and wanted to try using awk. However, I have been stuck with string compare. A simplified form of my conundrum is given below: The below prints expected result (prints "Completed because that is the second element"): $ echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: faraway
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass column number as variable to awk and compare with a string.

Hi All, I have a file test.txt. Content of test.txt : 1 vinay se 2 kumar sse 4 kishore tl I am extracting the content of file with below command. awk '$2 ~ "vinay" {print $0}' test.txt Now instead of hardcoding $2 is there any way pass $2 as variable and compare with a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
CheckDigits::M10_004(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 CheckDigits::M10_004(3pm)

NAME
CheckDigits::M10_004 - compute check digits for 2aus5, EAN, ILN, ISBN13, NVE SYNOPSIS
use Algorithm::CheckDigits; $ean = CheckDigits('ean'); if ($ean->is_valid('7622200004607')) { # do something } $cn = $ean->complete('762220000460'); # $cn = '7622200004607' $cd = $ean->checkdigit('7622200004607'); # $cd = '7' $bn = $ean->basenumber('7622200004607'); # $bn = '762220000460' DESCRIPTION
ALGORITHM 1. Beginning right all numbers are weighted alternatively 1 and 3 (that is the check digit is weighted 1). 2. The sum of all products is computed. 3. The sum of step 3 ist taken modulo 10. 4. The check digit is the difference between 10 and the number from step 3. To validate the total of the digits of all numbers inclusive check digit taken modulo 10 must be 0. METHODS is_valid($number) Returns true only if $number consists solely of digits, spaces and hyphen and the last digit is a valid check digit according to the algorithm given above. Returns false otherwise, complete($number) The check digit for $number is computed and concatenated to the end of $number. Returns the complete number with check digit or '' if $number does not consist solely of digits, spaces and hyphen. basenumber($number) Returns the basenumber of $number if $number has a valid check digit. Return '' otherwise. checkdigit($number) Returns the checkdigit of $number if $number has a valid check digit. Return '' otherwise. EXPORT None by default. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
When invoked as "CheckDigits('isbn13')" the module checks whether the first three digits (the country code) are 978 or 979, the current (as of 2006) EAN country codes for books. If at any time other EAN country codes for ISBN-13 will be specified and the then responsible maintainer ignores this in the code, please send a friendly email. AUTHOR
Mathias Weidner, <mathias@weidner.in-bad-schmiedeberg.de> SEE ALSO
perl, CheckDigits, www.pruefziffernberechnung.de. perl v5.10.0 2008-05-17 CheckDigits::M10_004(3pm)