Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print file names in a loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print file names in a loop Post 302860849 by blackrageous on Monday 7th of October 2013 10:57:53 AM
Old 10-07-2013
Code:
ls | grep -v "[0-9]$"

This User Gave Thanks to blackrageous For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to print file names in a certain date range using ls

I need to list only file names of a specific date from the command ls -lt. :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shamwari
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Names in a Variable in a loop

Hi All , I am having confusion in a shell script. Please guide me. I need to get multiple files (number of files vary time to time, file names are separated by '|') using FTP get from the remote server. Actually, i call the FTP function in a loop. At the last step, i need to move all the get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with File Names under tcsh loop

Hello, I have a question regarding file naming under a loop in tcsh. I have the following code: #!/bin/tcsh foreach file (test/ProteinDirectory/*) # The * is a bunch of ProteinFile1, ProteinFile2, ProteinFile3, etc. sh /bioinfo/home/dgendoo/THREADER/pGenThreader.sh $file $file ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print numbers along with file names.

Hi All, I have some thousand files with names like 1.syl, 2.syl, 5.syl etc. These files contain one sentence each. I want to store all those sentences along with the file ID that is 1, 2, 5 with the sentences they contain. For example, 1.syl has this is a test line 2.syl has ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove first few characters from multiple file names without do loop?

Hi Fellows, I was wondering how I can remove first few characters from multiple file names without do loop in unix? e.g. water123.xyz water456.xyz to 123.xyz 456.xyz Thanks Paul Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find 2 occurrences of a word and print file names

I was thinking something like this but it always gets rid of the file location. grep -roh base. | wc -l find . -type f -exec grep -o base {} \; | wc -l Would this be a job for awk? Would I need to store the file locations in an array? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using nested for loop to iterate over file names

I'm trying to grab a list of file names from a directory, then process those files 5 at a time. In the link below. Instead of using files I'm using the files array which contains 15 strings starting with AAA. So I'm trying to assign $fileset 5 of the strings at a time to pass to a command. So... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zBernie
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop a file containing list of file names until the files are found?

Hi, I have a control file which will contain all filenames(300) files. Loop through all the file names in the control files and check the existence of this file in another directory(same server). I need to infinitely(2 hrs) run this while loop until all the files are found. Once a file is found,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

9. Programming

FORTRAN: Loop over variable file names

Hi guys I'm a beginner in fortran. So excuse me for my naivety, let me briefly describe what I was trying to do. I have let's say 2 files named reac-1 and reac-2. After opening these files I've to do some calculations, close these files and open the same files again in a loop. So my faulty code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the output with different file names

I have a python script that gives output called test.png. By using the following command I run the script every 2 seconds. What is the easiest way to save the output as follows ( test.png (1st output), tes1.png (second output), tes2.png ....) Command I i use while sleep 2; do python... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)