Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Change service name permanently Post 302857275 by leo_ultra_leo on Wednesday 25th of September 2013 09:38:29 PM
Old 09-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Understand this: If he has the power to start and stop services, the battle is already lost. He could ignore them and install his own, rootkit you, replace everything, do whatever he wanted.
Yes sir this is also under my consideration, I know it's kind of crazy, but let me try it. I want also to change the service command name, and the reboot command, and any other command could effect the system.

In other word, I want to keep the system as is, but in the same time I wanna give different names for the services and any command under /sbin directory.
I hope that everybody here understand my point, I do highly respect iptables and SELinux as a security systems for sure, but I want to add more security to the system, changing all the effective commands (and paths if availableSmilie ).

On the other hand, what if I want to run a special service in a specific time in my system and I don't want anybody knows what this service do (like monitoring service for bad users or admins), and I want in the same time change this service name to a misleading name, no one can discover this service, and that's why I want am alternative service instead of crond (see my other topic in this forum), to schedule this service in the dark Smilie. This is for sure should be done with filtering any log files that made by this.
The thing that I do believe with, is Linux doable, and can do it. Any suggestions and criticizes are most welcomed.

Last edited by leo_ultra_leo; 09-25-2013 at 10:44 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

permanently change KDE DPI

I know this has been asked before but everything I have found on the subject either does not apply or does not work. I am trying to set my DPI under KDE in slackware 12.1 to 75. startx -- -dpi 75 works fine as expected. I have an intel video card. this is my xorg.conf: Section "ServerLayout"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change IP permanently without Yast?

Folks; i have a SUSE 10 box and i need to change the IP/GW & Netmask on it but without Yast tool. Which files/services needed to be edited or restarted to make it happen? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katkota
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace permanently

i have a few scripts in which i need to find string"ali1@abcd.com" and replace it with "ali@abcd.com" i used 2 below commands but none of them is permanently replacing the old string in the script s.sh perl -pi -e 's/ali1@abcd.com/ali@abcd.com/g' s.sh sed 's/ali1@abcd.com/ali@abcd.com/g'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
7 Replies

4. Solaris

delete routing permanently

How can I remove permanently a route from the routing table? I have the following: root@aiwutr1>netstat -rnv IRE Table: IPv4 Destination Mask Gateway Device Mxfrg Rtt Ref Flg Out In/Fwd -------------------- --------------- --------------------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gianluca.p
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gmail revert to old look permanently

I thought I would share gmail revert to old look permanently. I am sure I am not the only one annoyed by the new look. Install Stylish extension Choose the Stylish UserStyle that you want. I know The Return of Old Gmail and gmail-b2b both work but I prefer gmail-b2b since I think it looks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change service order

hi guys I have a service that depends on some shares (NFS shares ) that need to be mounted before before the service start so the service-app finds the NFS shares and starts correctly... I am confused here this is what I found but I am not sure what to do in order to change it BTW is Suse... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Set autolist permanently

Hi , How to set autolist permanently in Solaris 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit.padhiyar
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-HALT.SERVICE(8) 				       systemd-halt.service					   SYSTEMD-HALT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-halt.service, systemd-poweroff.service, systemd-reboot.service, systemd-kexec.service, systemd-shutdown - System shutdown logic SYNOPSIS
systemd-halt.service systemd-poweroff.service systemd-reboot.service systemd-kexec.service /lib/systemd/systemd-shutdown /lib/systemd/system-shutdown/ DESCRIPTION
systemd-halt.service is a system service that is pulled in by halt.target and is responsible for the actual system halt. Similarly, systemd-poweroff.service is pulled in by poweroff.target, systemd-reboot.service by reboot.target and systemd-kexec.service by kexec.target to execute the respective actions. When these services are run, they ensure that PID 1 is replaced by the /lib/systemd/systemd-shutdown tool which is then responsible for the actual shutdown. Before shutting down, this binary will try to unmount all remaining file systems, disable all remaining swap devices, detach all remaining storage devices and kill all remaining processes. It is necessary to have this code in a separate binary because otherwise rebooting after an upgrade might be broken -- the running PID 1 could still depend on libraries which are not available any more, thus keeping the file system busy, which then cannot be re-mounted read-only. Immediately before executing the actual system halt/poweroff/reboot/kexec systemd-shutdown will run all executables in /lib/systemd/system-shutdown/ and pass one arguments to them: either "halt", "poweroff", "reboot" or "kexec", depending on the chosen action. All executables in this directory are executed in parallel, and execution of the action is not continued before all executables finished. Note that systemd-halt.service (and the related units) should never be executed directly. Instead, trigger system shutdown with a command such as "systemctl halt" or suchlike. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.special(7), reboot(2), systemd-suspend.service(8) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-HALT.SERVICE(8)