Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find a string and then return the next 20 characters in multiple files Post 302857057 by jdinero on Wednesday 25th of September 2013 11:12:05 AM
Old 09-25-2013
Find a string and then return the next 20 characters in multiple files

Hello all,

I have a directory with 2000+ files. I need to look in each file for an invoice number. To identify this, i can search for the string 'BIG' and then retrieve the next 30 characters. I was thinking awk for this, but not sure how to do it. Each file contains one long string and in the middle is the invoice number. If i can find the position of the 'BIG' pattern, then grab the next 30 characters, I can extrapolate the invoice number I need.

I basically need to pull out all 2000+ invoice numbers and put them in one file, one invoice number per line.

Any help is much appreciated??

SAMPLE input:
Code:
TEST FILE|USING|NEW|SYSTEM|BIG|20130924|49685234|THIS ISNT THE END|BYE

output needed:
Code:
BIG|20130924|49685234

keep in mind i need to do this to 2000+ files in one directory.

THANKS!

Jennifer

Last edited by Corona688; 09-25-2013 at 03:34 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find string and return next 2 lines

I am trying to create a script to search for a string within a file, and if found, return the next two lines. Example file:- msj mh query return this 1 return this 2 mjk mhj query return this 3 return this 4 So the script would identify the string "query" and then return the lines... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string from multiple dir and redirect to new files

Hi, I am new to script and I want find one string from multiple files in diff directories and put that out put to new file. Like I have A,B & C directories and each has multiple files but one file is unic in all the directories like COMM.txt Now I want write script to find the string... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahessh123
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find particular string in multiple files with in the current directory.

Hello friends, Plz suggest the find command, How to search a string in a paticular string in miltiple files with current dirctory.:) Thanks in advance. Siva Ranganath Ch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find particular string in multiple files

Hello friends, I have find a paticular string from the files present in my user for example: a username and password is hardcoded in multiple files which present in the my user.so I have to search about username in which files it is available.there are several dirctories are there,so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to find string and return following characters from list of files

Hi, I'm fairly new to UNIX, but hopefully some-one can help me with this: I am using the following code to find files with the name "example.xml": find . -name "example.xml" -print that would print me a list like the example here: ./dir1/dir2/example.xml... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boijie
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert multiple characters in string

Hello, newb here :o How do I add square brackets before and after the first character in a string using sed? e.g. 0123456 123456 My attempts have been fruitless. sed 's/.\{0\}//' Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyuk
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting | Return list of unique characters in files

Hi, I am trying to script the below, but I am not very good at it :( Your help would be greatly appreciated. 1. read all files in the directory in strings strings *.* 2. in each file, for each line that contains "ABCD", store characters located at position 521 and 522 of this line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: clippertm
9 Replies
rc.config(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      rc.config(4)

NAME
rc.config, rc.config.d - files containing system configuration information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system configuration used at startup is contained in files within the directory The file sources all of the files within and and exports their contents to the environment. /etc/rc.config The file is a script that sources all of the scripts, and also sources To read the configuration definitions, only this file need be sourced. This file is sourced by whenever it is run, such as when the command is run to transition between run states. Each file that exists in is sourced, without regard to which startup scripts are to be executed. /etc/rc.config.d The configuration information is structured as a directory of files, rather than as a single file containing the same information. This allows developers to create and manage their own configuration files here, without the complications of shared ownership and access of a common file. /etc/rc.config.d/* Files This is where files containing configuration variable assignments are located. Configuration scripts must be written to be read by the POSIX shell, and not the Bourne shell, or In some cases, these files must also be read and possibly modified by control scripts or the sam program. See sd(4) and sam(1M). For this reason, each variable definition must appear on a separate line, with the syntax: No trailing comments may appear on a variable definition line. Comment statements must be on separate lines, with the comment character in column one. This example shows the required syntax for configuration files: Configuration variables may be declared as array parameters when describing multiple instances of the variable configuration. For example, a system may contain two network interfaces, each having a unique IP address and subnet mask (see ifconfig(1M)). An example of such a dec- laration is as follows: Note that there must be no requirements on the order of the files sourced. This means configuration files must not refer to variables defined in other configuration files, since there is no guarantee that the variable being referenced is currently defined. There is no protection against environment variable namespace collision in these configuration files. Programmers must take care to avoid such prob- lems. /etc/TIMEZONE The file contains the definition of the environment variable. This file is required by POSIX. It is sourced by at the same time the files are sourced. SEE ALSO
rc(1M). rc.config(4)