Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Piping the "script" command through the logger command. Post 302852841 by Corona688 on Thursday 12th of September 2013 01:12:19 PM
Old 09-12-2013
This is a tricky one, because each chain of pipes creates more possibilities for buffering and stalling.

Since you're creating a file anyway, why not tail it, to feed it into logger instead of putting a pipe in the way?

Code:
: > $LOGFILE.log
( tail -f $LOGFILE.log | /bin/logger ) &

trap "kill $!" EXIT # Kill the logger subshell on exit

${SCRIPT} -a -f -q ${LOGFILE}.log

I'm not sure that feeding raw, binary keystrokes into logger is a terrific idea, though. A lot of what script saves, only looks nice when dumped to a shell.

Also, instead of echo "" > /dev/null as a do-nothing stub, you can use the easier and simpler :

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to distinguish between "command not found" and "command with no result"

system() call imeplemented in solaris is such a way that: Command not found - return code 1 Command executed successfully without Output - return code 1 how to distinguish between these two based on return code in a c - file? Can you help on this ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iitmadhu
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to install "source" command!/ broken "login.cl"!

Hello, I am new to this forums and this is my first "asking help" message! i have 2 problems: 1- for unknown reasons the "source" command is not avalable in my system (UBUNTU). i can't either see it in my bin directory! 2- again for unknown reasons the "login.cl" file in the home... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: astrosona
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the meaning of "!:*" in "alias foo 'command\!:*' filename"

Hi: How can I remove my own post? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies
logger(1)							   User Commands							 logger(1)

NAME
logger - add entries to the system log SYNOPSIS
logger [-i] [-f file] [-p priority] [-t tag] [message] ... DESCRIPTION
The logger command provides a method for adding one-line entries to the system log file from the command line. One or more message argu- ments can be given on the command line, in which case each is logged immediately. If this is unspecified, either the file indicated with -f or the standard input is added to the log. Otherwise, a file can be specified, in which case each line in the file is logged. If neither is specified, logger reads and logs messages on a line-by-line basis from the standard input. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -ffile Uses the contents of file as the message to log. -i Logs the process ID of the logger process with each line. -ppriority Enters the message with the specified priority. The message priority can be specified numerically, or as a facility.level pair. For example, `-p local3.info' assigns the message priority to the info level in the local3 facility. The default pri- ority is user.notice. -ttag Marks each line added to the log with the specified tag. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: message One of the string arguments whose contents are concatenated together, in the order specified, separated by single space charac- ters. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Examples of the logger command The following example: example% logger System rebooted logs the message `System rebooted' to the default priority level notice to be treated by syslogd as are other messages to the facility user. The next example: example% logger -p local0.notice -t HOSTIDM -f /dev/idmc reads from the file /dev/idmc and logs each line in that file as a message with the tag `HOSTIDM' at priority level notice to be treated by syslogd as are other messages to the facility local0. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of logger: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mailx(1), write(1), syslogd(1M), syslog(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 logger(1)