Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to cut only letters?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to cut only letters? Post 302851785 by PTcharger on Monday 9th of September 2013 04:30:11 PM
Old 09-09-2013
Now that I think about it, I wasn't really clear with my question. I was hoping to cut the items into a new file. Something like cut "just letters"> newfile

It seems like the answers will all remove the letters (or in ths case, spoons, cups,etc.)and will leave just the numbers. However, I want the opposite.

---------- Post updated at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:25 PM ----------

Actually the full line is something like this:

Spoons50Joe
Cups29John
Forks50Jack
Plates29Sam

I want to cut the first part (spoons, cups, forks, plates) and create a new file containing a list of those items only. I don't want to remove all the letters (just the names at the end) and since there is no space, I can't use -f -d

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

transposing letters

Hi, I've written a shell function in bash that reads letters into an array, then outputs them in one column with: for n in "${array}"; do echo $n done I was wondering if anyone knew how i would transpose the letters that are output by the for loop. Right now my output is: aabbcc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: myscsa2004
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim letters

Hello, I have a list of words.. ranging from 4 to any characters long.. to not more than 20 though. How can I select only first seven letters of the list of words? example:- wwwwwwwwww eeeee wererreetf sdsarddrereewtewt sdsdsds sdsd ereetetttt ewtwertwrttrttrtrtwtrww I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to strip few letters

Hey guys.. Can experts help me in achieving my purpose.. I have a file which contains email address of some 100 to 1000 domains, I need only the domain names.. Eg: abc@yahoo.com hd@gamil.com ed@hotmail.com The output should contain only Yahoo.com ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achararun
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add letters

I want to add letters A,B,C,… in front of every line of input while printing them out using PERL. eg A file is parsed as a cmd line arg and its context will be displayed as A line1... B line 2.. I tried this..but I want better and perfect solution! !perl -p my $counter; BEGIN { $counter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Random letters

Hi there, first of all this is not homework...this is a new type of exercise for practicing vocabulary with my students. I have a file consisting of two columns, separated by a tab, each line consisting of a word and its definition, separated by a line break. What i need is to replace a... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
cups-browsed(8) 														   cups-browsed(8)

NAME
cups-browsed - A daemon for browsing the Bonjour broadcasts of shared, remote CUPS printers SYNOPSIS
cups-browsed [-v | -d | --debug] DESCRIPTION
cups-browsed has three independently switchable functions: 1. Browse Bonjour broadcasts of remote printers and create/remove local raw queues pointing to these printers. 2. Browse CUPS broadcasts of remote printers and create/remove local raw queues pointing to these printers. 3. Broadcast local queues with the CUPS protocol. OPTIONS
-v, -d, --debug Debug mode FILES
/etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf NOTES
Please take references to cups 1.6.x to include newer versions. Similarily, cups 1.5.x is intended to encompass older versions too. In environments with only cups 1.6.x servers and clients (plus cups-browsed on either server or client or both) the function described in 1. enables the automatic discovery of remote queues and their display in printing dialogues of applications and with command line tools. The facility provided by 3. means that servers running cups 1.6.x plus cups-browsed can broadcast their local queues so that clients with cups 1.5.x get these queues automatically available. The outcome of 2. is that clients running cups 1.6.x plus cups-browsed can use the CUPS broadcasts from servers with cups 1.5.x. As with browsing of Bonjour broadcasts, the created local raw queues are available to appli- cations and command line tools. SEE ALSO
cups-browsed.conf(5) /usr/share/doc/cups-filters/README AUTHOR
The authors of cups-browsed are listed in /usr/share/doc/cups-filters/AUTHORS. This manual page was written for the Debian Project, but it may be used by others. 29 June 2013 cups-browsed(8)