Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Access permissions chmod 606
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Access permissions chmod 606 Post 302849753 by Simza on Tuesday 3rd of September 2013 07:47:20 AM
Old 09-03-2013
Access permissions chmod 606

Hi All

I am running Ubuntu linux flavour.
I need provide multiple users belonging to the same group access to a dir where they can write files but are not supposed to remove or rename files. users outside the group should be able to read and write to the dir.

i have set the permission of the dir to 606 (chmod 606). The group members are however able rename files. How can achieve my goal as set above?

Regards
Simza

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root access on sun os and permissions

Currently have root access to our own boxes on site. HQ wants to take root access away from us. What does root access provide that is unavailable for users as it is essential for us to keep local control. We log in as users but have su for special needs. On all other os boxes we have admin... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allinone
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory permissions and CHMOD

I am working on a new UNIX box that has been delivered to us, and noticed that the /home directory has 555 permissions on it (dr-xr-xr-x). Any attempt to create write permissions fails on this directory (such as chmod 777), responding only with a message; chmod: WARNING: can't change home ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncarmstrong
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod permissions

Is there any way that you can set it up so when you create a file it has the chmod permissions of u+x? I am not a root user on the system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: himurak
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

chmod (permissions) * not working on remote server

Hi gurus ! I am developing a FTP script which will copy all the files from one server to another server and then I need to use CHMOD 755 * to set permissions of all the files just copied to the remote server. mput * chmod 755 * CHMOD gives me an error CHMOD works fine If I specify... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls and chmod numeric permissions

Hello, When I do a "ls -l" I can see my directories have drwxr-xr-xr. I am more used to the chmod numerical syntax like 755. Is there an easy way to list out the numerical permissions rather than rwx etc. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rondebbs
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix chmod permissions

Hello all, Trying to do the following. 1. Run Windows installer from a unix server. 2. Let user run the shortcut but not allow access to the folder where the exe itself is running. What I have done so far: 1. Copied the application to the server and placed in a folder called "data".... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whiterabbit
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing permissions on a 444 file (ie chmod 444)

if I have a file set to permisions 444 (r-- r-- r--) should anyone other than the owner and root be able to change these permissions or delete the file. Apologies if this is a no-brainer but I cant test it myself and someone in our organisation is playin around with files they shouldnt be (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

file access permissions

Hi everybody, following is the scenario; OS HP UX 11.23 two users: # id bodi uid=109(bodi) gid=20(users) groups=1(other),2(bin),3(sys),106(oinstall) # id ossmed uid=121(ossmed) gid=20(users) umask 077 directory name /home/mydir directory permissions drwxrwxrwx requirement: to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajays
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Change access permissions

I purchased a 2TB hard drive, split it into two partitions, and formatted it as NTFS. I want to use the drive on my pc and my mac. How can I change the access permissions so Mac OS 10.4.11 will let me write to the drive? I tried this: $ chmod +a "admin allow write" /volumes/V2_Mac chmod:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Me&MyMac
3 Replies

10. Linux

Permissions and access to data

Hi Operating system Red Hat Enterprise 5.8, Data access Mac/PC environment on various OS levels. Access via smb I am trying to set up a data shared area where a user group can read and write to its own directory, but can only write to another groups directory. Example: I have set up two... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: treds
1 Replies
chmod(1)						      General Commands Manual							  chmod(1)

Name
       chmod - change file mode

Syntax
       chmod [ -fR ] mode file...

Description
       Permissions on files are set according to mode and file parameters.

For file, you can specify either a full or partial path.  You can specify multiple files, separated by spaces.

For mode, you specify one of two variants: absolute mode or symbolic mode.

Absolute Mode
       For mode in absolute form, you specify an octal number constructed from the sum of one or more of the following values:

4000	set user ID on execution (applies to executable files only)
	      2000	set group ID on execution (applies to executable files only)
	      1000	set sticky bit (see for more information)
	      0400	read by owner
	      0200	write by owner
	      0100	execute, or search if file is a directory, by owner
	      0040	read by group
	      0020	write by group
	      0010	execute, or search if file is a directory, by group
	      0004	read by others
	      0002	write by others
	      0001	execute, or search if file is a directory, by others

For  example, the absolute mode value that provides read, write, and execute permission to owner, read and execute permission to group, and
       read and execute permission to others is 755 (400+200+100+40+10+4+1).  The absolute mode value that provides read, write, and execute  per-
       mission to owner and no permission to group or others is 700 (400+200+100).

Symbolic Mode
       To specify mode in symbolic form, use the following format:

[who] op permission [op permission] ...  Spaces are included in the preceding format so that you can read the arguments; however, as
	      will be shown in examples that follow, you do not enter spaces between mode arguments.

Specify who using the letters u (for owner), g (for group) and o (for others) either alone or in combination.  You  can	also  specify  the
       letter  a (for all), which is is equivalent to the letter combination ugo.  If you omit the who parameter, a is assumed.  For more informa-
       tion, see

For the op parameter, specify the plus sign (+) to add permission to the file's mode, the minus sign (-)  to  remove  permission  from  the
       file's  mode,  or the equal sign (=) to assign permission absolutely (denying or revoking any permission not explicitly specified following
       the equal sign).  The first command in the following example provides group with execute permission for in addition to  any  other  permis-
       sions group currently has for The second command limits the permission that group has for to execute alone:
       chmod g+x filea
       chmod g=x fileb

For  the  permission  parameter,  specify any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), s (set owner or group id), and t
       (save text - sticky).  Alternatively, you can specify the letter u, g, or o to set permission for the who parameter to be the same  as  the
       permission  currently granted to the user category indicated by the letter.  In the following example, the group (g) is given the same per-
       missions on as currently granted to owner (u):
       chmod g=u filea

You can revoke all permissions by specifying the who argument followed by =, and omitting the permission argument.  For example,  the  fol-
       lowing command removes all permissions from others for
       chmod o= fileb

When  specifying  more than one symbolic mode for file, separate the modes with commas. The mode changes are applied in the sequence speci-
       fied.  In the following example, write permission is added to the permissions already granted to the owner of and group is then granted the
       same permissions on as granted the owner:
       chmod u+w,g=u filea

Options
       -f   Inhibits display of errors that are returned if fails to change the mode on a file.

-R   Causes  to	recursively descend any directories subordinate to file and to set the specified mode for each file encountered.  However,
	    when symbolic links are encountered, does not change the mode of the link file and does not traverse  the  path  associated  with  the
	    link.  Note that the option is useful only when file identifies a directory that is not empty.

Restrictions
       The permission letter s is used only with who letter u or g.

Only the owner of a file  or someone logged on as superuser may change the mode of that file.

Examples
       Using  absolute	mode,  provide	read,  write, and search permission to the owner, and read and search permission to others for a directory
       named
       chmod 755 ~harris/public

Using absolute mode, set the UID for execution to be the UID of of the file owner rather than the UID of the user running  the  program	as
       follows:
       chmod 4000 progrmb

Using symbolic mode, perform the same operation as described for the preceding example:
       chmod u=s progrmb

Using symbolic mode, deny write permission to others for the file
       chmod o-w ourspec

Using symbolic mode, give execute permission on file to all user categories:
       chmod +x myprog

Using symbolic mode, give write permission to all group members, deny write permission to others, and give search permission to owner on
       chmod g+w,o-r,u+x docdir

Using  symbolic	mode, give read and execute permissions to others for a directory named and then recursively descend the paths subordinate
       to adding the  same permissions for others on all files and directories included in the subordinate paths:
       chmod -R o+rx programs
       In the preceding example, if were the name of a file rather than a directory, would change the mode only of the file.

See Also
       ls(1), chmod(2), stat(2), umask(2), chown(8)

chmod(1)